Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally paying down high utilization and Chase is screwing me on CL's

tag
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Re: Finally paying down high utilization and Chase is screwing me on CL's

OP- that really sucks
Thankfully they can't RJ you anymore these days, because, of the could they probably would!
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 11 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a feeling that once you've paid off the balance and shown Chase you don't need their diminishing credit limit, they'll bend over backwards to try to win you back.
Message 12 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Considering I am a Chase Private Client and have a decent amount of assets with them, I am sure I can get them to reinstate everything at some point or I'll just take everything to another institution Smiley Happy
Message 13 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would move on from Chase.  They screwed me over pretty badly in the past.  I will only use them for sign up bonuses. And then never use their cards again.  To me they are the worst credit card issuer by far.  

Message 14 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Considering I am a Chase Private Client and have a decent amount of assets with them, I am sure I can get them to reinstate everything at some point or I'll just take everything to another institution Smiley Happy

Well, considering that, you must have at least 250K there, so why not just write them a check and be done? And as a CPC, how would you explain 95% until on a low limit card? For a year. Lol. Or did I miss something?

Message 15 of 30
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Well, considering that, you must have at least 250K there, so why not just write them a check and be done? And as a CPC, how would you explain 95% until on a low limit card? For a year. Lol. Or did I miss something?

+1

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 16 of 30
happypill
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I would move on from Chase.  They screwed me over pretty badly in the past.  I will only use them for sign up bonuses. And then never use their cards again.  To me they are the worst credit card issuer by far.  

During the financial meltdown of '08-'10, Chase was clearly the most aggressive and brutal in their tactics among the major lenders.  In my personal experience, I ended up with COs from Chase, Citi and BofA all at around the same time in 2010 and each for a similar $5k of so.  BofA and Citi went through their CO procedures as you expect they would, but Chase went much further and eventually filed and obtained a judgment - as it turns out illegally.  Chase ended up paying $166m in fines over their collection tactics (see link below), including obtaining judgements by providing false sworn statements and forged signatures, and I actually ended up with a settlement of like $100 years later.

So, I feel the same way as frogman1.  I'll gladly partake in their sign-on bonuses and perks for the free money, but they'll never be at the top of my wallet again.

To the OP, it's possible that any lender will balance chase you when they smell problems.  Historically, BofA and Capital One have been less aggressive I think, but things change over time.

http://blog.credit.com/2015/07/chase-to-pat-166-million-for-shoddy-illegal-debt-collection-practices-120517/

Message 17 of 30
luxeprw9
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Maybe it's retirement funds.  I don't know!  LOL!  Just giving the OP the benefit of doubt because I am a Preferred Platinum Honors client with BOA and the bulk of it is retirement funds.  I would hope OP wouldn't cash out those funds but instead get on a budget (or whatever) and pay his cards down some other way.

FICO Score 8 as of 07/23/18
EQ - 770
EX - 757
TU - 741
Goal: 800
Message 18 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

You hit the nail on the head. Having assets vs having free cash are two different things and everyone's situation is different. No way we're dipping into retirement funds an various other holdings for a temporary cash flow crunch. It's funny that they will give you whatever you want for years and years of perfect payments but when you take a risk they don't have your back. Typical bank.

We are paying it all off fairly quickly now that the new business is soaring but I just want to speed up the process as much as possible so I can be done with it.

Once we wipe it all out we will give Chase a chance to put everything back in place as it was or we will just move everything to another account. I'm sure they will do the right thing.
Message 19 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, who's to say it's a small balance on a low limit card? I only gave examples, not real numbers!
Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.