Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fate of the Unicorn

tag
Jayb5635
Established Contributor

Fate of the Unicorn

I ask the following for fun and my curiosity as well. I know many of us here in the forums carry the Unicorn from Amex. Now that the packs are being stripped from it, what do you all plan to do with it ??? Cancel it because its useless to you ??? PC it after 13 months if possible ??? Keep it because its just so damn sexy ???

In my wallet: Amex Platinum NPSL, Amex Everyday Preferred $15,000, Amex Starwood $10,000, Chase Freedom Visa Signature $10,000, Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15,000, Chase Ink Plus Visa Signature $5000 Barclaycard Arrival Plus MasterCard World Elite $10,000, Cap One Quicksilver MasterCard $6000, Citi Prestige World Elite MasterCard $10,000, Citi Forward Visa $6900, Citi Premier World Elite MasterCard $5,800, Discover IT $8500
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Fate of the Unicorn

If I still had it, I would keep it.  The $25 fee is worth keeping a legacy card. 

I really enjoyed using this card.  My first $5K of dining always went on this card.  The $50 gift card from Morton's and GCs from Dunking donuts and Coldstone were worth the fee, not to mention the extra point I was receiving for the Eco pack from Costco.

Message 2 of 26
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Why are they doing away with it?  Seemed like a good card for people that wouldn't use enough to justify the Greens yearly fee. 

Message 3 of 26
Open123
Super Contributor

@boomhower wrote:

Why are they doing away with it?  Seemed like a good card for people that wouldn't use enough to justify the Greens yearly fee. 

They misfired on their target market.

It was supposed to be the young recent college graduate social media twitter type crowd.  Despite the massive marketing campaign, this generation failed (still do) to understand or appreciate the different nuances of a charge vs. credit card.  Finally, it was virtually impossible for Amex to explain to this target market the difference between MR and MR Express.

It's just one of those Amex misfires.  Like the Windows phone.

Message 4 of 26
Jayb5635
Established Contributor

Lol @ Windows phone. Shame they neutered the card because with certain packs and the low annual fee it was a good value for some people, myself included. I think I may stubbornly refuse to upgrade to another charge card

In my wallet: Amex Platinum NPSL, Amex Everyday Preferred $15,000, Amex Starwood $10,000, Chase Freedom Visa Signature $10,000, Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15,000, Chase Ink Plus Visa Signature $5000 Barclaycard Arrival Plus MasterCard World Elite $10,000, Cap One Quicksilver MasterCard $6000, Citi Prestige World Elite MasterCard $10,000, Citi Forward Visa $6900, Citi Premier World Elite MasterCard $5,800, Discover IT $8500
Message 5 of 26
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@Jayb5635 wrote:
I ask the following for fun and my curiosity as well. I know many of us here in the forums carry the Unicorn from Amex. Now that the packs are being stripped from it, what do you all plan to do with it ??? Cancel it because its useless to you ??? PC it after 13 months if possible ??? Keep it because its just so damn sexy ???

Even though the card has been emasculated and rendered useless in terms of any sort of reward, there's that cult following that the card has.  And not just here but at other forums as well. AMEX certainly missed the mark with the target of the card, and their ad campaign didn't work. 

That said, I'm going to hang on to the card for as long as AMEX allows.  The $25 AF is worth the price of admission to have a "legacy" card, if for no other reason than the nostalgia factor a few more years down the road!  The Zync was the first of my AMEX cards when I returned to the fold, so there's an attachment to the card.  I know, it's not logical...there's no logical reason to keep the card.  It's purely an emotional response, that I think many others share. 

Message 6 of 26
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Keeping it.

It's an amusing party trick both for the uneducated and the educated.  I was figuring on keeping the Orchard for a while at a $59 AF just for any little additional stability that would grant to my credit profile, but realistically the Zync is in all ways a better option.

Plus my default spending is still at 1% anyway, and occasionally I get targetted offers from Amex (spend $25 at Olive Garden here's $5) which don't go that far out of my spending anyway, and it ameoloriates the AF.

Plus I like it.  I know, I know: stupid human.

Edit: if I ever need to add a spending-limited AU, Amex's ACM works well.  Admittedly other and cheaper ways to do it, but it's an additional benefit to the Amex relationship and if I'm keeping the card for other reasons anyway...

        
Message 7 of 26
Jayb5635
Established Contributor

Have 2 say I agree with you. I destroyed my credit at a young age and stayed away from it for almost a decade. My girlfriend kinda inspired me to try to rebuild it, and the Zync was the first, shall we say, prime card I was approved for. I had the cap one over a year prior I think. I do have an emotional attachment to the card as well, irritational as it may be. Dammit, and it looks a thousand times better than the other charge cards lol

Message 8 of 26
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

keeping it, the ability to float all my utility bills for almost a month, no need to worry do I have enough to pay them on the particular day they are due, and get the interest on my checking account more than pays for the card. I love the idea of having a charge card and the $25 a year is completely worth it, not sure if i could justify $95 a year for the green card. Next year will get the PRG gold card for a year, first year AF is free. Then cancel it and if i get lucky get the same offer later so I can repeat it, and keep adding old tradelines that will be active for a year and then sit on my report for 10 years.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 9 of 26
Open123
Super Contributor

I don't think the Amex green is worth it over the Zync, unless you need to move MR points.  Until then, there's no difference between Zync and Green.

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.