Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filed BBB against Capital One

tag
Florida1990
Frequent Contributor

Filed BBB against Capital One

I filed a BBB with capital one becaue I have had my capital one card secured card since jan 2011 and I was informed when I got it that the card would be eligible for future increases and graduation; non of which is now true but the EO called me this morning and apologized and offered to waive the annual fee on the secured card permanently which I actually tried to get it waived through regular customer service supervisor and he said he could not but gave me half off credit on each account. The EO guy also gave me his contact and told me that if I could not get a CLI after 5 months that I wanted to give him a call and he would see what he could do.  

Pre-CH7 Scores- TU 584 EX 540 EQ 581
Post-CH7 Scores- TU 656 EX 630 EQ 670

Navy Fed Cash Rewards-$4,500, Credit One MC $500, Credit One VS $700 Ollo Platinum MC $900, Avant MC $1,000 Primor Secured Vs. $200, Wayfair $750, Eddie, Jcrew, Boscov $250-$300.
Message 1 of 43
42 REPLIES 42
hizzaah
Frequent Contributor

Re: Filed BBB against Capital One

The BBB seems to be the way to get stuff done if you've tried unsuccessfully through normal channels. I'm having to use them to get a collection off my credit reports. You've got a contact at the EO now which seems to be pretty useful with CapOne! Good luck on getting a CLI!
QuickSilver - $20,000 | Amex ED $12,000 | Commence $5,000 | IT $2,200 | Freedom $2,000
Message 2 of 43
keithB
Established Contributor

LOL

@Florida1990 wrote:

I filed a BBB with capital one becaue I have had my capital one card secured card since jan 2011 and I was informed when I got it that the card would be eligible for future increases and graduation; non of which is now true but the EO called me this morning and apologized and offered to waive the annual fee on the secured card permanently which I actually tried to get it waived through regular customer service supervisor and he said he could not but gave me half off credit on each account. The EO guy also gave me his contact and told me that if I could not get a CLI after 5 months that I wanted to give him a call and he would see what he could do.  

Message 3 of 43
jd352
Regular Contributor

It's good that you got someone to talk to. But, ideally, they are not doing anything against the terms and conditions (which is when the BBB really comes into play). Unless, they distinctly, in writing, informed you that your card is not eligible for graduation or a CLI. You would also need your original terms to compare them. I only say this because the use of the word future, in this instance, is not defined. Future could be 1 day or 100 years. Hopefully, they will work with you in the upcoming months. You didn't mention if the EO graduated your card. Did the EO graduate your card? If they havn't graduated your card by now after all this, I wouldn't expect much from them in future communications.

NPSL............... $20,700........... $15,200.......... $5,000............ $15,000............ $20,000
Current Scores: Equifax: 761 (Fico) TransUnion: 751 (Fico) Experian: 768 (Fico)
Message 4 of 43
DrZoidberg
Established Contributor

It seems pretty distasteful to have to file a "complaint" to the BBB that jeopardizes their credibility all for something that's not guaranteed. A lot of people have great success with the card and get graduated as you said they should, but not everyone. There must be a reason they feel you aren't ready to be graduated. And by looking at your cards and scores in your sig it seems they may be correct. 

Message 5 of 43
eagle2013
Established Contributor

@Florida1990 wrote:

2011 seems like it certainly is long enough to unsecure, but just because you're eligible, i.e., meet the qualifications for a CLI and/or graduation doesn't mean Capital One is entitled to give it to you. They are a business, and just as you're free to cancel your card at whim for any reason, they are also at liberty to set whatever criteria in evaluating specific customer accounts. I think you were right to go to the EO, and I wish you much luck on the BBB process, but I fail to see where CapOne errored in this dispute.

Message 6 of 43
core
Valued Contributor

Way to go Florida1990!  I was in the same boat since 2010 and only recently closed my secured card.  At the time they said it would unsecure after 2 years.  I didn't take a screenshot of that page so I didn't have a leg to stand on and gave up.

