Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fidelity Amex - I have to wait

tag
oscar_actuary
Frequent Contributor

Fidelity Amex - I have to wait

Hey there

This is the first time I've not been instantly approved and also the first time I've applied for an Amex.  Online application and they came back with some note about a letter would be sent within 30 days, but an instant answer was not available at this time

Is this typical, or does it indicate that I'm probably ultimately getting denied? 

No baddies ever, jsut lots of inquries and new accounts lately.  Several old accounts, opened and closed, as well.  Fico was 740 about 2 months ago.

just surprised I need to wait for an answer. 

FICO EX 827, 2015 Feb; FICO EQ 836/900 (Citi), 2014 Dec; FICO TU08 818, 2015 Feb.

BofA Cash Rwrds Sig V 2013 10k; Fidelity Rewards AmEx /BofA 2013 15.4k; Chase Freedom Sig V 2002 24.1k; Chase Amazon Rwrds Sig V 2011 8k; Sam's Club MC 2002 10k; Dscvr It 2012 10k; Citi Dvdnd Plat Sel V 2013 8.9k; PenFed Plat Rwrds V 2013 20k; AmEx Blue Sky 2013 11.3k; AmEx BCP 2014 24.1k; Priceline Rwrds Sig V 2013 8.7k; PayPal Xtras GE Cap Plat MC 2012 5k

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Fidelity Amex - I have to wait

Check Application Status online

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 14
TM82
Regular Contributor

It's issued through FIA, so it's not a true Amex.

Call up FIA and ask for a manual review.
My Cards
American Express Blue | American Express Premier Rewards Gold | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase United Explorer | Chase United MileagePlus Club | JPMorgan Palladium

Message 3 of 14
w20031424
Frequent Contributor

I was approved when I called Recon with $1.5K two month ago. After one month, I called to bump it to 6K. I may call again to bump it to $15K next week.  Maybe they'll counter to $10K.

Fide Amex 15K | Barclays Reward 3.5K | Citi Forward Student 5K | Discover IT 12.8K | US Cash Reward 6K | GE Paypal 5.5K | Wal Discover 6K | CapOne 3.5K | Kohl's 0.3K
Message 4 of 14
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

As TM82 said, this card is not issued by American Express directly, and there is no online application status. Not receiving an instant approval does not mean a denial and tomorrow you can ring them if you want to get it decisioned right there. Some of the highest lines I have have gone through a manual review.

Message 5 of 14
HiLine
Blogger

I would call FIA on Monday if their office is closed now. The result could go either way.

Message 6 of 14
oscar_actuary
Frequent Contributor

Thank you all very much.  I had checked the online status and yes, my application was not on record; but I figured it could be due to being a weekend.

Now, I understand why.

Alrighty, I will call them Monday.  Presuming FIA is still a subsidiary of BoA, I guess the fact I already have 2 cards (2001, 2013) will factor in.

The 2% on everything is the main attraction.  Some superficial way, I'm "disapointed" it's not a pure AMEX, of which I don't have.  Yeah, silly.

cheers

edited for typos

FICO EX 827, 2015 Feb; FICO EQ 836/900 (Citi), 2014 Dec; FICO TU08 818, 2015 Feb.

BofA Cash Rwrds Sig V 2013 10k; Fidelity Rewards AmEx /BofA 2013 15.4k; Chase Freedom Sig V 2002 24.1k; Chase Amazon Rwrds Sig V 2011 8k; Sam's Club MC 2002 10k; Dscvr It 2012 10k; Citi Dvdnd Plat Sel V 2013 8.9k; PenFed Plat Rwrds V 2013 20k; AmEx Blue Sky 2013 11.3k; AmEx BCP 2014 24.1k; Priceline Rwrds Sig V 2013 8.7k; PayPal Xtras GE Cap Plat MC 2012 5k

Message 7 of 14
oscar_actuary
Frequent Contributor

I called and was transferred to an analyst.  After confirming a few items, inlcuding a dismal liquid savings account, he noted that since I already had $25,600 from two other BofA cards, he could approve the app, only if I agreed to reduce the limit of another card.  I had not considered that as a solution so was not prepared.  I thought it through a half sec and decided to go with taking $7600 from the World Points card and create a line for the Fidelity Amex.  That'll do for now.  I was mainly applying to get a default 2% reward all the time.

I guess since BofA backs this card, I won't get the AMEX automatic 3xCLI after 3 mo, or whatever it is ?

Glad I called.  I dont' like outstanding issues.

Message 8 of 14
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@oscar_actuary wrote:

I called and was transferred to an analyst.  After confirming a few items, inlcuding a dismal liquid savings account, he noted that since I already had $25,600 from two other BofA cards, he could approve the app, only if I agreed to reduce the limit of another card.  I had not considered that as a solution so was not prepared.  I thought it through a half sec and decided to go with taking $7600 from the World Points card and create a line for the Fidelity Amex.  That'll do for now.  I was mainly applying to get a default 2% reward all the time.

I guess since BofA backs this card, I won't get the AMEX automatic 3xCLI after 3 mo, or whatever it is ?

Glad I called.  I dont' like outstanding issues.

Correct, the 3x CLI elegible criteria is only applicable to AMEX (Centurion Bank) issued credit cards.  Unfortunately, the same elegibility doesn't apply for other AMEX-backed lenders such as BofA/FIA, GE, USAA, Citi, PenFed, etc.

On the upside, BofA was able to approve the Fidelity AMEX with a carve out from your existing BofA CC.  Eventually, you can even out the CLs on both (i.e. swap CL amounts) to leverage where you would benefit most in your spending habits.

Message 9 of 14
Sevenfeet
Regular Contributor

Reading all this I'm still amazed that I managed to get FIA to grant me a $20k Fidelity Amex card when I already had a $20k BofA MasterCard. But those two cards are easily two of the most used products in my wallet covering half of my annual credit card spend and easily the lion's share of individual transactions.
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.