cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finance Apple Ipad Air, easy credit boost?

tag
yfan
Valued Contributor

Re: Finance Apple Ipad Air, easy credit boost?

@sean23 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks a lot for the responses, Luscher, I have 3 accounts that i make payments on regularly. In one of the score breakdowns i saw it said something to the effect that I should get more credit cards to up my score, as the number of accounts i have is lower than the average. Sounds counterintuitive and weird, but...who knows? I guess if i had 4 accounts, I could keep balances down on each more effectively. (2 cards are around 33% usage, probably the biggest detriment to my score). 

Thanks guys!

Where are you getting your scores from?

Yeah, I smell fakos. Victor - the thing is, the little merit there is to the idea that you should get another credit card to improve your credit is entirely due to the assumption that if you get another card, it adds to your overall credit limit, but not to your overall balance. That does not hold true, however, if you are getting a card in order to put a balance on it! It won't reduce your utilization, and depending on your new limit, may well hurt it, reducing your scores.

So keep paying your other cards down until you are no longer carrying balances on them before getting another card to put something on it.

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everybody for your responses. Credit Karma(which supposedly uses transunion) gives me a 738 2 months ago, while my most recent credit score check using this website gives me 782 Equifax, 777 transunion, and 760 experian. Curious that my transunion would shoot up that much....I have been paying off heavy balances though. 

Message 12 of 17
nax
Regular Contributor

Apple actually has 2 forms of financing! One is the Barclay Card, the other is a loan that is offered through Citizens Bank (my old bank) both options are on their web site. Not saying to do it though!!! Just pointing this out! If you really want/need an iPad I'd wait anyway. Macrumors.com has some info regarding a 12.9" iPad to be announced alongside the new MacMini next month. Which means a bigger iPad for you or a discounted price on the Air in the near future.
Message 13 of 17
chrisw1968uk
Frequent Contributor

I would personally stick it on a 0% card, one which will add an extra yr guarantee - then pay if off - Only suggesting a 0% card in case you cant do it all at once Smiley Wink

Message 14 of 17
destine2grow
Frequent Contributor

I had know idea a loan was offered via Citizens a Bank. It has been rumor of the bigger iPad coming. Although Apple normally release those in March I believe.

Message 15 of 17
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@chalupaman wrote:

That Barclays Apple card doesn't sound that great to me. If you really want to get in with Barclays, consider some of their other cards at least and if you're so concerned about interest, perhaps their Ring Mastercard might be good for you.

I agree, it's good for 0% but that's about it.  I don't think they can PC it later on either.  I'd personally go for a Sallie Mae card and get 0% for 15 months plus the 5% categories.

Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@chalupaman wrote:

That Barclays Apple card doesn't sound that great to me. If you really want to get in with Barclays, consider some of their other cards at least and if you're so concerned about interest, perhaps their Ring Mastercard might be good for you.

It's not all that great. It's your standard card with a not-so-great APR beyond the first purchase. It provides no incentives whatsoever. I think the only benefit of the card, from what people say, is that it's the one with the most lenient underwriting requirements, so it's an easy card to get in the door with Barclay. Beyond that, it's pretty useless given the vast amounts of credit products in the market. You can't even PC it to a better card for the most part.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.