Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fidelity Amex

tag
heyitsyeh
Frequent Contributor

Re: Fidelity Amex

I'm not sure, because when I did it I had just applied for the BofA BBR so that was all included in one HP. You should probably ask when making that request (it will be over the phone regardless).

TU: 777 | EQ: 814 | EX: 764
Last INQ: 3/26/21
AAoA: 4y 7m
Lowest limit: Chase Freedom Visa - $13,000
Highest limit: Discover It - $56,500
Available credit: $200,600 (8 cards)
Message 21 of 26
celluloid17
Established Contributor

@heyitsyeh wrote:

I'm not sure, because when I did it I had just applied for the BofA BBR so that was all included in one HP. You should probably ask when making that request (it will be over the phone regardless).

I have a feeling it would be HP.  I applied for my Fidelity Amex less than two months after my BBR (big mistake in hindsight!) and I wasn't technically approved because I didn't have enough payment history with BOA at that point on the BBR, but they did let me open the Fidelity Amex by transferring some of the BBR CL and that did result in a separate HP because they considered it a new account even though they weren't issuing me any new credit.  It was an EX pull for BBR and  TU pull for FIA/Fidelity Amex.  I obviously don't spend a lot on BBR and I don't use Fidelity Amex anymore, so it wouldn't be worth the HP to transfer the CL back to BBR.  For the record, we're talking paltry limitis here.  My BBR was approved for a $5000 starting limit and I transferred $3500 to open Fidelity Amex so the BBR sits at a $1500 CL.  I'd rather save a HP for something more valuable.

Smiley Happy

Message 22 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

The "don't close what has no AF" is too general for me. With that logic you'll keep almost every card you obtain, unless you obtain a lot of AF cards. It makes no sense.

If something is no longer useful to you, and you don't see yourself getting any use out of it in the forseeable future or ever, there is no shame in closing it. You are not obligated to keep it forever just because it doesn't cost money.

Yes you have to consider if your utilization will skyrocket by closing it, but it has no impact on AAOA, and other than util there is little reason to over worry about closing accounts. If it's not going to be useful, why keep it just to keep it? It's just one more account to worry about. Just my two cents

I don't think it's necessarily accurate to say it has "no impact" on AAoA. Granted, there will be no immediate impact, but closing multiple no-AF cards will lead to a weaker AAoA over time than you would have had otherwise. Fast forward ten years. If you kept all those cards open instead of closing them (especially if they were older accounts already), then new cards will have minimal impact on AAoA.

There's definitely no shame in closing a no-AF acount, but there's really no upside to closing all of them either. I recently closed a Lenscrafters account from GE/Synchrony account that I stupidly applied for 2 years ago for a 6 month 0% APR before I found myFICO. It wasn't that old and it was definitely useless. That I felt comfortable closing. However, I wouldn't close my Quicksilver because it's my oldest account and it has no AF. I never use it, but it's going to benefit me in the long run since it was opened in 98. I also wouldn't close any no-AF account from a prime bank. I'd hopefully PC it to something useful and keep it for long term AAoA benefit.

Message 23 of 26
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Consider PCing or opening another BofA card and transferring the limit. But the fidelity gives you 2% at places most cards will only give you 1. But to each their own
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 24 of 26
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

@DigitalArk wrote:
I don't use it. My main one is PRG and CSP. I am thinking to close it. The CL is 21.5k.

I'd get rid of the CU cards instead.

Message 25 of 26
heyitsyeh
Frequent Contributor

@celluloid17 wrote:

For the record, we're talking paltry limitis here.  My BBR was approved for a $5000 starting limit and I transferred $3500 to open Fidelity Amex so the BBR sits at a $1500 CL.  I'd rather save a HP for something more valuable.

Oh yeah, I wouldn't have done it either if my Fidelity Amex limit was low. It was in my case $15k whereas my opening limit for BBR was $7k so combining that was a no-brainer.

TU: 777 | EQ: 814 | EX: 764
Last INQ: 3/26/21
AAoA: 4y 7m
Lowest limit: Chase Freedom Visa - $13,000
Highest limit: Discover It - $56,500
Available credit: $200,600 (8 cards)
Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.