cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fico 776, small credit history. Which card to get?

tag
mt2va
Established Contributor

Re: Fico 776, small credit history. Which card to get?

I would suggest having her use the BoA card for a couple months maybe prior to asking for a CLI because they might question the need for an increase when she's never even used the card.  I know it seems maybe Chase Freedom might be a good shot for her credit file especially with her score.  And if you are eligible for NFCU they would top my list of places to start with.  They are very generous with their approvals/CL.

Starting Scores 10/12: EQ 460 (FICO)/TU 502 (FAKO)/EX 474 (FAKO)
(7/14): EQ 572 (FICO)/TU 624 (FICO)/ EX 612 (FICO)

Current (2016): EQ 605 (FICO)/TU 657 (FICO)/EX 646 (FICO)

Message 11 of 25
KIPPIE12
Established Contributor

+1 I would use a little and get some payment history on that account. I'm thinking if she does apply for other cards, their computer will look for payment history on her accounts, and could possibly deny based on no payment history  reporting. I have personally seen denials based on no revolving payment history. Then again, it could be a YMMV situation

Current Score: EQ: 828, EX: 833, TU: 820 Citi TY Premier WEMC 46.5, (Since 1983)Discover 15.6k|BOA WMC 30.5k|Barclays Juniper Rewards 15k|Barclays Amex 20k| Cap One QS WMC 15K|Chase Freedom VS 19.3k|Citi Dividend WEMC 25k|FNBO 15.5k|CSP 22.1K|Chase Marriott 31.3k|Citi TYP 20K|Citi DP 16.5k|Macys 5k|Sams MasterCard 15k|Barclay Arrival Plus WEMC 18.7k|Chase IHG WMC 26k|Citi Double Cash 10k|Chase MileagePlus Explorer 14k|Amex Everyday 16.2|BBVA Amex 22.5k|Total Rewards VS 12.5k|SGV 10K|Venture 12k|BOA Virgin Atlantic WEMC 11.2K|MB Amex 9.5k
Message 12 of 25
Janders000
Established Member

Might be overanalyzing a bit??  If that is her true FICO score (not FAKO), then I can't see any trouble getting approved for Discover IT or Chase Freedom or almost any other issuer.  Head on over to www (dot) creditcards (dot) com/cardmatch to see what might be recommended for her.  Very likely an Amex will show up on that list too.

Starting Score: 593 after SS in 2010 || CurrentScore: myFICO (10/29/13) - EX: 723 | EQ: 707 | TU: ??? || Goal Score: 760+

Amex PRG (NPSL) | Discover - AU ($16.9K) | BofA Platinum Plus ($7.8K) | Chase Freedom Visa Sig - AU ($7.5k) |
FNBO Amex ($6K) | Chase Sapphire Preferred ($5K) | USAA Platinum MC ($4K) | GECRB Amazon ($3.4K) |
DSNB Macys ($2.5K) | CapOne Cash Rewards MC - AU ($2K) | Amex Delta Gold ($1K)
Message 13 of 25
bluewolf12

I finally got a hold the account. Here is a screenshot of the summary. http://i.imgur.com/TyVCA4y.png

6.5k on student loans , 700$ bank of america credit limit but no balance on revolving accounts. 

773 my fico score . 700$ BOFA cash rewards card upgraded from old BOFA credit card that was never used two years ago. Student loans good standing 4 years old
Message 14 of 25
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

With 4 years of credit history I would think shed have a good chance of approval. However, if the lenders systems are looking at pyt history it's as if the cc does not exist-basically SD.

She should use the card and show some activity, ask for a CLI and check pre-qual sites like Chase, Barclays, Citi and Discover.
Message 15 of 25
bahbahd
Established Contributor

I'd personally go for the Disco IT right now. I'd be sure to put a small charge on the BoA card so it is not closed due to inactivity and ask for a CLI after a few months of use.

Instead of applying right away, if you just check the pre-qualified forms online she could easily be getting better offers in the mail. Offers like lower APR, longer 0% intro APR, etc.

Discover IT  

https://www.discovercard.com/cardmembersvcs/acqs/app/chooseMyOffer/findMyOffer?beyond=it&

Chase - Check for pre-qual and/or mailed offers in left menu

https://creditcards.chase.com/?view=d

Citi - in the middle of the page under Card Application Options, you'll see a link: Are You Pre-qualified for a Card?

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/creditcards/CitiHome.do

Message 16 of 25
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

So everyone is on the same page...from the rebuilding forum OP wants to do a BT. His debt to GFs credit. Based in that scenario, what cc's would be best if any?

I've posted a link to the thread
http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Cosign-new-account-or-balance-transfer/m-p/23...
Message 17 of 25
kalani91
Contributor

Thanks for the help! I'll check out pre approvals and try to find best balance transfer rates
EX 724 ,NFCU Cash Rewards 7k DCU Plat 4.1k, Discover IT 2.5k Chase Freedom 2k. . Cap1 Plat $1.5k, Cap1 QS 1k, , Wells fargo 1.5k, Paypal 1.5k
Message 18 of 25
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I want to reiterate what I suggested in your other thread. Transferring your debt, no matter how small or large to your GF is not a good idea. Paying down your util, obtaining CLI's for you would be the best choice.

Good luck
Message 19 of 25
Exonumist
Established Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
I want to reiterate what I suggested in your other thread. Transferring your debt, no matter how small or large to your GF is not a good idea. Paying down your util, obtaining CLI's for you would be the best choice.

Good luck

+1 

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.