cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally my first credit card!!!!!!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Finally my first credit card!!!!!!!!

Congrats!!

Message 11 of 20
FrugalRican
Blogger

@Anonymous wrote:

I applied for the BCE like an idiot thinking I could apply for a harder card to get and apply for an easier card to get if I was denied. I was so excited by my new score that I forgot that it was actually the other way around...

#1: You are not an idiot.

#2: Lesson learned. I wish I could have been denied by AMEX at your age. At least you have the knowledge and information a lot of us wished we could have had at your age. 

#3: Now you know what to do next. Garden. Try for a Zync in 6 months.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 12 of 20
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@namvet wrote:

Congrats!   Patience should be your next step!   Take your time (i know that is hard) and allow your 1st card to age.  Establishing credit is not a race.  Your next move should be around October.   6 months is the key.   You will, no doubt, hear from others to do the "app spree" but you are the one that has make that choice.  Good Luck!

Very good advice!!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 13 of 20
spengbab
Regular Contributor

I don't see how they wouldn't approve the Zync for you. When my score was 641 they approved me for it and I was only 2 months in paying my student loans.
Barclaycard Apple Financing (2100), Discover More (2500), US Bank Visa Platinum (2000), CFNA (2200), Chase Freedom (500), Capital One (1500), HSBC Platinum Master Card (750), Nebraska Furniture Mart (1000)
Message 14 of 20
Crashem
Valued Contributor

31 days before he can apply again with Amex.
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 15 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

With a credit score in the high 700s, I don't see the point in waiting 6 months.  

Message 16 of 20
FrugalRican
Blogger

@Anonymous wrote:

With a credit score in the high 700s, I don't see the point in waiting 6 months.  

Just a credit score in the high 700's doesn't mean anything to AMEX. If you're AAOA is one year and you have just one other account, they'll turn you down for a revolver. Their system for approvals isn't just based on a good credit score, they evaluate more than just that.

That's why some of the advice posted was for the Zync, as a starter charge card.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 17 of 20
Brusilov
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I think it depends on the application requirements for the particular card.  High FICO might not matter if they are looking for at least X months of personal account history before consideration for a card.  I'd probably just wait a while if I were you.

Message 18 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

So do the cards that I have been removed from as AU not affect my AAoA anymore?

I know it's not a great source, but Credit Karma is still saying my Oldest tradeline is 11 years 6 months, and my average age of open credit lines is 4 years 9 months. This is based on my TransUnion report, and none of the balances from the cards I was an AU on are reporting.

I'm confused though because I have my Experian report from when I was denied the BCE and the AMEX was still reporting, but I don't see any mention of the Chase card that I was an AU on and removed. How could my AAoA be affected cards that I am no longer on if they arent even mentioned on the report?

Message 19 of 20
xboxrunner
Regular Contributor

I'd wait at least 6 months before making a move. Sure, its tempting to app now, but you'll regret it if your denied and stuck with another inquiry. Play it safe and manage your card well for 6 months then do what another poster suggested and ask for cli. Then at the 1 year mark app for Zync.

Transunion - 820 (9/8/21)
Equifax Fico 8 - 832 (9/8/21)
Vantagescore - 821 (3/20/21)
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.