So got a scorewatch alert and my EQ fico is now 715. I don't want any more cards, but I would like to increase my credit limits. When I spoke to a USAA rep in July while applying for a personal loan, I mentioned my desire to do so. He advised me to wait until my score was above 700 (it was 693 at the time) to have a "really good chance" of getting a CLI. The USAA card is already my highest limit card (not counting a card I'm an AU on). I have already paid a little over 1/2 of the personal loan off (I got it for construction overages, which were less than anticipated).
I would also, eventually, like to get CLIs on Amex and Discover and try to PC the Chase SW card to a CSP.
I know USAA will pull EQ, which will lower that score again (reason for increase was listed as not seeking new credit). This will hurt my chances of getting a later Discover CLI, but shouldn't impact Amex or Chase, right? Whereas applying for an Amex CLI with a higher limit reporting on USAA should help?
I'm so paranoid about the 715 being "taken away" that I'm tempted to apply for CLI with USAA right now. But would I be better off leaving well enough alone, applying for AMEX cli at end of September (the one that really matters) and then trying USAA later?
If you consider the Amex CL to be more important, do that first, USAA second would be my recommendation... may as well maximize the chances, and also Amex like many other lenders may well pull a different report than EX for your CLI. USAA you're right you're guarunteed to wind up with an EQ pull to my knowledge.