Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fake Discover vs. Real Discover

tag
NICKI183
Established Contributor

Fake Discover vs. Real Discover

As recently stated in other threads I was approved for a Fake Discover(Platiminum Direct Rewards through HSBC).  With that being said, I was two informed that this isntly really a Discover card and I should take it seriously.
I am just glad I have it with so I can use it in Sam;s Club.  Anyway, since I was turned done for the Motiva card, do you think when I reapply in December (9 delinquent accounts drop off, but still have BK from 02) that they will consider the "sub-prime credit card as real credit and possibly offer me a REAL discover card.

What do you think- this is just a thought.  Advice in the forums is good before making a horrible mistake.

Starting Score: 555/567/570- Aug 2017 (TU)646 (EQ) 626, (EX) 635-Goa 750l: UPDATE 2021 (TU) 623, (EQ) 584, (EXP) 598 Current VISA-MC-Amex Credit Cards |NFCU-CashReward-$2k|USSA Visa- $500lAmex USAA-secured Merrick-$1,900ll Amex Delta Sky Miles- $1k
, |Nordstrom-$2100|Neiman Marcus-$700|Credit One Bank $850/$500 / Capital One Journey $700/ Capital One Quicksilver One $1650/Target $600/KohlsStore $300/Personal Loans $14k
Garden Until 2/2022 removing all 18 collection baddies and decrease UTILto less than 5%
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Fake Discover vs. Real Discover

NICKI183 wrote:
As recently stated in other threads I was approved for a Fake Discover(Platiminum Direct Rewards through HSBC).  With that being said, I was two informed that this isntly really a Discover card and I should take it seriously.
I am just glad I have it with so I can use it in Sam;s Club.  Anyway, since I was turned done for the Motiva card, do you think when I reapply in December (9 delinquent accounts drop off, but still have BK from 02) that they will consider the "sub-prime credit card as real credit and possibly offer me a REAL discover card.

What do you think- this is just a thought.  Advice in the forums is good before making a horrible mistake.

I'm not sure what you mean by "you should take it seriously."  Are you referring to the posts I made in response to yours in that other thread?  Can you clarify what you mean?

If you're happy with the HSBC Discover Card, then that's great!  My reponse in that other thread was in no way meant to be critical of you or the card or your attitude towards it.  I was just telling you that the card you got is not actually issued by Discover.  It is issued by HSBC.

Unfortunately, and please don't take this the wrong way - I am not being critical, but unfortunately Discover will not approve an app with scores in the 500s.  I understand you want a Discover Card, and perhaps if you can work on those reports and scores between now and December, you will eventually get one.  It can be done!

To answer your question more directly: Yes!  Discover will take into consideration ANY credit card that is on your reports when determining whether you qualify for one of their cards.  The point I was making in the other thread is that just because your HSBC Discover Card says "Discover" on it does not mean it will help you get a Discover-issued Discover Card any more than any other credit card will.

Good luck to you!

Message Edited by cheddar on 03-04-2008 06:23 PM
Message 2 of 9
NICKI183
Established Contributor

No Cheddar, this was not meant for you personally. Yes, cards such as Citi, Chase, and Discover are prime cards and I was setting a long term target for myself.
By getting these recent cards with higher limits, I know I will have to close the real bottom feeders.
I put myself in this CREDIT situation and with the assistance and knowledge of you and others you are setting my on the right track.
In no way would I have put blame or discret someone elses opinion.

I did and will continue to read your threads and respect your knowledge and ability that you have displayed in the increase of your own scores.
Thanks
I
Starting Score: 555/567/570- Aug 2017 (TU)646 (EQ) 626, (EX) 635-Goa 750l: UPDATE 2021 (TU) 623, (EQ) 584, (EXP) 598 Current VISA-MC-Amex Credit Cards |NFCU-CashReward-$2k|USSA Visa- $500lAmex USAA-secured Merrick-$1,900ll Amex Delta Sky Miles- $1k
, |Nordstrom-$2100|Neiman Marcus-$700|Credit One Bank $850/$500 / Capital One Journey $700/ Capital One Quicksilver One $1650/Target $600/KohlsStore $300/Personal Loans $14k
Garden Until 2/2022 removing all 18 collection baddies and decrease UTILto less than 5%
Message 3 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

When it comes to helping you with future credit, it's just like any other credit card. Treat it well, pay promptly, all the stuff you already know. Obviously, that credit limit isn't going to do bunches for your overall util, and it will be hard to let a low balance show, so maybe let a $25 balance post the first month, and then treat it as a PIF'er, as in paying BEFORE it reports. Otherwise, you'll go nuts trying to keep it reporting $25 or less.

There is some thought that the presence of sub-prime (i.e., low-limit non-store cards) hurts you, by sort of dragging down your profile. And this is one reason why people start closing these out over time, along with wanting to get rid of fees, and a sort of general rage, lol.

It won't help you or hurt you with future apps with the "real" Discover, or be any different from any other re-builder card. Everyone has to start somewhere! Sylvia has the real thing now, and I think that she's still got a few of her rebuilders still on her reports.

You've already taken the inq hit, and a $19 AF isn't that bad; look at what all the AmEx fans happily pay for their traditional charge cards. Maybe in 11 months, your credit will be so great that you can happily close this one to help make room for all the shiny new big kid cards!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 9
NICKI183
Established Contributor

Between you and Cheddar - you both always know what to say. I wish that my parents sat me down with the MY FIcO concept and really explain the ins and out of credit.  The both have scores really close to 800 each.

I know that this is all work in progress.  As far as keeping the sub-primes your right.  If I leave it as available and charge one thing then pay it off I am good.
They are low enough that I only need one thing.

My BK is 6 years old and I feel that I have made more progress in the last week with my scores and requesting the right cards than I have before.
No one has ever explained the importance of PIF until the reading I have done reviewing the threads.

This formum must be on the West coast because the time log is always hours behind.

Anyway, thanks again and I look forward to reading yours and Cheddars Threads of Wisdom.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, Nicki.  I'm not sure I deserve those kind words, but thanks anyway.

I'm just glad I hadn't somehow offended you with my response in the other thread, because I sure didn't mean to. Smiley Wink

Good luck to you!

Message 6 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

What a nice thing to say! FWIW, I just blundered through all this beginning about 6 months ago. I was just determined not to keep shooting myself in the foot. And I didn't have a whole lot of foot left once I decided to change.

You'll get there! It seems to take forever when you're getting started, but once you build up some momentum, it gets really fun.

You're right, the forums are hosted from the California offices of Fair Isaac. I'm in Eastern time zone myself, and it does look pretty peculiar. You can change it to whatever zone you like by clicking "My Profile" just above the search box, and then "Preferences." The very first box lets you pick whatever time you like.

edit: see, say. I shouldn't try to type with a humongous cat sprawled on me.

Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 03-04-2008 06:49 PM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

haulingthescoreup wrote:

You're right, the forums are hosted from the California offices of Fair Isaac. I'm in Eastern time zone myself, and it does look pretty peculiar. You can change it to whatever zone you like by clicking "My Profile" just above the search box, and then "Preferences." The very first box lets you pick whatever time you like.

Well, what do you know!  Learn something every day around here, even if it's not credit related! Smiley Very Happy

Thanks for that little piece of wisdom, HTSU!
Message 8 of 9
NICKI183
Established Contributor

It worked hauling. now I can go to bed on time and not try to chase the clock....LMAO
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.