Did you mean: 

Favorite current card you have and why

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Favorite current card you have and why

@GeneralCucumbre wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

On the Premier, would you pay the $125 AF when it becomes due?  I am cancelling mine in April!

Possibly.  It all depends on how much I can benefit from the card this year while I'm giving it a "test run".  If the benefits outweigh the $125 annual fee, then I'll keep the card...if not I'll probably just downgrade to the ThankYou Preferred card.

In actuality, what I might do is close the ThankYou Premier card after I've earned the 50,000 point bonus, which would require me paying the $125 annual fee because I get 20,000 points after spending $2,000 within the first three months of cardmembership and 30,000 points after spending $3,000 within the first three months of my second year of cardmembership.  Once I've closed the account, I'll attempt to transfer the credit line over to my Dividend card and PC to either the ThankYou Premier or Preferred (depending on if the annual fee is worth it).

OK, thanks.  I asked because this is a card that has been (very) badly nerfed, and like say the US Bank Cash Plus, it's always hard to look at it through the eyes of someone who has just got it in the new form, without remembering what it was!

But, that said, I just don't see how 3x dining can be worth the AF after the first year, when things like Cash Plus give 5x for no AF.   But let's see in a year!

Message 41 of 45
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

I'm loving all my new cards for different reasons.  It's easier for me to pinpoint my least favorite.  My old Orchard card...  Unfortunately it's also my oldest so it lives another day!

Message 42 of 45
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

For me it's still the UA Club card. 1.5 miles per dollar is fantastic, especially if you have high annual spending.

After all the complaining about the most recent devaluation, I noticed a couple of bright spots in the UA's new chart. Round trip cost changes:

Australia to South Asia in J:

Old: 90k

New: 60k

Australia to South Asia in F:

Old: 120k

New: 80k

Australia to North Asia in J:

Old: 100k

New: 80k

Australia to North Asia in F:

Old: 130k

New: 100k

It's now either the cheaper (South Asia) or the same cost (North Asia) to fly in F than it was in J! Those costs are for *A partners too, not on UA metal.

Given my current location and travel patterns, my UA miles might be worth even more than they were pre-deval. Looks like it's time to book some flights next month!

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 43 of 45
mokong
Regular Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@slweal87 wrote:

Can someone please tell me how to quote! I've never been able to figure it out!!!

Anyways, I don't know if I want a CC that has the same name as the holder of my student loans on it -Sallie Mae, ha ha

When you click reply a Quote button appears in the upper right corner next to the spell check. You click that button and it quotes the message you hit reply to. 

thanks to this.

Message 44 of 45
aubie1kenobie2
Frequent Contributor

I want to update my post -- I now love Amex over Discover. I just called for a CLI and it was denied for a SP (didn't want a HP since I am in gardening mode). On the other hand, my 3x CLI was approved by Amex last month. With a CL of 750 on Discover, it's really hard to use it a lot, without having to pay multiple times before the statement cuts (it gets old after a while, lol). Just my opinion, although Discover IT is a great card if you didn't have toy limits.

Starting Score: No credit history in July 2013, 663 in August (lender pulled)
Current Score: 773 (Discover FICO), 749 (DCU EQ)
Ultimate goal: Buy a house in 2016!
Message 45 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.