Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fico is on to piggybacking...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fico is on to piggybacking...

The new FICO 8 score has all sorts of improvements for lenders, but here is one that I found very interesting...

They probably keep tabs on this and other forums to determine how we try and game the system Smiley Sad.

This was taken from the FICO 8 Score pdf on this page. The pdfs are under the evaluate tab.

This direct link should work: Direct Link to PDF

Start quote

Protection from authorized user abuse

The FICO® 8 Score also includes a modification designed to help protect lenders from authorized user abuse.

Over the last few years, lenders have become increasingly concerned about exposure to possible fraud by consumers who deceptively boost their score by paying to be added as an authorized user on someone else's seasoned and good credit account (a practice sometimes referrred to as "piggybacking"). Yet lenders also want the FICO® Score to continue to consider spousal authorized user trade lines to help support their compliance with federal regulations (specifically, ECOA Regulation B)².

In response to these needs, FICO scientists have invented an innovative way to include authorized user credit accounts in the calculation of FICO® 8 Scores, while materially reducing potential impacts to the score.

End quote

There is actually lots of great information on the www.fico.com about scores/scoring etc....

I kind of made a decision that I would not try to goof around with AU accounts for backdating purposes etc... Its stuff like this that makes me happy I made that decision.

What do you think of this?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
DI
Super Contributor

Re: Fico is on to piggybacking...

They been talking about the "piggybacking'  for  atleast 7 years now and nothing has change. 

Message 2 of 5
creditguy-378
Regular Contributor

I agree if it's for your spouse or a child that's just starting out with no credit within reason!!!  I have a co worker that helped out a couple of his friends that way he added them but didn't give them a card I think that is wrong and a lot of the lenders have been on to it for some time now i saw a post the other day where someone had added his wife to a card where it looked like she had 15 or 20 years with the card but she would be like nine years old when she got the amex and penfed called them on it now if it was an account that and was say 5 to 10 years old they probably would have let it slide

always use credit wisely and you won't ever feel like you're working just for the task master
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@creditguy-378 wrote:

I agree if it's for your spouse or a child that's just starting out with no credit within reason!!!  I have a co worker that helped out a couple of his friends that way he added them but didn't give them a card I think that is wrong and a lot of the lenders have been on to it for some time now i saw a post the other day where someone had added his wife to a card where it looked like she had 15 or 20 years with the card but she would be like nine years old when she got the amex and penfed called them on it now if it was an account that and was say 5 to 10 years old they probably would have let it slide

+1

Message 4 of 5
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

The source of the reason for the change in authorized user accounts goes back several years ago. Here is a link to an article about my term for it is scam related to credit repair.

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/debt/20070424_piggybacking_credit_score_a1.asp

There are legitimate reasons for setting up authorized user accounts.  Due to the abuse of this type account FICO has made changes in the scoring model.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.