Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fingerhut Freshstart Question

tag
MrCrabs
Regular Contributor

Fingerhut Freshstart Question

Hi all, as my options are obviously limited with a 571 fico score I tried to apply for Fingerhut and to my surprise, I was actually approved! I have a $230 CL and have to put a $30 downpayment on my first purchase. I am sifting through the site currently for something cheap($40-$50 range) to have them start reporting, but I have a two questions.

1. I don't plan on using this card often, but I heard if you PIF with the freshstart card they will shutdown your card as they want you to wait 90-days before PIF, can anyone confrim or deny this? I really don't want to carry a balance due to high interest rate and the items themselves are already inflated to begin with.

2. I was searching the forums and noticed a post that said they now report to all 3 CRA's, Can anyone verify this as well?

Hopefully I can PIF before interest hits and get all 3 reports going, so I'll have my CAP 1 Secured and this one reporting to all 3 major CRA's to help build my revolving history.

Thanks in advance!

Capital One Platinum | $1,500Discover IT | $1,800Victoria's Secret Angel VIP | $500Citi Secured | $200
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Re: Fingerhut Freshstart Question

I dont have a fingerhut card but i dont know of any lender that would hate if you didnt PIF. Usually lenders get scared if you carry a large balance. So i suggest PIF that way it shows you can responsibly use the card. 

As for reporting to all the CRA i always thought all cards did. I could be wrong though. 

Before you go for cap1 wait 6 mos. of aging on this card. Congrats though on approval 

BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 2 of 10
One7
Valued Contributor

@Skye12329 wrote:

I dont have a fingerhut card but i dont know of any lender that would hate if you didnt PIF. Usually lenders get scared if you carry a large balance. So i suggest PIF that way it shows you can responsibly use the card. 

As for reporting to all the CRA i always thought all cards did. I could be wrong though. 

Before you go for cap1 wait 6 mos. of aging on this card. Congrats though on approval 

+1 for the answer to number one. As for the second, yes they do report to all three now. Up until last year they didn't report to EX I believe, but they started reporting to all late last year. Good luck on your journey

EX 810 EQ 805 TU 792 Diners WEMC 15k Chase United Club VS 15k | Hyatt VS 25k | Ritz VI 5k | Frdm VS 6k | CSP VS 5k | Mariott VS 6k | Amzn VS 16k Citi ExecAA WEMC 18k | TYP VS 7k | Costco VS 9k | Hilton Reserve VS 6k | Best Buy Visa 5k BofA Travel VS 30k | Cash VS 41k | Merrill+ VS 46k Barclay Rwds WMC 6k | Hawaiin WEMC 10k | JetBlue WEMC 8k | Aviator S WEMC 6k Amex Plat: NPSL | BCP 8k | SPG 3k WF Rwds VS 9k | Propel World Amex 25k | Dillards Amex 2k BBVA NBA Amex 10k Cap1 GM WEMC 8k | QS Visa 3k | Saks WEMC 9k NASA 30k Discover It 7k | US Bank Cash+ VS 15k | Flex Perks VS 20k ||| Total Rwds VS 12k | SG Rwds 11k | Walmrt MC 8k | Lowes 17k | Bowflex 9k | J Deere 15k | TJ Max 4k | Care 15k | HDepot 20k | Amzn 5k | PPal Extras 8k | Chvron 10k | Macys 15k | JCrew 18k | Marvel 8k | Stash VS 8k | Cabelas 10k | Statefarm 12k | Nordstrom Visa 10k \\\\Gardening since January////
Message 3 of 10
MrCrabs
Regular Contributor

Okay well I found out I am not actually getting the card right away but the fresh start is an installment loan and after it is PIF I will get a credit card. I still see conflicting information though. Some are saying if I pay off immediately they will not issue card, others say they paid off immediately and still got card, so I am stuck on what to do. I found something for $50 which is the minimum, kind of frustrating because what I really wanted was $49.99 and it wouldn't allow me to checkout because it was under $50 :/

Ended up costing me $70 with shipping, Yikes!

Good to know they report to all 3 agencies at least.

Capital One Platinum | $1,500Discover IT | $1,800Victoria's Secret Angel VIP | $500Citi Secured | $200
Message 4 of 10
NycGirl41
Contributor

My experience is kinda interesting. I was approved for the Fresh Start program on 5/6. After my approval I decided I wanted to cancel my Fresh Start account being that I was approved for some Commenity Bank cards the day after. I called Fingerhut CSR and said I wanted to cancel asap. The CSR said that I can cancel just as long as I paid the full balance on the item that I purchased and after that the account would automactically be canceled. So as soon as I got off the phone with the CSR I PIF immediately. To my surprise on 5/20 I get an email congradulating me on graduating from the Fresh Start program and now I have $250 in credit. I honestly thought if I PIF right away and didn't make any monthly payments, my account would be closed... even the CSR confirmed that. But strangely they gave me credit anyway. I don't even use the card but I figured I would just hold on to it for a year and see if I get any CLI's. I'm thinking they went ahead and gave me credit right away because they didn't want to lose me as a customer? IDK but I guess for certain customers they will give you credit anyway even if you PIF

Starting Score (May 2014): 580 TU | 574 EQ | 572 EX
Current Score (April 2015): 673 TU | 650 EQ | 664 EX

Message 5 of 10
MrCrabs
Regular Contributor

That is interesting, I think I am going to make one payment and try to PIF after that and see if I still get the card. I also applied for Victorias Secret card same day but got the dreaded 7-10 day mailing letter, So I am sure I am denied of that one. I wanted to get that one and just let my girlfriend use it here and there for stuff she needed while using it to build my credit, but hopefully between my cap 1 secured and fingerhut card I will be able to get easier approvals later down the road.

Message 6 of 10
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

Hello, I just finished the program. My intentions were to make two payments and then pay in full but when I called I was told that I was not completing the program correctly and would not be upgraded if I paid it off so quickly. So my advice to you, is to do THREE more than minimum (like three more dollars) and then pay in full. I did that and I now have the revolving line and my freshstart installment shows closed with good history.

I hope this helps. 

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 7 of 10
MrCrabs
Regular Contributor

Okay, thank you. I will make 3 payments and then PIF. Also how often do you have to use the card to keep it active? I don't plan on doing a lot of purchasing with it, but at the same time, don't want it to close at least until I can start getting prime cards to replace my secured card and this one.

Message 8 of 10
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

@MrCrabs wrote:

Okay, thank you. I will make 3 payments and then PIF. Also how often do you have to use the card to keep it active? I don't plan on doing a lot of purchasing with it, but at the same time, don't want it to close at least until I can start getting prime cards to replace my secured card and this one.

Well, my plan was after I got upgraded to this revolving line, make three more payments, pay in full and then not use it at all. I heard they do credit line increases fairly quick so I'm basically trying to see if that will give me increases. And if I need to show activity I'll buy somehing on clearance that I can always use like towels or something. Just to keep getting increases. I have seen people say they got increases automatically but one will see. 

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 9 of 10
CenturyChild
Frequent Contributor

Im not sure about the early payoff, but back when I done it they told me Id be upgraded to a regular account after paying off a purchase on FreshStart. The CSR made no mention of how long it had to be though.

But I done $100 over 3 payments.

FWIW,  Fresh Start reports as a Installment loan.   You regular account will be a revolving/charge account. (Store Card)

So it probably would be a good idea to do at least 3 payments,for a little payment history. At least IMO.

Fingerhut may be overpriced, but I can say when I started out they helped me get going. So they arent all that bad. At least temporarily to get you going and start building history.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.