Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed recon with Chase :(

tag
ccole93
New Contributor

Failed recon with Chase :(

Hi everyone. I have some sad news... I applied for a Chase Sapphire and my application was "under review." Naturally, I knew it was rejected, so I called and inquired about it to the regular line. The girl wasn't interested in helping so I called the back door number and spoke to an extremely nice gentleman who seemed like he really wanted to help me. We talked for a while, I told him I currently own a Chase Freedom and that I would love to have a second card. (It's true, though! Chase is my favorite company!) He was very eager to help and said he'd try to push the application through for me.

Sadly, he couldn't. My highest limit right now is $750 with Capital One so he couldn't justify jumping me to a $5,000 card. I was severely bummed but not surprised. He went on for a while about how I have a fantastic payment history; no black marks whatsoever, and that I should definitely try applying for a different card. I figured I'd give it a shot but rejection cuts like a knife. :'( My credit score is sort of bad right now so I'm gonna hold off on applying for anything for a while. It's 650 FICO.

I currently own a Chase Freedom, Capital One Journey, Discover More, American Eagle card, Kay Jeweler's card, and I have an open line of credit with BillMeLater. Waaa, I love Chase so I was hoping to get a second card! Slate is sort of useless.

From left to right: NPSL; $10k; $6.2k; $4.5k; $4k; $3.5k; $2.75k; $2.3k
Other CCs: $2.5k American Eagle Visa, $2.2k Old Navy Visa, $1.7k Amazon Store; $1.55k BillMeLater; $800 B&N CC; $750 A&F CC
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Re: Failed recon with Chase :(

How long have you had the Chase Freedom? My sister had one for about 1.5 or 2 years and she was approved for the Chase Sapphire Preferred. Her highest limit was about 2500 I believe. So if you have experience with their cards, they will be more willing to grant you at least a 5000 line without you having others.

Message 2 of 9
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

Don't worry, you have some good cards. Just garden those a bit and use them responsibly, and you will have a card with the 5k credit limit that Chase likes to see you have before they issue you that CSP. 

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 3 of 9
ccole93
New Contributor

I've had it for about a year. No black marks or missed payments. I was shocked I was approved for the Freedom--that was back when my score was around 700 though. But he said my score wasn't the problem; it was just that he couldn't push someone with such low limits to a high limit card. I'm gonna give it a shot in a few more years or something. 

Should I ask for credit limit increases on my existing cards? I've had Cap One for nearly three years, Discover for about two, and Chase for about one.

Other CCs: $2.5k American Eagle Visa, $2.2k Old Navy Visa, $1.7k Amazon Store; $1.55k BillMeLater; $800 B&N CC; $750 A&F CC
Message 4 of 9
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

Yes, to all of them.

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 5 of 9
john398
Senior Contributor

What is your Discover limit? You may want to try to get a PC to Discover IT and a CLI

Message 6 of 9
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

I wouldn't ask for an increase on the Chase Freedom since it is another hard inquiry. Discover and Capital One are soft so you have nothing to lose with those.

Message 7 of 9
Pilotdude
Established Contributor

@Swapmeet wrote:

Don't worry, you have some good cards. Just garden those a bit and use them responsibly, and you will have a card with the 5k credit limit that Chase likes to see you have before they issue you that CSP. 

Yes this is spot on! 

You are fine.  In good shape and it will only get better if you keep on top of things.  A CSP is definitely in your not too far off future. Smiley Happy

Like the others have said, Yes, go ahead and ask Discover and the others for a CLI.  Perhaps even call the Chase recon department again and when they tell you the reason again, ask if you can instead have an increase on the Freedom to get you going in the right direction. Smiley Happy

Discover CLI's are a SP first and if the system won't approve it, they will ask if they can do a HP, so no danger there really of an inadvertant HP.

NFCU #1 Fan!! NO MOAR APPS TIL 10/13 Minimum!!
TU -746, EX - 721, EQ -745
Cards:NFCU Flag Visa Sig $10000, CSP $8500, AMEX BCP $2000 Freedom $3500, Disc IT $5000, Cap 1 Green $2100, Credit 1 CLOSED! AU on Amex Green, Discover $2000, Cap One Plat $1000
Message 8 of 9
ccole93
New Contributor

How should I go about it? The website won't let me do it and tells me to call a number. Any specific limit I should shoot for? I heard it's hard getting Capital One to increase your limit. 

That's a good idea with Chase! I might give that a shot if Discover and Capital One refuse to raise my limits. I hope they will.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.