Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fidelity Amex

tag
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: Fidelity Amex

@longtimelurker wrote:

It is a good card, but how much value depends on your other cards: as you get more and more spending covered under categories, the bucket for "everything else" can become pretty small, and then the difference between 2 and 1.5% (or even 1%) can become insignificant.

Yeah thats the thing I have 6% groceries 3% gas 2% restuarants already don't know where else i would use this card, but i also would not cash out with the cash back rewards. They would go straight into my mutual fund. I really have been doing bad job saving for the long term so every little bit counts i guess.

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 11 of 28
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

It is a good card, but how much value depends on your other cards: as you get more and more spending covered under categories, the bucket for "everything else" can become pretty small, and then the difference between 2 and 1.5% (or even 1%) can become insignificant.

Yeah thats the thing I have 6% groceries 3% gas 2% restuarants already don't know where else i would use this card, but i also would not cash out with the cash back rewards. They would go straight into my mutual fund. I really have been doing bad job saving for the long term so every little bit counts i guess.

Yes, all helps.   Although my major spending categories are covered, there are still things like random stores, some online channels, doctor copay, vet etc that can go on this card, or Capital One Quicksilver if they don't take Amex.  I just checked and I have $350 back YTD on this card which is more than I thought.  But again, that's just $175 more than a generic 1% cash back card (and if you value UR/MR etc as more, the gap is smaller or -ve if you have one of those cards!) so might not be worth the HP/AAoA hit for some.

Message 12 of 28
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Yes, all helps.   Although my major spending categories are covered, there are still things like random stores, some online channels, doctor copay, vet etc that can go on this card, or Capital One Quicksilver if they don't take Amex.  I just checked and I have $350 back YTD on this card which is more than I thought.  But again, that's just $175 more than a generic 1% cash back card (and if you value UR/MR etc as more, the gap is smaller or -ve if you have one of those cards!) so might not be worth the HP/AAoA hit for some.

I am not as big on UR points as most people on here since i don't travel that much and I don't have an csp card. I was thinking of using fidelity amex for anything thats not covered by 5% from my freedom/IT and not groceries/gas from my bcp. I am going to wait till next year tho to apply. I was debating between this and Cap one QS.and possibly sallie mae world MC. I am thinking though i really should be adding more money into my mutual fund or roth ira. 

Message 13 of 28
heyitsyeh
Frequent Contributor

This card doesn't appear on Amex's website...does that mean that this card would not help in terms of building history with Amex?

Quote:
"With American Express soft pull 3X CLI requests at 2 month and then every 6 month interval after that, it makes more sense to get the card and then quickly get CLI increases to the maximum amount that American Express will allow you to have, rather than waiting years before even applying.

Plus due to American Express back dating additional cards in the future, its advantageous to get your first Amex as soon as possible. IE, to get one in 2013 rather than waiting."

In other words does any of that stated above apply to this card?
TU: 777 | EQ: 814 | EX: 764
Last INQ: 3/26/21
AAoA: 4y 7m
Lowest limit: Chase Freedom Visa - $13,000
Highest limit: Discover It - $56,500
Available credit: $200,600 (8 cards)
Message 14 of 28
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 15 of 28
heyitsyeh
Frequent Contributor

That's a bummer...oh well, having the 4 payment networks is good enough.

Message 16 of 28
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

It's a good card and one I was looking at to add to my next mini spree
Message 17 of 28
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
It's a good card and one I was looking at to add to my next mini spree

I was thinking of adding card too , but trying to be good and wait till next summer. 2% on everything  is good no matter what :-)

Message 18 of 28
heyitsyeh
Frequent Contributor

Costco Amex is next on my wish list, but I have no desire to app at the moment thanks to the lack of a Costco nearby.

Message 19 of 28
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@heyitsyeh wrote:

Costco Amex is next on my wish list, but I have no desire to app at the moment thanks to the lack of a Costco nearby.

OK, so I have to ask!  Why that card if you can't use it easily at a Costco?

Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.