cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally starting to close some

tag
talithalee

Finally starting to close some

I've been an avid lurker for a long time time now as well as a MyFico member, but just got the courage to post.  During my own rebuilding time I have met very stubborn resistance from Chase...not sure what that is about.  I finally managed to acquire an Amex Gold, though with a low $1000 limit.  So far they have resisted all my efforts for a CLI, though, possibly because I did a low burn on them in a BK discharged in 1996.  I'm patient, though, and expect to win them over the rest of the way eventually.  Either way,  this forum has helped me to rebuild in a rather dramatic way.  I have finally gotten the aping urge out of my system and today I took that first step at getting rid of any sub-primes by closing both of my First Premier MC's.  I have already taken the Fico hits on inquiries with futile requests to Amex and Chase, so thought it would be a good time to take a slight utilization hit with closing the two cards.  More to come, I hope.  Right now, just seemed to be the right time and I hope it turns out to be a good decision. Don't really know how to set up a signature panel with more info right now...just wanted to share and to say thank you for all this forum does!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Re: Finally starting to close some

Congrats on your journey! Welcomecto the forum and thanks for sharing.

edit: to add things to your signature go to my settings, my profile,  signature and add what you want and save.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 2 of 7
talithalee

Actually meant the Delta Skymiles Amex and not the Gold.  Thanks for the information about the signature panel..,will work on that over time.  Just finally clad to be done with FP.  Their fees are ridiculous.

Message 3 of 7
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats on getting in with AMEX and away from the subprimes.  How long ago did you get your AMEX?  Definitely read through the AMEX 61 day CLI thread for tips and data points.   

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 4 of 7
talithalee

I got my Amex in January of this year.  Since day 61 I have tried monthly to get an increase, with consistent denials for a variety of reasons.  They did let me go over my limit at a 2x rate, which  I BT'd to 2 of my BoA cards at 0% for 15 months.  I always PIF the Amex; maybe that makes them disagreeable.  Besides the 3 cards mentioned, I also have a Discover It (1500), a Sallie Mae Barclaycard (500), a Upromise Barclaycard (650), CapOne Platinum (2250), CapOne QS1 (500), Amazon store card (2700), Fingerhut (4500) two CU MC's (limits 10K and 5K plus LOC 5K)  and some other store cards.  Three BoA cards (4K, 3K and 1200).  I make 140K a year at the moment and have for the last 3 years, with 80K plus prior to that x 5  years.  Old problems were prior to 2006 and there are NO baddies on my CR's, just a lot of recent inquiries during my futile quest to woo Chase and increase my Amex. Totals at the moment are ....well haven't totally figured it all out on a current basis, but some increased spending that was from buying plane tickets for my son and his family to go see my 82 year old mother...and neither she nor I had seen my son in 20 years, so it was worth the credit huts.  Plus doing some improvements on my rented home (landlord reimburses when jobs complete).  I always pay at least 2x minimum on my cards, if not more or PIF.  I have no problem handling the bilks I have right now...could even handle more, though don't necessarily need more.  Amex and Chase are becoming more a challenge thing at the moment, though will give things some aging time.  AAoA is about 3 years with oldest line being Amex backdated to 1993.  Also have Lowes stuck at 1000, but Home Depit, which started at 500 is now 7800 through regular requested CLIs  for the home improvements.  Just got and increase on my SAMs card from 767 to 1750, though doubt they will upgrade me to the MC.  Did get the Walmart store card upgrade to Discover with 2200 limit.  Kinda me in a nutshell there.  Probably more than you wanted to know too.

Message 5 of 7
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

congrats!!!! Thats a step to prime approvals.

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 6 of 7
notfancy
Valued Contributor

@SunriseEarth wrote:

Congrats on getting in with AMEX and away from the subprimes.  How long ago did you get your AMEX?  Definitely read through the AMEX 61 day CLI thread for tips and data points.   

Added to what Sunrise said- call them and ask them to "change your member since" date. It should then show up as a card backdated to 1996 giving you a very "old" credit card! (don't ask them to backdate, simply ask them to correct your 'member since' date) unless of course, your card already shows that way.

edit- never mind your later post said you already did this but I didn't read it all the way.

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.