Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fidelity AMEX CSR's are whack

tag
ksantangelo23
Frequent Contributor

Re: Fidelity AMEX CSR's are whack

It is an FCRA violation to access your credit via hard pull without consent. The calls are recorded, and you clearly gave no consent. Whether or not they remove the pull, you have grounds to sue for, at minimum, statutory damages up to $1,000. If you can prove further damages such as denial of credit based on the reasoning of "Too many recent inquiries", then you can include actual damages. If a creditor closes an account of yours based on their own SP review for "Too many inquiries", well, you can see the domino effect.

Anyone who is able to pull your credit on behalf of a company, such as the CSR, if fully aware of the dangers of doing this and at the very least, mentioning that you're aware of this being a FCRA violation should be enough for them to request the pull be removed.

AMEX Hilton Ascend: $55,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve: $30,000 | PNC Points: $17,500 | AMEX BCE (AU): $18,000 | AMEX BCP: $15,000 | US Bank Cash+ $15,000 | AMEX Business Prime: $14,000 | AMEX SimplyCash: $12,000 | Capital One QS: $13,500 | Chase Business Ink: $12,000 | PNC Everyday (AU): $12,000 | JCPenny Store Card: $10,500 | Chase Slate: $9,400 | Capital One QS: $6,500 | (2nd) US Bank Cash+ (2nd): $7,500 | Discover IT: $6,000 | Chase Freedom: $3,500 | Auto Lease: $0/$21,000 | Auto Loan: $0/$18,000 |

TU: 818 EX: 809 EQ: 801

Message 11 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@racer-x wrote:

Man o man....just got my Fidelity Amex....Called in to activate....Talked to a very nice lady....

Card activated. 

CSR continued to give me my nice 13.99% rate, 0% BT til April 2016 info, etc....She asked if I was interested in BT.  I said hellyea but not with only 3500 limit.

She asked if I would like a CLI request...I said ONLY and ONLY and ONLY if its a SP...She said we will review the report that was pulled last week for the approval and it is good or 30 days.  It will NOT be another HP on youur credit.  We will use the same report for any of our necessary reviews of your account for 30 days.

I questioned this, not once not twice not 3 times, but at least 4....

She went on to explain how when shopping for auto loans and you get 15 inq's that they're only counted as 1...yada yada yada.  And reviewing my account/report falls into that same type of category...

I asked again, are you absolutely sure it will be a SP and not HP on my credit?  Oh absolutely sir, we will review the same pull from last week that was used for your approval.

I told her how insanely protective I am of my credit score...how I want to buy a house in 6 mos and I need the highest scores possible, etc....Absolutely sir, this will NOT be a HP on your credit.

This was a 25 min phone call to get activated and for me to be reassured that it was going to be a SP.

I knew in my heart of hearts that it is always a HP....but this sweet ole lady had me convinced....Maybe I got the perfect CSR...Great,  they're gonna look at my best report again, EX....$15k SP CLI here I come!!!!

Ok....go ahead then.....10 mins later, HP alert on TU. WTfrig.

Called CSR #2, he felt my pain....agreed that the lady messed up...suggested I just sit tight and see what the CLI request results are, and then proceed with an escalation of the situation.  He made sure I knew that all the calls are recorded and they will be able to do a 'call pull' to see exactly how  CSR #1 handled my call and what she told me, which was obvious misinformation.

Can't believe I fell for the blue hairs' trick.  She was so sweet and polite.

My question is: why are you messing around when you're trying to get a mortgage? There is always a risk that a company does an HP, even when they say that they won't. I wouldn't even hit the luv button within a year of applying for one. It is just too risky.

Message 12 of 28
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@ksantangelo23 wrote:

It is an FCRA violation to access your credit via hard pull without consent. The calls are recorded, and you clearly gave no consent. Whether or not they remove the pull, you have grounds to sue for, at minimum, statutory damages up to $1,000. If you can prove further damages such as denial of credit based on the reasoning of "Too many recent inquiries", then you can include actual damages. If a creditor closes an account of yours based on their own SP review for "Too many inquiries", well, you can see the domino effect.

Anyone who is able to pull your credit on behalf of a company, such as the CSR, if fully aware of the dangers of doing this and at the very least, mentioning that you're aware of this being a FCRA violation should be enough for them to request the pull be removed.

Really?   I thought with an existing relationship you have in effect agreed to this as part of the sign up (allowing them to review your credit as often as the desire).

Message 13 of 28
racer-x
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@racer-x wrote:

Man o man....just got my Fidelity Amex....Called in to activate....Talked to a very nice lady....

