Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fee for using credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fee for using credit

Hey All,

So I'm moving to a new place. The rent can be paid with mastercard or discover for a few dollars fee, but if with a visa, it's something like $62 or so dollars. Any ideas as to why visa would be that much more expensive? Was thinking of paying with my freedom unlimited every month. The $3 fee I'd still come out ahead, but definitely not of its $62. Seems so weird to have such a difference in networks. Anyone seen anything like this before?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Fee for using credit

@Anonymous wrote:
Hey All,

So I'm moving to a new place. The rent can be paid with mastercard or discover for a few dollars fee, but if with a visa, it's something like $62 or so dollars. Any ideas as to why visa would be that much more expensive? Was thinking of paying with my freedom unlimited every month. The $3 fee I'd still come out ahead, but definitely not of its $62. Seems so weird to have such a difference in networks. Anyone seen anything like this before?

I'd verify your information. Most sites that allow you to pay for rent/mortgage with a credit card charge a percentage, usually around 2.5-3%.  Seems unlikely that anyone would allow you to pay the rent for only $3 as they would be losing money in the transaction after paying MasterCard or Discover.  I'd check again about the fees.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's on the website when I login. Has the fee for each network. I'll definitely speak with them about it at move in, but I started a payment and selected credit, those are the fees they list.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
It's on the website when I login. Has the fee for each network. I'll definitely speak with them about it at move in, but I started a payment and selected credit, those are the fees they list.

Seems unusual but I guess anything is possible. Hopefully for you the $3 fee is accurate because that makes using a card with any kind of rewards if it's a Discover or MasterCard a no brainer.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I actually only have visas. I've been pretty against the citi dc, even though I get offers every week for it. Had no plans to spread my spend out further cause I like combining my chase points, but I see the DC is mastercard. 2% of my rent back, now it seems worth it. I currently pay with e-check cause of the fees at my current residence. I have added 5 accounts this year though, so not sure it's a good idea to add another. I know citi doesn't have 5/24, but just seems like a lot to add in one year. Afraid I'd get AA or a bad limit with citi.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Yeah, I actually only have visas. I've been pretty against the citi dc, even though I get offers every week for it. Had no plans to spread my spend out further cause I like combining my chase points, but I see the DC is mastercard. 2% of my rent back, now it seems worth it. I currently pay with e-check cause of the fees at my current residence. I have added 5 accounts this year though, so not sure it's a good idea to add another. I know citi doesn't have 5/24, but just seems like a lot to add in one year. Afraid I'd get AA or a bad limit with citi.

If this is important to you wait until the time is right - whatever you deem appropriate - and apply for a MC so you can earn rewards for paying your rent. Best of luck to you!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.