To anyone that says graduation is not guaranteed, please point me to ONE post where someone got their card graduated.  Just one.  (And not by contacting the EO and making threats.)  If Cap One has recently (in the past year or two) started issuing new secured cards that DO graduate, I'm not aware of that and it would be a whole different matter anyway.  The carrot was dangled on a stick for us back when this secured card came out years ago and somewhere along the line they changed their mind.  Bait and switch.  They still haven't returned my $3k deposit to me, by the way.  2+ months later...  I don't blame them.  Why graduate people when you can just hold onto their money in perpetuity?

Message 7 of 43
keithB
Established Contributor

I'm sure after this move, the QS1 will get all sorts of luv.

Message 8 of 43
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

I don't see why so many moan and groan about Cap1, and exhaust themselves by contacting the EO or filing complaints with the BBB. Is that really who want to do business with anyway?

Just drop them completely and go with someone else and use their cards. There's no need to take things personal or get pissed off when there are so many other options out there.

BTW, I agree with a few of the other posters. It sucks you've had this card for so long and it hasn't gone anywhere, but that should tell you right there maybe to start venturing out instead of filing complaints, etc.
Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 9 of 43
MarcinXP
Frequent Contributor

@j_casteel wrote:
I don't see why so many moan and groan about Cap1, and exhaust themselves by contacting the EO or filing complaints with the BBB. Is that really who want to do business with anyway?

Just drop them completely and go with someone else and use their cards. There's no need to take things personal or get pissed off when there are so many other options out there.

BTW, I agree with a few of the other posters. It sucks you've had this card for so long and it hasn't gone anywhere, but that should tell you right there maybe to start venturing out instead of filing complaints, etc.

Agreed! I had 2 Capone cards QS with AF that was stuck at $2k with $39 AF and Sony that was increased to $3k no AF. I spoke to several EO and I wanted a PC to at least a card with no annual fee, perhaps a Visa Signature $5k limit card. Not Possible. After speaking with few EO people, I closed out both my cards and wrote a lengthy email to CEO in regards to why I won't be doing business with them at this time, my feedback on their current policies of how they dont really have a good transition program and I'm surely not taking a 3HP for a new app and a new account on my credit. I wasnt rude or nasty. Just saying here is why I closed my cards, this is why your business model does not work for me and good amount of people and thanked them for giving me an opportunity 4 years ago when nobody else did and not taking advantage of me like First Premier/Credit One does to people and that overall Capone is a good company for those who need a fresh start, but in terms of migrating or transitioning those who might have been sub-prime and now are 700+, Capital One has no game plan and poor policies. I told them what I have now and how other companies are throwing money and cards at me and finished with the fact that I will be grateful to them forever and if they do have a new product down the road year, 2, 3 from now that is competitive I will surely come back.

Received a call from SVP of Customer Service after that email, we had a good talk, he did admit they have some challenges or lack of how to migrate those customers and that they are working on different pilot programs, he offered to reopen accounts for me, but I politely declined because told him that even if he did it, I probably wouldnt use those products at all. Fidelity Amex is 2% on all purchases so it beats QS, I would keep Sony if I could get 0% program on Sony purchases, but that does not work. He did offer to help my Fiancee...he increased her limit from $2k to $5k, changed to World Master Card, removed AF for her...she is a 775 and we kept that one..I'm an AU..he talked to her as well since she was going to close her card.

I also told him I have a baddie from long time ago. he told me he couldnt do anything about that but did mention that even though baddies stay on credit for 7.5 years, after 7 years just dispute with CRAs and they dont respond to any disputes over 7 years. Gave me the date when 7 years will be up which was Nov 18th so I wont have to wait till March 2015 to fall off.

Overall nice guy and I was pleased with interaction. Will use Capone again in the and never had issue with them, but for now no need to keep cards I wont use.

NFCU Visa Sig $30k / Amex Blue Cash $25.5k / Fidelity Amex $25k / Chase Freedom $14.5k / Citi Double Cash $5k / Capital One Quicksilver Visa Sig $5k / Citi Best Buy MC $3K / Barclay Rewards MC $2.95k / BOA - BBR $2.5k / SY Lowes $15k / SY Amazon $6k / Target RedCard - $300
Message 10 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.