cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally Got my Penfed Cash Rewards Visa, but.....

tag
bs6054
Valued Contributor

Re: Finally Got my Penfed Cash Rewards Visa, but.....

Also, they said with 90 days no additional pull, and one hasn't appeared on my file.

The big delay for me was getting the second app recognized as just a request for EMV.  Underwriting kept asking if this was a request for a second card.

Message 21 of 30
Ron1
Super Contributor

@bs6054 wrote:

I got the original card in Oct (before I knew that EMV was available from PenFed), so I activated it then.

I also want to see if rewards transfer.   Both accounts show on my home page, but can't find a place on the rewards site to specify account number.

You have to find out which account got the rewards.  Sometimes, they have to do things on the end. They're very nice and they should be able to solve your problem. They weren't that busy.

Ron.

Message 22 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ouch it took 3 weeks to get your original card? I got approved last week and was hoping to get it by tomorrow. I guess I can stop stalking my mailman for a couple more weeks. Hope your replacement card doesn't take that long!

Message 23 of 30
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Ouch it took 3 weeks to get your original card? I got approved last week and was hoping to get it by tomorrow. I guess I can stop stalking my mailman for a couple more weeks. Hope your replacement card doesn't take that long!

From final notification of approval (on my second card) it took about 9 days.  I guess they don't want it too quick or there would be no market for their expedite service!

Message 24 of 30
chnceit
Valued Contributor

Approved on 1/9, its now reporting on my report and still no card. Grrr!!

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 25 of 30
Ron1
Super Contributor

@chnceit wrote:

It took mine three weeks to arrive. It already reported on EXP and TU. Now  I have to wait for another three weeks. I'm glad I have other cards to use. You need to have patience to wait. 

Ron.

Message 26 of 30
LesWH
Established Contributor

@Ron1 wrote:

@chnceit wrote:

It took mine three weeks to arrive. It already reported on EXP and TU. Now  I have to wait for another three weeks. I'm glad I have other cards to use. You need to have patience to wait. 

Ron.

Interesting.  My new PenFed card is reporting on EQ and EX, but not on TU.

NFCU Signature Visa Cash Rewards, NavChek, Citi AA AMEX, Cap1 Cash Rewards, Discover IT, Home Depot, Sears, Walmart, Chase Freedom, AMEX Green, Lowe's, AMEX BCE, Chase Sapphire Preferred, AMEX Hilton Honors Surpass, PayPal Extras MC, PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards, AMEX Platinum

GC Challenge: App Free since 1/8/13. No more apps til 2014

Message 27 of 30
haiti222
Contributor

An answer to a couple of things in the thread.

The PIN is hard wired into the card. In most other banks, one is assigned, and it cannot be changed. For PenFed, you pick it, but it cannot be changed, once issued.

Why Chip & Pin in Europe? There have been instances reported where the PIN is needed. They include certain automated train stations, bicycle rentals, toll plazas, and gas stations, all of which there is no attendant. Without the PIN, they will  not work, and you may need to offer cash to passersby, to let you get what you need.

Also, some Dutch train stations have supposedly refused non-chip cards, even with an attendant. 

Also, many non-credit union cards are chip and signature. They may not work in many of the automated situations. An interesting feature of the Andrews Airforce Base CU card that has been reported is that it is a true chip and pin (like Penfed and State Department), but the priority has been set where PIN is the absolute last choice. This means that if you use the card in Europe, and it is able to, it will print a signature slip. That is not the norm over there for a chip card, so it raises some eyebrows, but should work. If you enter a PIN with the Andrews card, it means all other ways to pay failed, and if you had a Mag Stripe card OR a chip and signatue card, it probably would not have worked.  Flyertalk and Bogleheads forums are discussing these issues. Also, USAA is piloting these cards, and if you have the standard non-affinity MC, you may be allowed to get a card if you go online and indicate future foreign travel in the next few months online.

Message 28 of 30
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@haiti222 wrote:

An answer to a couple of things in the thread.

The PIN is hard wired into the card. In most other banks, one is assigned, and it cannot be changed. For PenFed, you pick it, but it cannot be changed, once issued.

What do you mean by "most other banks"?  AFAIK, this is a common function for European Chip&Pin cards, you can change the pin in an ATM.

Message 29 of 30
haiti222
Contributor

Thanks for asking. I had based this upon posts on Flyertalk a year or two ago stating that the PIN could not be changed. I went back and looked and found a discussion starting at post #410 (in a thread linked below) stating that the US banking infrastructure is making it difficult to have changable PINS, but at some point it may be possible. Andrews CU and SDCU were cited as not allowing PIN changes and picking the PIN for you. PenFed was listed as an interim step (pick PIN initially, but can't change it). 

Also, this issue, along with the risks of offline verification through the PIN and Americans desire to have changable PINS were discussed as reasons:

1) Many banks did Chip and Signature

2) Andrews made PIN the last option and not the middle one for verifications. 

By doing wither option, almost all transactions with US cards still get online verification and authorization.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1304271-usa-emv-cards-available-today-chip-pin-c...

Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.