Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally Preselected for AMEX!!!

tag
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Finally Preselected for AMEX!!!

Well, it took 5 months with my Capital One card, but I finally found preselected offers for me on AmericanExpress.com!!!  I was preselected for the BCE and the Gold card.  I am super excited about this because I saw a soft pull from Amex on 9/20 on my Experian report and I received 2 mail offers over the last month.  Those were for the Green card and the Gold card.  But the most exciting part is the BCE.  I plan to apply for the BCP next month once I hit 6 months history with my Capital One.  That card has a $3000 limit, and I plan to keep my reported util at around 3% for next month's statement date.

More posts will be coming during this month as I prepare an app spree because I value the opinion of others who have gone through this process before. 

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
mmmagique
Regular Contributor

Re: Finally Preselected for AMEX!!!

Awesome!! Great job!!!

In the garden until May 2022!!
Message 2 of 33
LesWH
Established Contributor

Congratulations!

NFCU Signature Visa Cash Rewards, NavChek, Citi AA AMEX, Cap1 Cash Rewards, Discover IT, Home Depot, Sears, Walmart, Chase Freedom, AMEX Green, Lowe's, AMEX BCE, Chase Sapphire Preferred, AMEX Hilton Honors Surpass, PayPal Extras MC, PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards, AMEX Platinum

GC Challenge: App Free since 1/8/13. No more apps til 2014

Message 3 of 33
irving_magik
Regular Contributor

That's awesome..... Just make sure you pull your most recent score prior to applying, just to make sure your score is good. I was per-approved too and was denied the first time I applied, about a year ago.  

Hope you get it, I love my BCP. I got $95 in rewards just two statements. 

Fico Scores: TU 700 (10/12/2016) EQ 729 (10/01/2016) EX 713 (10/01/16)

AMEX BCP $25,000 (opened 09/2012) - Citi TYP $12,000 (opened 12/2012) Chase Sapphire Preffered $6000 (opened 09/2012)
Message 4 of 33
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

@irving_magik wrote:

That's awesome..... Just make sure you pull your most recent score prior to applying, just to make sure your score is good. I was per-approved too and was denied the first time I applied, about a year ago.  

That's really good to know, thanks for the heads up.  Do you remember the reasons you were denied off the top of your head?  Did you have baddies?  Lots of recent inquiries?  From your signature it appears you had two credit cards, a car loan, and a relatively new mortgage reporting a year ago.

Edit: Just looked back through your history and saw you had a few collections reporting.  It looks as though Amex approved you after those started falling off.  Congratulations on rebuilding your credit successfully!  And thank you again for the heads up.  You're right, preselected doesn't mean I will automatically be approved.  I can only hope for the best.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Message 5 of 33
chnceit
Valued Contributor

@SnackTrader wrote:

Well, it took 5 months with my Capital One card, but I finally found preselected offers for me on AmericanExpress.com!!!  I was preselected for the BCE and the Gold card.  I am super excited about this because I saw a soft pull from Amex on 9/20 on my Experian report and I received 2 mail offers over the last month.  Those were for the Green card and the Gold card.  But the most exciting part is the BCE.  I plan to apply for the BCP next month once I hit 6 months history with my Capital One.  That card has a $3000 limit, and I plan to keep my reported util at around 3% for next month's statement date.

More posts will be coming during this month as I prepare an app spree because I value the opinion of others who have gone through this process before. 

Congrats! It feels good to get these! Yes I would apply before 2013 so your member since date is 2012 for back dating purposes once you get multiple cards with AMEX

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 6 of 33
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

@chnceit wrote:

@SnackTrader wrote:

Congrats! It feels good to get these! Yes I would apply before 2013 so your member since date is 2012 for back dating purposes once you get multiple cards with AMEX

Thank you!

If I do get declined, would I have to wait 60 days before applying again?

Or, if I get declined, could I immediately apply for a charge card to try and lock in my membership date?  Or would it not be worth it if it meant an additional hard pull?

Message 7 of 33
irving_magik
Regular Contributor

@SnackTrader wrote:

@irving_magik wrote:

That's really good to know, thanks for the heads up.  Do you remember the reasons you were denied off the top of your head?  Did you have baddies?  Lots of recent inquiries?  From your signature it appears you had two credit cards, a car loan, and a relatively new mortgage reporting a year ago.

Edit: Just looked back through your history and saw you had a few collections reporting.  It looks as though Amex approved you after those started falling off.  Congratulations on rebuilding your credit successfully!  And thank you again for the heads up.  You're right, preselected doesn't mean I will automatically be approved.  I can only hope for the best.

You are correct, I had a bunch is COs about to fall off but when I was per-approved my score was only 680. It was not good enough and even with recon it was denied. I had to wait 10mo and my score was around 730 TU when I applies.  

GOOD LUCK THOUGH!!

Fico Scores: TU 700 (10/12/2016) EQ 729 (10/01/2016) EX 713 (10/01/16)

AMEX BCP $25,000 (opened 09/2012) - Citi TYP $12,000 (opened 12/2012) Chase Sapphire Preffered $6000 (opened 09/2012)
Message 8 of 33
chnceit
Valued Contributor

@SnackTrader wrote:

@chnceit wrote:

@SnackTrader wrote:

Thank you!

If I do get declined, would I have to wait 60 days before applying again?

Or, if I get declined, could I immediately apply for a charge card to try and lock in my membership date?  Or would it not be worth it if it meant an additional hard pull?

You're welcome! If declined then you would have to wait 30 days. You could always try for the Gold charge card. Easier approval and foot in the door with AMEX. 

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 9 of 33
shakalaka
Established Contributor

First of all good luck, if you are going to apply.

Quick question, you have in total also only 5 months history? This may be to short for a revolver. Charge would be a better shot. I was approvd for a charge with 5 months history.

FICO (TU/EX/EQ): 773/766/778 - Total CL 255+K
Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.