cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fairly New to the Credit Card Game. Is it OK to...

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Fairly New to the Credit Card Game. Is it OK to...

As others have said, no problem at all, and letting it all report then PIF would be fine too.

The "I paid most of  my balance and the ccc did a CLD" stuff is usually because the issuer has flagged the account as risky, ahd they plan to  minimize their risk.     If your balance is say $3K, the issuer cannot reduce your CL below that, but as soon as you pay it down, they can reduce it to the new level.     So the payment itself is not the cause of the CLD, just enables it.   In the worse case, they balance chase to 0 and then close the card, but if the risk is smaller, they will just set a smaller CL once your balance is low enough

Message 11 of 12
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Fairly New to the Credit Card Game. Is it OK to...

@longtimelurker wrote:

As others have said, no problem at all, and letting it all report then PIF would be fine too.

The "I paid most of  my balance and the ccc did a CLD" stuff is usually because the issuer has flagged the account as risky, ahd they plan to  minimize their risk.     If your balance is say $3K, the issuer cannot reduce your CL below that, but as soon as you pay it down, they can reduce it to the new level.     So the payment itself is not the cause of the CLD, just enables it.   In the worse case, they balance chase to 0 and then close the card, but if the risk is smaller, they will just set a smaller CL once your balance is low enough

+1

This usually happens not because the person had a balance of 3k for 1 month, but most likely because the person had a balance of $3,200 on a card with maybe a $3,500 limit. Most likely, that balance has been sitting there for months, with minimum payments made against it, until the person finally had money to pay off a chunk, or the entire thing. 

The bank then responds with "Uh, yeah, we don't like you" and CLDs. 

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.