cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fiancee new to US with 1yr credit history- second card now or later, and which one?

tag
newhis
Valued Contributor

Re: Fiancee new to US with 1yr credit history- second card now or later, and which one?

The only 'issue' with reporting $0 on the only card she had was that she lost a few points on her score. Fico score has no memory, so it changes with every credit change. So don't worry for reporting $0, that's only 'fine tuning' the score, just never be late or do something that will get stuck on the reports.

Message 31 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Fiancee new to US with 1yr credit history- second card now or later, and which one?

I was in a very similar situation. I got a discover after three months of  my first secure card. I waited patiently for a year after that . I got approved three prime cards with 27k credit limit in total . Whatever you do , wait for a year before you go for multiple apps. For now you can apply for Discover or any student card. 

Message 32 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

People I know with thin credit files have had excellent success with Discover.

Message 33 of 35
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the advice! The Chase decline discouraged us from applying for new cards soon after; if we had to do it again we'd have started with easier cards which would have avoided that whole decline... lesson learned. In any case, we're OK with her building credit slowly, as we don't finance cars and I have a low fixed-rate mortgage on a house we want to stay in, so I doubt we'll be using her new credit for serious purchases for at least another few years.

How much CL does AMEX tend to max out as a percentage of income? I'm afraid asking for $18K for her might trigger the dreaded FR. Might go for a smaller CLI request once 6-months-from-now rolls around-- hopefully she'll have additional new cards in hand by that time. Sallie is one we will look at, but I know she wants to snag signup bonuses and airline miles, as do I. She already thinks I'm crazy for getting her to sign up for $10,000 in credit cards that she'll never come close to utilizing, so it will take some convincing to get her to take on even more :-)

Or, just stop asking.

There is a very good list of cards already in the wallet. Congratulations on the credit build!

From here, the additional cards aren't going to add anything to the credit score, cash-back and miles earnings on spend is marginally zero difference, yet more cards add a lot to the monthly financial management requirements which many people are not comfortable with. Each person is different and must make their own decisions about which cards, or any cards, they want to take responsibility for. My suggestion is, your fiance has reached the point of not wanting any more.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 34 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! Yeah, it's her decision at the end of the day, not mine. She's okay with multiple cards and like I mentioned she really wants some good cash back and airline miles, its just a foreign concept overall as most European countries use credit rarely and at much lower levels than we do, so she's still adjusting to all of America's crazy credit card ways :-)
Message 35 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.