Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally canceled First Premier

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Finally canceled First Premier

I know i might take a little bit of a hit... but not much ... on my CR.

It gave me a euphoric feeling that i was canceling a credit card instead of where i was 2 1/2 yrs ago almost begging for a credit card to start rebuilding.

When i called to cancel my account it was extremely friendly until the end when the lady hung up on me. I let the csr know that i wanted to cancel my acct, she asked why. I replied that this acct does not help me at all, in fact hurts me financially, i went on to explain that i get charged $14.50/mo for an acct w/zero bal. Thats $174.00 yr! I can buy myself something pretty nice for that money. I also went on to explain that for the life of this acct i have been at $700 cl. When i was done , she explained that she could give my acct a $40.00 credit and a $200 cli. W/ no hp. I told her thank you BUT NO THANK YOU. ( in hindsight i should have taken the 40 bucks and canceled next mo.)
I explained that if she gave me a $3,000 cli i might think about staying w/ them. She said i could apply for it, but their catch is that it cost you 25% of what they give you, i told her if i get a $3,000 cli you will charge me $750.00 ... i started laughing so hard she actually said , ok i closed your acct then immediately hung up on me.

So again, it felt extremely good to close this acct, but i will admit she did try to keep me as a customer, and offet some bonuses that i never received before.

So anyone out there wiyh this credit card you can call them and they will bend a little bit for you.

Hope this helps at least a few people.
18 REPLIES 18
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

Re: Finally canceled First Premier

Way to go!

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank You Discover 2016
Message 3 of 19
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Thank You Discover 2016

The fact that they hung up on you says a lot about the company, glad to see that they are behind you now.

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah that was the kicker, once she realized that i wasn't budging she hung up, lol. Oh well good riddance i say.... she also did not like the fact that i said my credit is above First Premier and their God Father credit practices, lol

Any hit to my credit over this is still worth the $174.00 yr in savings
Message 5 of 19
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Oh my god can you just imagine what a csr job at FP must be like? Ouch.

Served it's purpose and now time to move on.

It's a no brainer that your decision to make progress should (and is) of great importance to you.

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lol that's hilarious. Crazy how they offer a small cli then have the nerve to charge for it. Like they are doing you a favor. 

Message 7 of 19
someg33k
Established Contributor

Congrats on closing it.  They are OK as a temporary rebuilder card if you cant get a Cap1.

I had one back in the day... Was so glad when I closed that POS.

Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!  I know that's felt good.

We closed DH's a couple of weeks ago.  Of course, he was on the phone with me when the call was made.  I think the CSR was irritated that I was on the phone too.  I reminded DH to say, "Please close the account."  no matter what they offered and i explained the monthly and yearly fee we were paying, not to mention the 36% interest!  They wanted to give him another card, but, would not raise the CL.  He was offered a $30 credit during the call, but, no CLI.  It will feel good not to pay that bill next month.  It was worth missing out on the credit.  We had been trying to get and keep that balance at zero for almost a year.  I pushed a payment to it before we called, so now we are waiting for the refund check.  His Credit One is next.

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

congrats! I have 2 first premiers myself. They were my first two cards once I started rebuilding a year and half ago. Kept them mainly because the $1700 was big for my utilization lol. Now that I have a bunch of big boy cards now I think its time to pull the trigger on these as well. Smiley Embarassed

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.