cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Favorite Airline/Hotel brand card combo?

tag
IWOL
Established Contributor

Re: Favorite Airline/Hotel brand card combo?

You know SPG has like 1200 hotels worldwide that include Westins, W,s, Sheraton, La Meridian, St Regis among others.

Message 11 of 25
windyhair
Valued Member

i have a barclay usair (soon to be aviator) and chase marriott. works for me since i'm near a usair/american hub and like marriott residence inn and springhill suites for the family (good breakfast and suites big enough for 5). the annual night on marriott is a good perk, even with the annual fee. and it makes no real difference, but i have to admit i'm a sucker for metal cards. 

from oldest to newest (current limits): CapOne Platinum $1.5//CapOne QS $5.3//Merrick $2.9//USAA Rate Advantage $7//Paypal Credit $2.5//Overstock $5.8//CSP $8//Sallie Mae WMC $4//CapOne Venture $15//Discover It $1.5//USAir $2.5//USAA Rewards $7//Chase Marriott $5//Amazon Prime $5//Nordstrom $2.5//Macy's $600//Belk $600
Message 12 of 25
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@IWOL wrote:

You know SPG has like 1200 hotels worldwide that include Westins, W,s, Sheraton, La Meridian, St Regis among others.

And, to be a contrarian, you know Hilton's Hampton brand has 60% more than all of SPG's portfolio (there are >1,900 Hamptons).

That's not including the other hotels, which is a grand total (currently) of 4,362.

Just showing OP that while 1,200 hotels is not insignificant, Hilton/Marriott/IHG are MUCH bigger.

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 13 of 25
icyhot
Valued Contributor

@IWOL wrote:

Yes and I've never stayed at any of those they are far out my price range and I stay at hotels for quick night getaways so the Choice would be more up my alley but again I don't want to deal with Barclay

Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 14 of 25
TrueGeminiNC
Frequent Contributor

Previously Marriott/United.  However, I am now a fan of Starwood/Delta.  I just learned yesterday that I can transfer Starwood points to Delta with a 1:1 ratio.  

I am currently a Marriott/United Elite member, however now that I know that I can transfer Starwood points to Delta, I will be staying at more Starwood properties.  I have already begun flying on more Delta flights.

Ironically, Marriott/United (RewardsPlus) has a relationship similar to Starwood/Delta (Crossover Rewards).  However, United/Marriott doesn't offer such a rich transfer ratio. 

I wish I could now move all my United miles to Delta using a 1:1 transfer ratio.  

Message 15 of 25
IWOL
Established Contributor

@icyhot wrote:

@IWOL wrote:

Yes and I've never stayed at any of those they are far out my price range and I stay at hotels for quick night getaways so the Choice would be more up my alley but again I don't want to deal with Barclay

That makes sense, I only mentiond SPG because it has the best transfer rate to airlines with the largest number of partners.

For Marriot points I think you get something like 50k or less airline points for 140k  Marriot points. 

Message 16 of 25
IWOL
Established Contributor

@TrueGeminiNC wrote:

Previously Marriott/United.  However, I am now a fan of Starwood/Delta.  I just learned yesterday that I can transfer Starwood points to Delta with a 1:1 ratio.  

I am currently a Marriott/United Elite member, however now that I know that I can transfer Starwood points to Delta, I will be staying at more Starwood properties.  I have already begun flying on more Delta flights.

Ironically, Marriott/United (RewardsPlus) has a relationship similar to Starwood/Delta (Crossover Rewards).  However, United/Marriott doesn't offer such a rich transfer ratio. 

I wish I could now move all my United miles to Delta using a 1:1 transfer ratio.  

I beleive you get a 20% bonus for transfers from SPG to Delta if you transfer 20k or more points. So for 20k SPG you get 25k Delta.

Message 17 of 25
TrueGeminiNC
Frequent Contributor

@IWOL wrote:

@TrueGeminiNC wrote:

I beleive you get a 20% bonus for transfers from SPG to Delta if you transfer 20k or more points. So for 20k SPG you get 25k Delta.

Thanks for the heads-up.  I had mostly been staying at Marriott properties to maintain my status.  It just so happened that I stayed at a Starwood property once and I had 10,500 points just sitting there.  While speaking with a friend, he mentioned that I could transfer the points to DL.  Now that I know about the bonus, I will definetly be staying at more Starwood properties.  

To bad Starwood want match my Marriott status Smiley Sad

Message 18 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@icyhot wrote:
I've been eyeing a few hotel branded and pulled the trigger but no cigar. But I do have the cards for my two favorite airlines (Delta and American). What's your favorite hotel and airline branded cards? What do you like about them?

When it comes to co-branded cards I like the Marriott Rewards card, it has been good to me so far. On the airline cards, I fly using all of the carriers, just depends on where I am going and when, so I'm not looking for one.

Message 19 of 25
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@icyhot wrote:
What's your favorite hotel and airline branded cards? What do you like about them?

I don't have such a combo.  I have a United card but that's because I'm in a United hub city and use them for 99% of my air travel.

@icyhot wrote:
What do you like about them?

You can't just poll others to determine what you're going to apply for.  You need to make yuor decisions based on your needs/wants.  Define that and use it to select the cards that suit you versus picking out cards and trying to justify them.

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.