tag
b1gr3dmachin3
Contributor

Re: Feeling like pulling the trigger...

@enharu wrote:

@b1gr3dmachin3 wrote:

@enharu wrote:

@b1gr3dmachin3 wrote:

enharu, you think I will be fine for all 3? Or just the chase + amex? What are your thoughts on the quicksilver? I was thinking about getting that card to use for things I don't have bonus categories from my other  cards?

I think you will be fine for all 3.

Just to clarify as well: The BCP AF is NOT waived in the first year. The $75 fee will be charged at the end of the first cycle. If you don't spend much in general, get the BCE. Otherwise, the BCP is a better deal for most people.

use cardmatch to see if there's better sign-up promos for you. https://www.creditcards.com/cardmatch/

Amex has some nice bonuses from time to time that are advertised on that site.

The reason why I suggested charge card is because they're easier to get approved for, and *if* you get declined for BCE, you would still lock in your 2013 MSD if you were approved for the charge card first, and it's SP if denied, HP if approved, for all your future amex apps once you are an Amex member. Personally, if I were you, I will apply for a charge card now, and wait till Jan 2014 to apply for the BCE / BCP. The BCE / BCP will be backdated to Jan 2013 then. So in a way the charge card is somewhat like a backup measure, and there's a 25k MR points sign-up bonus anyways, which you can always use for your vacation Smiley Happy

I posted my previous reply before I read your response enharu. Wow, what you are saying makes perfect sense! Thank you for the wonderful information, I really appreciate it! Which charge card would you recommend, the PRG? I think that's the one with the 25 MR sign up point bonus. So if I get approved for all 3 cards (fingers crossed) you think I would still be able to apply for the BCP in Jan??

Yea I think the PRG is probably the best option.

It's hard to say whether Amex will approve you. What you could do is to apply for these 3 cards sometime mid to late December, and then apply for the BCP during first week of Jan. That way you have a bit more leeway since the Freedom and Quicksilver account will not show up on your CR until mid Jan. 

Okay, so you're saying if I app right now, they will show up on my CR early Jan right? The only problem is, I have a few purchases I was planning to make now for christmas (which would help take care of the money needed to earn the sign up bonus. I'm also now thinking of substituting the quicksilver card for the barclays arrival card.

BoA 123 $2.5k (11/12) // Discover It $3.9k (7/13) // Citi Forward Student $3.8k (7/13) // Chase Freedom 5k (12/13) // Amex Blue Cash 6k (1/15)

Starting Score: No Credit History (11/12)
Current Score: MyFico 761
Goal Score: 800+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 21 of 35
b1gr3dmachin3
Contributor

@k0csi wrote:

@b1gr3dmachin3 wrote:

@k0csi wrote:

@b1gr3dmachin3 wrote:

@Beane wrote:

If you spend more than $2500 a year on groceries I'd for BCP instead of BCE.  I really wish I had.

Depends, what do they consider "supermarkets"?

Just a fun fact ... the liquor store down the street from my house is coded as grocery!   LMAO   I love it.  Was a pleasant suprise.

Wow, nice! That's why I'm a little confused what is considered a "supermarket" and what isn't lol!

You kinda don't know until you run the card once and see what it shows up as.  AmEx says what every transaction is coded as once it clears.

Got ya, seems like kind of a surprise lol. Do you know if Wal-Mart is listed as a supermarket?

BoA 123 $2.5k (11/12) // Discover It $3.9k (7/13) // Citi Forward Student $3.8k (7/13) // Chase Freedom 5k (12/13) // Amex Blue Cash 6k (1/15)

Message 22 of 35
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

@b1gr3dmachin3 wrote:

@k0csi wrote:

@b1gr3dmachin3 wrote:

@k0csi wrote:

@b1gr3dmachin3 wrote:

@Beane wrote:

If you spend more than $2500 a year on groceries I'd for BCP instead of BCE.  I really wish I had.

Just a fun fact ... the liquor store down the street from my house is coded as grocery!   LMAO   I love it.  Was a pleasant suprise.

Wow, nice! That's why I'm a little confused what is considered a "supermarket" and what isn't lol!

