cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fastest change from sub-prime cards to prime cards?

tag
roniram
Regular Contributor

Fastest change from sub-prime cards to prime cards?

I'm going to be hitting some milestones on my credit report in the next few months.  My bankruptcy from 2004, and a couple of old collections will be aging off, and I should be in the position to reduce my utilization down to about 10%.  The last time I paid down my utilization, my FICOs went into the 660 to 680 range, so with these aging off, I am hoping by the end of the year, my scores should be closer to 700.  I really want to move on from sub-prime cards to prime, and I was wondering who here experienced the fastest change from obtaining sub-prime cards to moving up to prime cards?    I currently have a couple of Cap 1s, 3 GEs (Amamzon, Walmart, Discount Tire) a Merrick Bank, and 3 other sub-prime level cards.

So, for those who had to rebuild, who here believes they had the fastest time from sub-prime to prime?

Venture 10K /NFCU Platinum 6.6K /Amazon 6.6K/ Walmart 3.3K /Cap 1 QS1 1.65K /Cap 1 Platinum 1.15K /Show MC 1.1 /Amex BCE 1K /Chase Freedom 1K / NFCU Cash Rewards 500/
Starting Score: 6/1/13 TU 566 EXP 632 EQ 611
Current Score: 09/13/21 TU 726 EXP 717 EQ 718
Goal Score: 740 Across the Board
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Fastest change from sub-prime cards to prime cards?

@roniram wrote:

I'm going to be hitting some milestones on my credit report in the next few months.  My bankruptcy from 2004, and a couple of old collections will be aging off, and I should be in the position to reduce my utilization down to about 10%.  The last time I paid down my utilization, my FICOs went into the 660 to 680 range, so with these aging off, I am hoping by the end of the year, my scores should be closer to 700.  I really want to move on from sub-prime cards to prime, and I was wondering who here experienced the fastest change from obtaining sub-prime cards to moving up to prime cards?    I currently have a couple of Cap 1s, 3 GEs (Amamzon, Walmart, Discount Tire) a Merrick Bank, and 3 other sub-prime level cards.

So, for those who had to rebuild, who here believes they had the fastest time from sub-prime to prime?

If the BK is getting ready to age off and the baddies are getting ready to age off... What is bringing your scores down so low??

you really should have been able to come out of subprime a long time ago if it was just the bk and such.

Message 2 of 3
roniram
Regular Contributor

Re: Fastest change from sub-prime cards to prime cards?

Well, I think it might be because I have some collections after the BK.  I also have one small collection for $300 that is 4 years old that I will try to PFD in the next couple of months. I know the main issue is the current high utilization. Until I found MyFICO,  I really never realized that if I had gotten my utilization down with the older cards I had in the past, and applied for more cards to show I am now capable of managing my credit, my scores would go up. 

So, hopefully I'm thinking the combo of no BK, no collections (or maybe one paid) and 10% util will get me to prime.

Venture 10K /NFCU Platinum 6.6K /Amazon 6.6K/ Walmart 3.3K /Cap 1 QS1 1.65K /Cap 1 Platinum 1.15K /Show MC 1.1 /Amex BCE 1K /Chase Freedom 1K / NFCU Cash Rewards 500/
Starting Score: 6/1/13 TU 566 EXP 632 EQ 611
Current Score: 09/13/21 TU 726 EXP 717 EQ 718
Goal Score: 740 Across the Board
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.