cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feeling like too much credit is available?

tag
MoreInfo1
Regular Contributor

Feeling like too much credit is available?

Is this possible? After coming back to this wonderful community here at myfico, I have been on an apping rampage. I feel I have sufficient credit that I'm able to keep track of but I may be going out of control by apping for more. I have the following cards:

Wells Fargo $8000
Chase Freedom $2000 CL
Chase Slate $1000 CL
Discover IT $1500
NFCU cash rewards $12500 (new)
DCU $2900 (new)
Barclay RM $6100
AMEX ED $8500 (new)
Victorias Secret $900

but can't seem to decide if I should be closing out any (although I will be closing the Chase Slate after the 0% APR is over next year). Does anyone feel this struggle? How do those with so many cards manage/juggle it all on top of bills?

Message 1 of 44
43 REPLIES 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Feeling like too much credit is available?

There have been a lot of discussions on this topic in this forum. I think unless you can transfer one card's CL to another, there is no point to close a card by yourself. Maybe just leave it there for a while and come back to use once for small stuffs to keep it alive.

Message 2 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Right now, you need to stop and let all your new accounts age.  If the plan is to get another card next year then wait till that time and assess your needs.  But don't close anything right now as you have already taken the hardpulls for them.

They credit limits also pad your utilization so just let them age and re-assess your need for them when the time comes for a new card.

Message 3 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't close any account, just don't use it. And keep the Slate for the free Fico score. It helps with your utilization. 

Don't apply any more. There is a diminishing return with too many new cards. You hurt your AAOA, spook some insurers, and seem more of a credit risk. 

Enjoy what you have gotten. 

What are you scores now and what were they before you starting apping?

Message 4 of 44
MoreInfo1
Regular Contributor

I forgot, I also applied for and was approved recently for a Home Depot card with a 5k SL.

I will not be apping anymore. It doesn't seem that my scores have changed drastically but I really should stop before it does. My credit scores now are TU 728 (734 last month), EQ 703 (no change) and EX 699 (per HD letter, not sure what it is now). Currently, my oldest account is 12 years and AAOA had dropped to 5 yrs 10 mos.

I will likely reassess some time next year based on usefulness of each card. Even if there is no balance on the card, it is starting to feel like baggage. I guess this is how credit card remorse feels like...
Message 5 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

You know the rule of thumb, NEVER close any accounts. It hurts your profile and takes away the padding you need to keep your utilization low and scores high should you need to make some large charges.

Just make some random small purchases on the cards you don't use much every 3-4 months.

Message 6 of 44
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I'd recon HD to $25k (they will counter)

I would move the $1k Slate to Freedom and Close the slate.

consider the $15k checking line of credit with Navy too and then garden!

Message 7 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

You know the rule of thumb, NEVER close any accounts. It hurts your profile and takes away the padding you need to keep your utilization low and scores high should you need to make some large charges.

Just make some random small purchases on the cards you don't use much every 3-4 months.

If I never closed any accounts, I'd have over 100 and would not have been able to churn them. This is silly even for non-churners. Close what you don't use and don't need and focus on growing what you do use to reasonable limits for your spend. Buying unnecessary items to keep an account open is akin to paying an annual fee, And for what? So one can brag to their internet buddies about how they have 800K in store card limits but are still kicking around a $2,000 Chase Freedom. Smiley LOL

Message 8 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yup, I would prefer to have a few cards of high limit (over 10k easily each) than to have tons of cards because I'm afraid of what would happen if I close a card, or two, or ten.

I had a few store credit cards including victoria secret (whom I'm never opening no matter how many times they sneak that into the checkout process) because the clerk told me that it wasn't a "credit card"

Young and dumb.

I would go with what creditaddict said.

I would also pick out two or three cards you'd want in your wallet and than to keep the rest active just find a bill to be autopaid by the cc and than have the cc autopaid by your bank.

Message 9 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

You need to think those limits as red lines on a car. if a 8k is one limit the high range should be 6 grand and a healthy range is less than three grand and so on.

I have a lot to work on, a few accounts I would love to have and if I got them Id close almost everythingelse. Right now if i was 15% utilization on every single account I have I would be overwhelmed
Message 10 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.