Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Favoring rewards cards over others

tag
masscredit
Valued Contributor

Favoring rewards cards over others

A lot of us have certain cards that we favor for rewards. Mine is the Barclay Rewards followed by the Cap One QuickSilver. My other Barclay card is the Apple card. I purchase a lot of Apple products but I can use the rewards from the other card for those. I get more points if I use that card to purchase Apple products though. As for the Cap One Venture. It takes awhile to rack up miles on that plus I still have about 200k Delta SkyMiles so i'm good with those for a few years. So my other cards either don't get much use or, I feel like I'm giving up cash by using them. Target is good because I get 5% off. Better than the rewards cards. 

I can't really say that the other cards are growing slower because they don't get as much use. No trend there. I wouldn't want to cancel the other cards though. 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
Callandra
Valued Contributor

Re: Favoring rewards cards over others

For me, I use Sallie Mae all the time; Freedom is for the 5% categories mostly now. The rewards just work for me! I think most people might have 2-3 cards they use the most and the rest might be for utilization/bonuses but I guess it depends on the person! I can't imagine trying to manage more than 4 cards, but that's just me though. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 2 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I use Venture as my main, with Sallie Mae for the 5% categories. My other cards I use for utilization mostly and have them each set up with some low monthly subscription to keep them active. Also some of the other cards are used for other perks, like the Slate for the excellent FICO overview. Venture is my main because of high CL plus the 40k bonus I will be hitting within a week. 

Message 3 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I use Venture as my main, with Sallie Mae for the 5% categories. My other cards I use for utilization mostly and have them each set up with some low monthly subscription to keep them active. Also some of the other cards are used for other perks, like the Slate for the excellent FICO overview. Venture is my main because of high CL plus the 40k bonus I will be hitting within a week. 

Same.. Mostly Venture and Sallie Mae. Sometimes Freedom or Discover for 5% at restaurants or fast food. 

Message 4 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I definitely favor my Freedom over any card and not sure why because it's my lowest credit line.
Message 5 of 30
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

I just go for reward maximization per transaction, so don't really have a favorite card

Message 6 of 30
04Cobra
Frequent Contributor

I use SM for 5% categories, QS for everyday spend, and Discover for quarterly bonus.

Discover $21k | Venture $20k | Quicksilver $15k | NICU Rewards MC $13.5k | Costco $14.5k | Citi Costco $12.5k | Chase Sapphire Reserve $10k | Barclay Apple $9.6k | Best Buy MC $10k | Merrick Bank Visa (formerly Hooters) $2.6k |
Message 7 of 30
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

I just go for reward maximization per transaction, so don't really have a favorite card

I agree.  Also benefit maximization.. For instance all my car rentals are on CSP.  My Cash + can get 5% back, but the primary rental coverage on the CSP out weighs the cash back. 

Message 8 of 30
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@masscredit wrote:

A lot of us have certain cards that we favor for rewards. 

All of mine are rewards cards.  The big reason I have the number I have is rewards.

@masscredit wrote:

I can't really say that the other cards are growing slower because they don't get as much use. No trend there. I wouldn't want to cancel the other cards though. 

Don't rely too much on usage.  Your credit and income determine that.

Message 9 of 30
EdMan63
Established Contributor

My Freedom is my everyday card. And I use my AmEx Delta Gold for all my travel expenses.

Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.