You kinda don't know until you run the card once and see what it shows up as.  AmEx says what every transaction is coded as once it clears.

Got ya, seems like kind of a surprise lol. Do you know if Wal-Mart is listed as a supermarket?

Sadly, Walmart Supercenters don't qualify as grocery for Amex purchases.  I've read on here that some of the Walmart Neighborhood Grocery stores might qualify though.  As always, YMMV.

FICOs: TU08 842 EQ08 850 EX08 850

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; Apple Card $20K; BofA Travel Rewards Visa Sig $67.6K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Chase Freedom Unlimited $21.4K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Visa $25K; NFCU Flagship Visa Sig $40K; NFCU More Rewards Amex $30K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Altitude Go Visa Sig $20K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Message 23 of 35
b1gr3dmachin3
Contributor

@CribDuchess wrote:

@b1gr3dmachin3 wrote:

@k0csi wrote:

@b1gr3dmachin3 wrote:

@k0csi wrote:

@b1gr3dmachin3 wrote:

@Beane wrote:

Sadly, Walmart Supercenters don't qualify as grocery for Amex purchases.  I've read on here that some of the Walmart Neighborhood Grocery stores might qualify though.  As always, YMMV.

Figured, thanks

Message 24 of 35
AAstra
Regular Contributor

@b1gr3dmachin3 wrote:

Thank you all, I will report back to let you know how it goes...I think I will just go for the amex bcp and chase freedom for now and save the capone quicksilver for later....Going 3/3 might be pushing it?

Yeah definitely follow up and let us know the results. Good luck!!

FICO - TU: 815 | EQ: 793 | EX: 813

Sears MasterCard: $13k (1/2013)
Capital One Venture One Visa Signature: $10k (7/2015)
Amex BCE: $9.8k (3/2014)
Amex Corporate: NPSL
Chase Freedom Visa Signature: $9.5k (3/2014)
Discover it: $9.5k (3/2014)
Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards: $2.65k (6/2013)
Message 25 of 35
b1gr3dmachin3
Contributor

Okay, so here is what I'm thinking of doing now. Any input is appreciated.

-Apply now for the chase freedom and amex PRG

-Early Jan apply for amex BCP and Barclays Arrival

-If I get accepted for BCP, PC my BoA 123 to BoA BBR since BCP is a pretty much a better version of the 123 card

I would like to apply asap so I can put some purchases I'll be making anyway for christmas on the cards to help cover the signup bonuses.

Message 26 of 35
samm90
New Contributor

Well let us know how it goes
Discover Tu 730(2/14) DCU Eq 725(2/28)

Bouncing back from new accts and inqs. Hope to be back over 760 soon.
Message 27 of 35
b1gr3dmachin3
Contributor

@samm90 wrote:
Well let us know how it goes

Will do!

Message 28 of 35
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

B1Gr... your scores are similar to mine.  I pulled the trigger three days ago and got 3 out of 3 approval. 

I apped to Barclay first and got approved.  Then AMEX PRG and got approved ( no preset limit ).  Then seconds later went for BCP and got approved $3000 credit. 

I read on here that AMEX Hard pulled all three bureaus but I am not seeing anything showing up on EQ.  Barclay HP only TU.  Basically if lucky you can get three cards approved with minimum inquiry.  

AMEX overnighted the PRG card and I received it today.  VEry nice.

Good luck to you.

Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 29 of 35
Beane
Regular Contributor

@Fico2Go wrote:

B1Gr... your scores are similar to mine.  I pulled the trigger three days ago and got 3 out of 3 approval. 

I apped to Barclay first and got approved.  Then AMEX PRG and got approved ( no preset limit ).  Then seconds later went for BCP and got approved $3000 credit. 

I read on here that AMEX Hard pulled all three bureaus but I am not seeing anything showing up on EQ.  Barclay HP only TU.  Basically if lucky you can get three cards approved with minimum inquiry.  

AMEX overnighted the PRG card and I received it today.  VEry nice.

Good luck to you.

Amex did Experian for me.

FICO EQ: 733 TU: 727 CS FAKO EX: 737                                                                                               In the garden since 5/9/13
Message 30 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.