Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally! AmEx giveth...

tag
adavis425
Established Contributor

Finally! AmEx giveth...

Got an email that AmEx is ADDING benefits to the Platinum card! Unlimited wi-fi during your travels (1,000,000 hot-spots worldwide) and a statement credit for TSA pre-check application fee. I guess it's something. Smiley Indifferent

AmEx Platinum | AmEx BCP | AmEx Delta Gold | CSP | Chase Freedom | NFCU cashRewards Visa Sig | NFCU Plat MC | WM MC | Discover it | JCP

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
NonSufficientFunds
Frequent Contributor

Re: Finally! AmEx giveth...

This topic was discussed a couple weeks ago - it does indeed seem like a very nice perk !!

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/New-Amex-Platinum-Benefit/m-p/3167744

Message 2 of 8
SevenNEW
Established Contributor

@NonSufficientFunds wrote:

This topic was discussed a couple weeks ago - it does indeed seem like a very nice perk !!

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/New-Amex-Platinum-Benefit/m-p/3167744

Way to make those $ 450 work for you! ;  )

SevenNEW, Garden Nerd - In the Garden until 2015!
4.2K 10K 24.6K
Message 3 of 8
eagle2013
Established Contributor

@adavis425 wrote:

Got an email that AmEx is ADDING benefits to the Platinum card! Unlimited wi-fi during your travels (1,000,000 hot-spots worldwide) and a statement credit for TSA pre-check application fee. I guess it's something. Smiley Indifferent

Yeah it's something but they can do much better. Loss of AA lounge is pretty huge. Wifi is good but that is complimentary (although limited bandwidth) at most airports. Now unlimited Boingo would be a game-changer.

Message 4 of 8
Stralem
Established Contributor

I don't frequent airports very often, but aren't there restaurants there with free wifi? Surely there's a Starbucks at most airports.

But the credit for the TSA fee sounds nice. For $450/year, helping their cardmembers achieve 30% less molestation at airports is the least Amex can do.

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 5 of 8
TrueGeminiNC
Frequent Contributor

@adavis425 wrote:

I was actually looking at the Platinum card.  I currently have a PRG card.  Indubitably, i don't see any advantages with the Platinum card.  My mobile data plan allows free tethering so I no longer have a need for wireless hotspots.  Additionally, more and more airports are now rolling out free wi-fi.

Also, considering my employment - i have free access to expedited security lanes, priority boarding and club access.  

Message 6 of 8
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@JAY305 wrote:

@adavis425 wrote:

I was actually looking at the Platinum card.  I currently have a PRG card.  Indubitably, i don't see any advantages with the Platinum card.  My mobile data plan allows free tethering so I no longer have a need for wireless hotspots.  Additionally, more and more airports are now rolling out free wi-fi.

Also, considering my employment - i have free access to expedited security lanes, priority boarding and club access.  

I mean wow with the word choice!

Sorry, didn't mean to not add anything to the conversation, but I had to remark on the verbal repertoire.

Message 7 of 8
jd352
Regular Contributor

It is great that they are adding benefits to the Platinum card because it shows they are not forgetting the fact that the benefits got watered down when AA and US-A removed themselves from the Priority Pass program. It was still a major blow to the program and Amex still needs to recover itself from the blow it took. After all, this is advertised to be a premier, if not the premier, travel card a person can carry.

The wifi was actually useful to me one day when I was out to a business lunch. I hope they continue to research ways to make the Platinum card better. Over the next few years, it will be worth it for me to carry. But, after that, depending on the benefits, I will have to see if it is worth keeping. 

NPSL............... $20,700........... $15,200.......... $5,000............ $15,000............ $20,000
Current Scores: Equifax: 761 (Fico) TransUnion: 751 (Fico) Experian: 768 (Fico)
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.