cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally closed my first credit card! Question about CapOne APR reduction.

tag
WLRK11
Regular Contributor

Finally closed my first credit card! Question about CapOne APR reduction.

After much thought, and a few chats with Capital One, I have finally closed my first credit card: Capital One Secured MasterCard. The annual fee just hit and secured cards are not eligible for account combination. Looking forward to getting my deposit back!

Once the account was closed, I clicked on the pre-qualify link. I'm pre-qualified for Quicksilver Rewards at 17.9% (the middle tier). One-time $100 bonus when you spend $500. 0% until April 2016. 

How is Capital One with APR reductions? I might take this offer, but only if I'll be able to work the APR down to 12.9% (lowest tier) or lower. Have you been successful with an APR reduction from Capital One? Have you read about an APR reduction from Capital One on myFICO? Thanks! 

Age: 20s | AAoA: 2 yrs | FICO Scores: 700s | Inq: EX: ?, EQ: ?, TR: ? | GARDENING AS OF 06/2014

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Finally closed my first credit card! Question about CapOne APR reduction.

I was able to reduce my QS from its HBSC-legacy APR of 19.9% to 17.9% recently through the EO.

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 2 of 11
morgacj2004
Valued Contributor

Since you are going to get hit with 3HP. CO pulls from all three bureaus  you might as well apply for two cards Go for the QuickSilver and Venture One or Venture depending on your current scores. Then in 6 months you can consolidate the cards depending on your preferences. During that time you can work with CO on getting an APR reduction. They will most likley want to see some usage before lowering your APR.

AX Hilton Aspire 20k, AX Bonvoy Brilliant 15k, AX BCP 2k, AX Blue Bus Cash 15k, AX Delta Air Platinum 49k, (AU) AX Delta Gold 15k, AX Amazon Prime Bus 25k, BC Uber 29k, AKUSA FCU -10k , CITI AAdvantage Exec World Elite MC 16.5k, Discover (2) 16k, Kohls-4k, VS Comenity $3k, BofA AK Air Siggy 9.8k, WF Propel AX 5k, JCP $10k PFCU Plat Rewards Siggy 39.5k, PFCU Power Cash Rewards AX 10.5k, NFCU Flagship 50k, CLOC 15k, CITI Costco 9.5k, GAP VISA Synchrony $9k,Target MC 9k, Ulta MC Comenity 9k, Pay Pal 1k, CO Venture One 23k, US Bank Radisson Rewards Signature 10k, US Bank Fred Meyers World MC, 11k, US Bank Plat VISA 15.7k, VS Comenity 2k, 240k total available credit. Utiliz-2%, Current FICO EQ-724, EX 763,TU 802 ,Chapt 7 BK D/C 11-2012. Starting scores 520-550
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's a big moment, congrats! 

Message 4 of 11
kdm31091
Super Contributor

To me, instead of applying for what you know will be 17.9% and then hoping to "work it down", you should just wait, build your profile and apply later and get that lower APR in the first place.

Particularly with Capital One because although I love their Quicksilver rewards system I will not lie to you and say that every request is simple with them. APR reductions are mostly like pulling teeth with them from what I have heard, involving emailing EO,  etc. Many only end up getting temp reductions. The frontline CSRs can reduce APRs, but how often they actually do it is a whole different story. The point is that if you are focused on the APR it would behoove you to just wait and apply when the prequal says it will be lower in the first place.

Message 5 of 11
WLRK11
Regular Contributor

@SunriseEarth wrote:

I was able to reduce my QS from its HBSC-legacy APR of 19.9% to 17.9% recently through the EO.

Thanks, SunriseEarth! I hear it's quite difficult to contact the EO these days. Smiley Happy

Age: 20s | AAoA: 2 yrs | FICO Scores: 700s | Inq: EX: ?, EQ: ?, TR: ? | GARDENING AS OF 06/2014

Message 6 of 11
WLRK11
Regular Contributor

@morgacj2004 wrote:

Since you are going to get hit with 3HP. CO pulls from all three bureaus  you might as well apply for two cards Go for the QuickSilver and Venture One or Venture depending on your current scores. Then in 6 months you can consolidate the cards depending on your preferences. During that time you can work with CO on getting an APR reduction. They will most likley want to see some usage before lowering your APR.

Great advice! I might just do that once I pre-qualifty for the lowest APR on QuickSilver. I really like the ability to redeem the cash back rewards at any threshold. 

Message 7 of 11
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@WLRK11 wrote:

@SunriseEarth wrote:

Thanks, SunriseEarth! I hear it's quite difficult to contact the EO these days. Smiley Happy

Not to mention the fact of having to hassle with them to get a 2% APR reduction whereas with Discover or Amex it's a five minute chat process if you are eligible.

I like Capital One and the QS I really do. But APR reductions I don't think are really simple with them on the frontline level. I haven't tried it yet myself though. I am not going to jump through hoops with the EO over an APR on a card that I have SD anyway.

Message 8 of 11
WLRK11
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

That's a big moment, congrats! 

Thank you! It took a lot of encouragement from a fellow myFICO member. This is a great community. 

Message 9 of 11
WLRK11
Regular Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

To me, instead of applying for what you know will be 17.9% and then hoping to "work it down", you should just wait, build your profile and apply later and get that lower APR in the first place.

Particularly with Capital One because although I love their Quicksilver rewards system I will not lie to you and say that every request is simple with them. APR reductions are mostly like pulling teeth with them from what I have heard, involving emailing EO,  etc. Many only end up getting temp reductions. The frontline CSRs can reduce APRs, but how often they actually do it is a whole different story. The point is that if you are focused on the APR it would behoove you to just wait and apply when the prequal says it will be lower in the first place.

This is what I needed to hear/read! I am focused on APR, but only for the game. I don't revolve balances. A high credit limit is my top priority. Glad that you enjoy the Quicksilver rewards system; I'm looking forward to a VISA Signature from CO. Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.