Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feeling like pulling the trigger...

tag
b1gr3dmachin3
Contributor

Feeling like pulling the trigger...

I'm thinking of apping for the chase freedom, amex BCE, and possibly the cap1 quicksilver....any thoughts of my chances for approval? All my fako scores are currently around 740 with <10% utl on my current cards

BoA 123 $2.5k (11/12) // Discover It $3.9k (7/13) // Citi Forward Student $3.8k (7/13) // Chase Freedom 5k (12/13) // Amex Blue Cash 6k (1/15)

Starting Score: No Credit History (11/12)
Current Score: MyFico 761
Goal Score: 800+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Feeling like pulling the trigger...

@b1gr3dmachin3 wrote:

I'm thinking of apping for the chase freedom, amex BCE, and possibly the cap1 quicksilver....any thoughts of my chances for approval? All my fako scores are currently around 740 with <10% utl on my current cards

Is this your first Amex account? If so, go for it, just so you can lock in 2013 MSD.

I assume you don't have a ridiculous amount of inquiries, right? If so, your chances should be pretty good.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 35
Beane
Regular Contributor

If you spend more than $2500 a year on groceries I'd for BCP instead of BCE.  I really wish I had.

FICO EQ: 733 TU: 727 CS FAKO EX: 737                                                                                               In the garden since 5/9/13
Message 3 of 35
b1gr3dmachin3
Contributor

@enharu wrote:

@b1gr3dmachin3 wrote:

Is this your first Amex account? If so, go for it, just so you can lock in 2013 MSD.

I assume you don't have a ridiculous amount of inquiries, right? If so, your chances should be pretty good.

Yup, first amex account. All my current cards are in my signature. I have 4 total inqs dating back about a year and a half, and 3 of them are within 6 months. My main concern is the two credit cards I added back in July

BoA 123 $2.5k (11/12) // Discover It $3.9k (7/13) // Citi Forward Student $3.8k (7/13) // Chase Freedom 5k (12/13) // Amex Blue Cash 6k (1/15)

Message 4 of 35
b1gr3dmachin3
Contributor

@Beane wrote:

If you spend more than $2500 a year on groceries I'd for BCP instead of BCE.  I really wish I had.

Depends, what do they consider "supermarkets"?

Message 5 of 35
enharu
Super Contributor

@b1gr3dmachin3 wrote:

@enharu wrote:

@b1gr3dmachin3 wrote:

Yup, first amex account. All my current cards are in my signature. I have 4 total inqs dating back about a year and a half, and 3 of them are within 6 months.

I think you will be fine. I somewhat remember you and the thread you made a couple months ago.

If you want to play it safe, get a charge card first, since the 1st year AF is waived for most of them. And then apply for the BCP / BCE. I recommend getting the BCP, because you are getting 6% cashback, and you can always get gift cards for other stores that you shop at. But if you don't spend much in general, then go with the BCE.

Oh and remember to use cardmatch.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 6 of 35
b1gr3dmachin3
Contributor

@enharu wrote:

@b1gr3dmachin3 wrote:

@enharu wrote:

@b1gr3dmachin3 wrote:

Yup, first amex account. All my current cards are in my signature. I have 4 total inqs dating back about a year and a half, and 3 of them are within 6 months.

I think you will be fine. I somewhat remember you and the thread you made a couple months ago.

If you want to play it safe, get a charge card first, since the 1st year AF is waived for most of them. And then apply for the BCP / BCE. I recommend getting the BCP, because you are getting 6% cashback, and you can always get gift cards for other stores that you shop at. But if you don't spend much in general, then go with the BCE.

Oh and remember to use cardmatch.

Yup, you definitely did help me a few months back! If I'm going to apply, I think I would rather just apply for the card I am targeting because I don't want to have cards that  I don't need/want agree? What is cardmatch?

Message 7 of 35
Beane
Regular Contributor

You can downgrade to BCE any time before the AF hits if you think you aren't using the BCP enough, but you can't go from BCE to BCP in the first year.

FICO EQ: 733 TU: 727 CS FAKO EX: 737                                                                                               In the garden since 5/9/13
Message 8 of 35
b1gr3dmachin3
Contributor

enharu, you think I will be fine for all 3? Or just the chase + amex? What are your thoughts on the quicksilver? I was thinking about getting that card to use for things I don't have bonus categories from my other  cards?

Message 9 of 35
b1gr3dmachin3
Contributor

@Beane wrote:

You can downgrade to BCE any time before the AF hits if you think you aren't using the BCP enough, but you can't go from BCE to BCP in the first year.

Thanks Beane, I did not know that. I will probably just go for the BCP then, and see how it goes.

Message 10 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.