cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feel like I need one more...... Not sure what though.

tag
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

Re: Feel like I need one more...... Not sure what though.

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey guys!  This site has been pretty informative for a relative newbie like myself!  Learned alot of tricks with the CLI's and such.

you

So far I have a CapOne QS with a $10K limit, Amex BCE $25K, Discover IT $9k, Citi DC $6300K and a credit union Visa with a $2k limit.  The Discover and credit union card always hold a $0 balance, Amex gets all groceries and gas, QS gets some recurring utility bills and the DC gets most every day stuff.  I keep the credit union card around for any purchase I might want to let hang on there and pay over a few months because the interest is only 8%.  Otherwise it really doesnt get used much.  Discover, Amex, Citi have been good about every CLI that I have requested so far.  QS is another story and flips me the bird every time I hit that button.

So, that brings me to my questions.  I feel like one more card would round out the herd.  But, I just cant decide which one to app for.  Not sure I want to go for an AF card unless someone might convince me otherwise.  That, or should I just let things ride and let the scores jump.  Scores are showing 795 throughout.  Not sure what route to go.

convince you? come on, if there is someone ripe for a csr its you.  seriously, if your scores are real fico and assuming your aaoa and util are in order I would app for that card today, again assuming you can meet the spend + move your cut date to before the 12/15 to get the $ 300 credit - just prepay a hotel room for next year you know you will use

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you feel like there is any part of your spend that your rewards are not maximized with? That would be the only reason I see to add a new card.

What are you interested in? Travel rewards or just cash back?

What about the category cards? You have Discover but Freedom may add value. Problem with Freedom or CFU is they are HPs for CLIs.

Do you spend much on dining or.entertainment? Marvel card could help there. Or the Amazon store card is the only store card that has any real value with 5% back on all purchases there.

If none of that speaks to you, then you are apping just to app and I would say back away from the keyboard.

Message 12 of 17
newhis
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey guys!  This site has been pretty informative for a relative newbie like myself!  Learned alot of tricks with the CLI's and such.

So far I have a CapOne QS with a $10K limit, Amex BCE $25K, Discover IT $9k, Citi DC $6300K and a credit union Visa with a $2k limit.  The Discover and credit union card always hold a $0 balance, Amex gets all groceries and gas, QS gets some recurring utility bills and the DC gets most every day stuff.  I keep the credit union card around for any purchase I might want to let hang on there and pay over a few months because the interest is only 8%.  Otherwise it really doesnt get used much.  Discover, Amex, Citi have been good about every CLI that I have requested so far.  QS is another story and flips me the bird every time I hit that button.

So, that brings me to my questions.  I feel like one more card would round out the herd.  But, I just cant decide which one to app for.  Not sure I want to go for an AF card unless someone might convince me otherwise.  That, or should I just let things ride and let the scores jump.  Scores are showing 795 throughout.  Not sure what route to go.

You don't need another card.

You are not using Discover even for the 5% categories?

Some said Freedom, but if you don't use Discover, there is no point to app for it.

So, you want to app for a card? Want good welcome bonus? Want to have a better limit on your QS down the road?

Go for Venture I think you will get a good limit and I think you can transfer to QS down the road. Downgrade to QS before AF hit.

As someone said, if you want Discover to grow, you need to use it. There are serveral reports from people getting good increases every 60 days and only using the card for $200-$400 a month.

/* Nothing to do with original post */

If you don't have an open loan, you can try the SSL technique to get a score bump.

Hey, maybe I need to use this as my signature Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I like the Venture idea.  I might also suggest Bank of America Better Balance Rewards or US Bank Cash+

Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Depending on how much you spend on groceries, might be worth it to PC that BCE to a BCP.  Double the rewards that might offset the AF.

I like my US Bank Cash Plus, but I travel and eat fast food and I like to go to the movies, so 5% back on those is nice.  You can set whatever categories you want, unlike the discover or FU.

If you travel at all and/or eat out at restaurants, I recommend the Chase Sapphire Preferred.  Lower Annual fee ($95) that they waive the first year, and a nice bonus when you hit the spend ($4000 in 3 months = 50,000 points worth $500 in gift cards or $625 in travel).  

I would request a CLI on that credit union visa, just to reduce your Util % when you do use it.  

Message 15 of 17
newhis
Valued Contributor

Note: for some Chase cards (Freedom Unlimited and Sapphire Preferred), you can try to app in a branch for a higher welcome bonus. There are reports of $300 for FU and 70,000 UR for CSP.

Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

All good info!!  The Chase Freedom was the only one that stood out to me I guess.  I do use my Discover but only really for the 5% stuff.  The more you mention it the Freedom does make sense. Jump back and forth between cards to take advantage of the 5%.  I dont do much travel so a cash back card would work better for me.  I never really thought of PC'ing my BCE to a BCP card, that is something to think about.  I havent ever tried for a CLI on my CU card, I do need to look into that.  Ill let things ride out for a bit and decide if the Freedom may be beneficial or not.  Thanks guys!

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.