Did you mean: 

Final strategy check...

tag
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Re: Final strategy check...

@sengpatt wrote:

@boomhower wrote:

I'd flip Discover and Chase, Chase is going to be pickier than Discover.  Especially if you go for CSP instead of Freedom.  I'd say you have a shot at the BCE, and a darn good one at that.  I'd be surprised you aren't approved assuming they don't pull the 1 year AAoA one, that makes it a bit more borderline. 

I'd wait at least a year to do PenFed.  If you apply any earlier than that you are almost promised to be declined as being an Egyptian.  

??

Otherwise, looks like a good plan! Seems like you'll definitely be getting your money's worth out of the PRG. Smiley Wink

One of Penfeds classic denials is: Pyramiding Debt.  You could have a 785 FICO with 1% utility and they will deny due to recent accounts.  For a good shot I wouldn't have any new accounts within the last year, they are ultra consertative.  Once your in and approved they can be generous it's just getting in is the trick.
@Pilotdude wrote:

@boomhower wrote:

I'd flip Discover and Chase, Chase is going to be pickier than Discover.  Especially if you go for CSP instead of Freedom.  I'd say you have a shot at the BCE, and a darn good one at that.  I'd be surprised you aren't approved assuming they don't pull the 1 year AAoA one, that makes it a bit more borderline. 

I'd wait at least a year to do PenFed.  If you apply any earlier than that you are almost promised to be declined as being an Egyptian.  

Thanks Boomhower,

Would you think I stand much of a chance at the CSP?  I am more than happy to trade Freedom for CSP (I wish I could just do one app for both grr).

Maybe I should either go straight into the branch or call and try to see which they will pull?

I had placed Chase last based upon their reputation for recons and my banking relationship, but I know they are HP sensitive too, so I think I will bump them to the number 2 slot behind amex.

Let me ask you, when in this order, if I were to go for the BCE would you suggest I try?

I have no problem waiting a year for Penfed.  I know they are ultra conservative so I shall give your advice a lot of thought.  (More than likely I will wait the year) I really really do not want to waste a HP on Penfed and come away with nada.

Sengpatt,

Yea...airplane fuel will give me a LOT of points!   Its a reimbursable expense for me. Smiley Happy  hehe

Additionally, I don't want too many eggs in my omlet either. Smiley Happy

Typically with Amex if you app for two cards in the same day it's only one pull.  I say typically as it isn't 100%.  If your going to do it I'd do it immediately after PRG assuming an instant approval on it.  I think you chances are good for the CSP assuming a couple of things.  One they pull a CRA with greater than one year AAoA.  Two you have other credit lines close to or greater than $5k.  $5k is the minimum for CSP and if your current high is $2k then your pushing it getting that big of a jump.  Your income certainly supports but an often reason for denial is not enough experience at that credit level.  If you have large deposits with Chase that will certainly play into the equation.  It won't in the online app but will upon recon.  

It looks like you really want the PRG so I'd go:

PRG

BCE/BCP

Freedom/CSP

Discover

In a year PenFed.

Good Luck!

Message 11 of 14
Pilotdude
Established Contributor

Boomhower posted:

"

Typically with Amex if you app for two cards in the same day it's only one pull.  I say typically as it isn't 100%.  If your going to do it I'd do it immediately after PRG assuming an instant approval on it.  I think you chances are good for the CSP assuming a couple of things.  One they pull a CRA with greater than one year AAoA.  Two you have other credit lines close to or greater than $5k.  $5k is the minimum for CSP and if your current high is $2k then your pushing it getting that big of a jump.  Your income certainly supports but an often reason for denial is not enough experience at that credit level.  If you have large deposits with Chase that will certainly play into the equation.  It won't in the online app but will upon recon.  

It looks like you really want the PRG so I'd go:

PRG

BCE/BCP

Freedom/CSP

Discover

In a year PenFed.

Good Luck!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Boomhower,

I agree with every single thing you just said, including the Penfed portion.

In a year, I will be ready for Penfed and it can wait til then. 

I like the order of

1. PRG

1a. If PRG is instant approval...BCE/BCP (My groceries can support the BCP AF but I want to do the math on all AFs just to be certain.  If its close, I will app BCE instead)

2.Freedom (CSP later after 6 months or a year or a targetted offer and some limits at or really close to 5K)

3. Discover IT

4. Garden 6 months

5. CSP

6. Garden another 6 months to a year.

7. Penfed.

Smiley Happy  Thats "feels" right.

NFCU #1 Fan!! NO MOAR APPS TIL 10/13 Minimum!!
TU -746, EX - 721, EQ -745
Cards:NFCU Flag Visa Sig $10000, CSP $8500, AMEX BCP $2000 Freedom $3500, Disc IT $5000, Cap 1 Green $2100, Credit 1 CLOSED! AU on Amex Green, Discover $2000, Cap One Plat $1000
Message 12 of 14
boomhower
Valued Contributor

That looks like an excellent plan.  Make sure to let us know how it turns out. 

Message 13 of 14
Pilotdude
Established Contributor

@boomhower wrote:

That looks like an excellent plan.  Make sure to let us know how it turns out. 

Count on it Smiley Happy 

Thanks again!!

NFCU #1 Fan!! NO MOAR APPS TIL 10/13 Minimum!!
TU -746, EX - 721, EQ -745
Cards:NFCU Flag Visa Sig $10000, CSP $8500, AMEX BCP $2000 Freedom $3500, Disc IT $5000, Cap 1 Green $2100, Credit 1 CLOSED! AU on Amex Green, Discover $2000, Cap One Plat $1000
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.