Card activated. 

CSR continued to give me my nice 13.99% rate, 0% BT til April 2016 info, etc....She asked if I was interested in BT.  I said hellyea but not with only 3500 limit.

She asked if I would like a CLI request...I said ONLY and ONLY and ONLY if its a SP...She said we will review the report that was pulled last week for the approval and it is good or 30 days.  It will NOT be another HP on youur credit.  We will use the same report for any of our necessary reviews of your account for 30 days.

I questioned this, not once not twice not 3 times, but at least 4....

She went on to explain how when shopping for auto loans and you get 15 inq's that they're only counted as 1...yada yada yada.  And reviewing my account/report falls into that same type of category...

I asked again, are you absolutely sure it will be a SP and not HP on my credit?  Oh absolutely sir, we will review the same pull from last week that was used for your approval.

I told her how insanely protective I am of my credit score...how I want to buy a house in 6 mos and I need the highest scores possible, etc....Absolutely sir, this will NOT be a HP on your credit.

This was a 25 min phone call to get activated and for me to be reassured that it was going to be a SP.

I knew in my heart of hearts that it is always a HP....but this sweet ole lady had me convinced....Maybe I got the perfect CSR...Great,  they're gonna look at my best report again, EX....$15k SP CLI here I come!!!!

Ok....go ahead then.....10 mins later, HP alert on TU. WTfrig.

Called CSR #2, he felt my pain....agreed that the lady messed up...suggested I just sit tight and see what the CLI request results are, and then proceed with an escalation of the situation.  He made sure I knew that all the calls are recorded and they will be able to do a 'call pull' to see exactly how  CSR #1 handled my call and what she told me, which was obvious misinformation.

Can't believe I fell for the blue hairs' trick.  She was so sweet and polite.

My question is: why are you messing around when you're trying to get a mortgage? There is always a risk that a company does an HP, even when they say that they won't. I wouldn't even hit the luv button within a year of applying for one. It is just too risky.

At this same time last year i went through the mortgage process just after opening both AMEX accts and 2 Chase accts....they were never brought up or mentioned.

The only thing that came up with those 4 new accts was that AMEX hit me with their $75 AF on the lst statement....so on a second pull of my rreports by the lender, they saw the 'new' debt.  I had to pay the $75 statement balance, prove that I paid it, etc....But there were no questions asked about the new credit.

The mortgage fell through 2 days before closing and I'm glad it did.  I might have a thread on here about it....it was a friggin' lst time homebuyer nightmare on my street.

Message 14 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@ksantangelo23 wrote:

Really?   I thought with an existing relationship you have in effect agreed to this as part of the sign up (allowing them to review your credit as often as the desire).

Agree.  I think people should be careful about giving out legal advice.  

Message 15 of 28
ksantangelo23
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@ksantangelo23 wrote:

By soft pull, they can.

AMEX Hilton Ascend: $55,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve: $30,000 | PNC Points: $17,500 | AMEX BCE (AU): $18,000 | AMEX BCP: $15,000 | US Bank Cash+ $15,000 | AMEX Business Prime: $14,000 | AMEX SimplyCash: $12,000 | Capital One QS: $13,500 | Chase Business Ink: $12,000 | PNC Everyday (AU): $12,000 | JCPenny Store Card: $10,500 | Chase Slate: $9,400 | Capital One QS: $6,500 | (2nd) US Bank Cash+ (2nd): $7,500 | Discover IT: $6,000 | Chase Freedom: $3,500 | Auto Lease: $0/$21,000 | Auto Loan: $0/$18,000 |

Message 16 of 28
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@ksantangelo23 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@ksantangelo23 wrote:

By soft pull, they can.

Where in the FCRA does it distinguish between hard and soft pulls?

Message 17 of 28
racer-x
Valued Contributor

RobertEG to the white courtesy phone.....paging RogerEG.....

Message 18 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@ksantangelo23 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@ksantangelo23 wrote:

By soft pull, they can.

It doesn't 

Message 19 of 28
ksantangelo23
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@ksantangelo23 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@ksantangelo23 wrote:

By soft pull, they can.

I wouldnt recommend sueing over this, but you (the OP) should know your rights and protections, and use that to make sure it is removed.

FCRA protects us by requiring authorization, which wasnt provided, and thats what it boils down too.

Also, FCRA doesnt use the term "hard" or "soft" and no agreement any of us signed allows unlimited hard pulls on our reports. FIdelity seems to have asked "Do we have permission to pull your credit" "No" "Ok, we will access your credit".

Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.