Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally, Walmart, Old Navy Visa & Home Depot upgrade offers

tag
DM6410
Regular Contributor

Finally, Walmart, Old Navy Visa & Home Depot upgrade offers

Good News

#1 Last week, I log into my Walmart acct, and see they increased my limit to $1200 from $300. Great, now it gets better...Soft Pull

#2 After having my Old Navy card for over 2 years ($300 limit) this finally happens...and I didn't even have to ask for it. Logged into my Old Navy acct this morning and voila...It's right there big, bright offer, Preapproved for Old Navy VISA.....they are even willing to give me $30 off 1st purchase if I upgrade to the NEW VISA. Soft Pull...no request

#3, Receive in the mail today, Preapproval for Home Depot, (been waiting on this one forever) Just call the # or go to the store, we have a card waiting for you....blah blah blah

Now the Bad News >>>>>> I am in the middle of my mortgage application, just got preapproved and I am too scared to apply for anything until I have my house... Darn...does anyone know if my preapprovals will still be there in abt 3 mos?Smiley Happy Bad timing is my middle name...

As far as my credit goes, I am a work in progress...
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
bamagirl1
Established Contributor

Re: Finally, Walmart, Old Navy Visa & Home Depot upgrade offers

Hi! First congrats on the CLI's...

Second I wouldn't apply or open any new accounts until your mortgage process is done, (after closing etc) Then at that time I woud apply for the HD card..And besides that pre-approval isn't a guaranteed card so I would wait until after for sure..

The only other thing is I think with what I've read that if you upgrade to ON Visa, it shows as a new card and it closes the store card and you have a new open date, which could affect your score..I read in the past 2 people that had that issues and attempted to call but could never get it corrected..

Smiley Happy

~01/2008 Ficos TU 571-EX 647-EQ 652~
~3/21/2009 Ficos TU 705 EX 702 EQ 692~
~9/9/09 Ficos TU 718 EQ 693 EX???
~06/25/12 Ficos TU 719 EQ 677 EX??
Message 2 of 8
DM6410
Regular Contributor

@bamagirl1 wrote:

Hi! First congrats on the CLI's...

Second I wouldn't apply or open any new accounts until your mortgage process is done, (after closing etc) Then at that time I woud apply for the HD card..And besides that pre-approval isn't a guaranteed card so I would wait until after for sure..

The only other thing is I think with what I've read that if you upgrade to ON Visa, it shows as a new card and it closes the store card and you have a new open date, which could affect your score..I read in the past 2 people that had that issues and attempted to call but could never get it corrected..

Smiley Happy

Wow, that's too much of a RISK! I won't be applying for any credit until I have new house keys in my hand. One thing for sure as my scores improve, the offers will continue to come my way and they might even be pretty prime cards (really want to get in with AMEX - after the house purchase though)!

Thank you for your help.

Message 3 of 8
bamagirl1
Established Contributor

You are exactly right! As your Smiley Very Happyscores increase you will have more "prime" offers but like I said I wouldn't do anything that would put your mortgage in jeopardy until you have the keys as you said..Smiley LOL

~01/2008 Ficos TU 571-EX 647-EQ 652~
~3/21/2009 Ficos TU 705 EX 702 EQ 692~
~9/9/09 Ficos TU 718 EQ 693 EX???
~06/25/12 Ficos TU 719 EQ 677 EX??
Message 4 of 8
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

@bamagirl1 wrote:

You are exactly right! As your Smiley Very Happyscores increase you will have more "prime" offers but like I said I wouldn't do anything that would put your mortgage in jeopardy until you have the keys as you said..Smiley LOL

+1

Your mortgage comes first.  Prime cards will follow as your score increases. The mortgage might help your score some as well if you do not have one in your credit now.

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 5 of 8
skyisthelimit
New Contributor

OP - First off, congrats on the bumps.  2nd - Do not change anything in your credit profile (unless it is to lower UTI) while waiting for a Mortgage to close. 3rd -  Wait 1-2 months after your mortgage reports and you should start seeing some decent c.c. offers, having a mortgage helps with ur FICO.  GL (Stay in the garden till after you close!)

Message 6 of 8
DM6410
Regular Contributor

@crunching_numbers wrote:

@bamagirl1 wrote:

+1

Your mortgage comes first.  Prime cards will follow as your score increases. The mortgage might help your score some as well if you do not have one in your credit now.

Thanks to all of you for sharing your wisdom. It's great that we help each other stay away from making DUMB mistakes. I will not entertain any new offers of credit until I have my home built that I want....

@crunching_numbers, I do not have a mortgage on my report yet, so I look forward to those scores being bumped up. It's actually one of the key factors hurting my score since I don't have any real estate loans...interesting how having a mortgage or not can either increase or contribute to decreasing your scores. thanks again friends.

Message 7 of 8
DM6410
Regular Contributor

@skyisthelimit wrote:

OP - First off, congrats on the bumps.  2nd - Do not change anything in your credit profile (unless it is to lower UTI) while waiting for a Mortgage to close. 3rd -  Wait 1-2 months after your mortgage reports and you should start seeing some decent c.c. offers, having a mortgage helps with ur FICO.  GL (Stay in the garden till after you close!)

Thank you, I appreciate your encouragement. Yes 1st goal new home and sceond goal = AMEX for January 2013

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.