Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FYI Cap one

tag
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

FYI Cap one

This is just a little info for those that tract aa taken by ccc's.  I was notified today that due to non use, ( 18 months ),  my QS card was reduced from 24k to 10k.  I called and cancelled the card since I have no intentions of using it any more.  I have been thinking of closing my Chase card too since it is my lowest limit card at 10k.  I think I am getting close to applying for a Penfed card.  It has been 2 1/2 yrs since I have aped for any  new cards.  

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Re: FYI Cap one

This is interesting because up to now, Capital One CLDs seem to have happened on cards with limits that are 30K or over.

Message 2 of 9
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

well, not surprised at all they lowered your limit for non-use. Thats a pretty hefty CL to be just sitting around, and not in use. They can give that to someone who actually uses their card. Also, $10k CL is nothing to just sneeze at, its a respectable limit, but if its not too you, then get rid of all your "low limit $10k" cards.
Good luck on the PF app!
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your score seems low for PenFed, I would wait another year or two.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Low? Aren't OPs scores in the 800s? I don't think that's low for anyone 

Message 5 of 9
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Lol,  good one.  Gave me my chuckle for the day.

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

It happened to me too yesterday. 

Somehow the message was deleted but the gist of it "... due to low spend..."

From 20k to 10k.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not surprising to me -- Capital One has a small but still relatively "big" exposure to cobranded credit cards in a market that is absolutely tanking: notably, retail chains.  Capital One relies on ABS investors for a good amount of credit lending, and with a shrinking market they're not showing the returns of some other ABS portfolios out there.  I can't find any public releases about it that are recent but even the most recent public release back in June 2017 talks about this a little bit.

If Capital One can't get as much interest in securitizing credit cards, they still need capitalization for the people using those cards.  If you aren't using it, someone else will, and those folks may be more likely to actually earn back an investor's profit.

I am curious if Capital One's credit limit increases are related at all to style of spend (in-store swipe versus online transaction) because Capital One is so heavily invested in cobranded store cards (see list of stores here).

Message 8 of 9
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It happened to me too yesterday. 

Somehow the message was deleted but the gist of it "... due to low spend..."

From 20k to 10k.

Can I ask how much you spent on average per month on that card?

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.