Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fidelity AMEX - for US nationals only?

tag
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

Fidelity AMEX - for US nationals only?

Hello fellow members,

I read a lot of praise for the Fidelity AMEX, and thought I'll app for it next year (once out of the garden). I already have AMEX BCE so backdating etc etc plus 2% flat rewards.

But for the rewards to make sense, I need to open a Fidelity account. I thought I'd open an account and build up some savings as well.

Halfway into the account opening stage, I found that the T&C contails the term "US person" according to W 9. In essence, it means foreign nationals can't apply.

Chat with Fidelity was taking way too long. Thought I'd ask here, if someone could confirm either way. 

Thanks !

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Fidelity AMEX - for US nationals only?

Fidelity Amex will not backdate. It's not issued by Centurion Bank -- it's by FIA aka Bank of America.

The account is extremely easy to open. I did it in 3 minutes last month thinking that I might apply for it.

Who may apply for a Fidelity Rewards Credit Card?
Anyone who resides in the United States and is 18 years or older may apply for a Fidelity Rewards Credit Card, but to receive the Fidelity Rewards benefits as a contribution to a Fidelity account, you must link your card to an open and funded Fidelity account. FIA Card Services, N.A. reviews all applications. Minors, corporations, funded eligible Fidelity account partnerships, and trusts cannot participate. Fidelity is not involved with credit card qualification decisions and cannot guarantee that any existing Fidelity customer will be eligible for this card.

https://www.fidelity.com/cash-management/faqs-rewards-credit-cards
Message 2 of 7
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Yes, I am a foreign national (but perm resident) and I have the Fidelity Amex, so certainly no restriction to citizens.

Message 3 of 7
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

Thanks Kenny and Longtime.

I understand that the card in itself is not restricted. But to get the most out of the rewards, shouldn't I get a Fidelity CM account?

I tried opening a Fidelity account first, and in the process, stumbled upon their T&C. It wants me to state that I am a US person according to W-9. I checked the IRS and this is what I found:

Definition of a U.S. person. For federal tax purposes, you are considered a U.S.
person if you are:
• An individual who is a U.S. citizen or U.S. resident alien,
• A partnership, corporation, company, or association created or organized in the United States or under the laws of the United States,
• An estate (other than a foreign estate), or
• A domestic trust (as defined in Regulations section 301.7701-7).

I don't fall into any of the above categories; and I didn't want to end up opening an account (the Fidelity, not the AMEX card) that is not meant for non-US person (national or green card holder). Without the Fidelity account, I understand that the AMEX points are not worth 2% anymore. 

So,

1) Can I get 2% without the Fidelity account?

2) Am I looking at the wrong Fidelity account?

Message 4 of 7
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

This is what the application says (I'm concerned about #2):

Under penalties of perjury, you certify that:

1. The Social Security number or taxpayer identification number you have provided is correct (or you are waiting for a number to be issued to you); and
  2. You are a U.S. citizen or other U.S. person as defined in the instructions to IRS form W-9, including a U.S. resident alien; and
  3. Unless you have checked the box immediately below these certifications, you are not subject to backup withholding because
  • you are exempt from backup withholding, or
  • you have not been notified by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) that you are subject to backup withholding as a result of failure to report all interest or dividends; or
  • the IRS has notified you that you are no longer subject to backup withholding.
Message 5 of 7
this

Are you a US Resident for tax purposes?

If you are you can sign that.

Usually for non-resident aliens, financial institutions give you a W-8 BEN for you to sign, but if it's written in the T&C I think you'll have to call and ask directly if they allow non-resident aliens (for tax purposes) to apply.

Usually the Substantial Presense Test can determine your tax residency status. Temporary non-imigration visa such as J and F have different rules.

Message 6 of 7
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@this wrote:

Are you a US Resident for tax purposes?

If you are you can sign that.

Usually for non-resident aliens, financial institutions give you a W-8 BEN for you to sign, but if it's written in the T&C I think you'll have to call and ask directly if they allow non-resident aliens (for tax purposes) to apply.

Usually the Substantial Presense Test can determine your tax residency status. Temporary non-imigration visa such as J and F have different rules.

Thanks, This.

Nopes. I file the NR. 

The site will save my application for 30 days. I'll go back to it next week and try to get hold of a rep and get a clarification. A tax or visa mess is the last thing that I'd want. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.