cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Favorite Airline/Hotel brand card combo?

tag
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Favorite Airline/Hotel brand card combo?

I've been eyeing a few hotel branded and pulled the trigger but no cigar. But I do have the cards for my two favorite airlines (Delta and American). What's your favorite hotel and airline branded cards? What do you like about them?
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Favorite Airline/Hotel brand card combo?

I don't like airline cards.  I don't want to be tied down to just 1 carrier.  Better to just get a non-cobranded credit card like CSP, Amex PRG, or Prestige.

In terms of hotel cards, if you really, really want a hotel card (and are not a high-roller), I feel that the Mariott card is the best for the long run (free night each year isn't bad at all). Ritz is fine if you are either a big spender or want to take advantage of their huge initial offer.

People like the SPG card, but I don't really care for it much, especially since points don't transfer immediately.

Overall, from what I remember you posting, you seem to have enough cards already.  Do you really need a co-branded airline/hotel card on top of your collection?

Message 2 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

My goal hotel/airline cards combo is the Marriott Premier Business for the variety of hotels and the free anniversary night and the British Airlines Rewards for the Avios points. 

Message 3 of 25
NRB525
Super Contributor

I like my Delta Gold card. It lets me act like I have Silver Medallion status, even though I don't. The earnings rate on spend isn't all that special, but my work travel goes Delta so that adds many points to my account.

The hotel cards are too many to select just one. Marriott, Hyatt, IHG and Club Carlson all have some sort of annual bonus, points or night, to make the AF less hurtful. The no AF Hilton cards earn fairly well. The issue with hotels is, unless you know you will be always staying at one, it's often difficult to find exactly the brand you want exactly where you are going. That's why I have 3 now, probably 1 or 2 more.

It's fine to not get the airline or hotel card(s) if one only travels occasionally, then buy at the best rate. However, if one is travelling multiple times per year, those actual miles and actual stays, if they go to one loyalty account, add up much faster. In 2005 - 2006 before I planned better, I ended up with some miles in 4 different FF programs. Not useful for anything significant.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 25
icyhot
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't like airline cards.  I don't want to be tied down to just 1 carrier.  Better to just get a non-cobranded credit card like CSP, Amex PRG, or Prestige.

In terms of hotel cards, if you really, really want a hotel card (and are not a high-roller), I feel that the Mariott card is the best for the long run (free night each year isn't bad at all). Ritz is fine if you are either a big spender or want to take advantage of their huge initial offer.

People like the SPG card, but I don't really care for it much, especially since points don't transfer immediately.

Overall, from what I remember you posting, you seem to have enough cards already.  Do you really need a co-branded airline/hotel card on top of your collection?

If I'm not mistaken, I didn't ask for advice on which hotel/airline card to apply for. I was asking posters who did have a preferred one, what it was and why did they like it. If I decide I want to add another card to my collection, then that will be my decision to make, even though that's not in my current plans. But thanks for your concern Smiley Very Happy

Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K

Message 5 of 25
icyhot
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My goal hotel/airline cards combo is the Marriott Premier Business for the variety of hotels and the free anniversary night and the British Airlines Rewards for the Avios points. 

I've been eyeing the Marriot card for the free night alone but I'm not loyal enough to the brand. The brand I AM loyal to is Choice Hotels but as long as it's issued by Barclay I'm staying away. 

Message 6 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

CSP/Freedom combo is probably the best for rewards.

if you're talking about a co-branded card though? I like the United Mileage Plus Explorer. The free club passes are nice.

Message 7 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

CSP/Freedom combo is probably the best for rewards.

if you're talking about a co-branded card though? I like the United Mileage Plus Explorer. The free club passes are nice.

+1  I just got the CSP/Freedom combo in February and love it.  The spend bonus on Freedom adds up nicely and I can transfer the points for miles in my United account.  

Message 8 of 25
IWOL
Established Contributor

If AA is one of your favorite airlines then the AMEX SPG card would make sense to have since you can use the points for SPG stays or transfer the points to AA with a 20% bonus.

Message 9 of 25
icyhot
Valued Contributor

@IWOL wrote:

If AA is one of your favorite airlines then the AMEX SPG card would make sense to have since you can use the points for SPG stays or transfer the points to AA with a 20% bonus.

I hear SPG points have good transfer value but I wouldn't want to get a card for a hotel brand I never stay at

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.