Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fingerhut ain't that bad

tag
ChesterPDexter
Established Contributor

Re: Fingerhut ain't that bad

I don't think anyone was trying to say they're the best store in the world, or the model from which all businesses should be built from, compared to, and should aspire to be like, but they have their place when trying to rebuild credit.

When you have to start from the bottom, you do what you have to do.  And you read carefully, take advantage of good offers, and buy a little of only what is fairly priced.  I bought from them more than 10 years ago and still have the small TV and Yamaha keyboard I bought then!  They are in awesome shape and my kids still use the keyboard (the TV is sort of in semi-storage, but it has a blue translucent console around it, it's very cute, and it works great!  The keyboard is one of the best things I ever bought for my kids.

I started with Merrick and some other bottom-feeder credit cards whose name I can't even remember, and now I have more than $50K of available credit from banks like Chase, Citi, Navy Federal, USAA and others.

Valued Contributor

@QAMngrGirl wrote:

I have Bill Me Later too Smiley Happy

As for the rest of why Fingerhut is "bad", I know how to read, and use the FREE shipping promos (as listed in my original post). Additionally, not everything on their site (or in their catalogue) is way overpriced. Again, the total of $75 in purchases made was PIF before any interest hit, 24% or otherwise. Just because they target people lower ranked than the best ever credit card holders doesn't mean we are all completely ignorant.

I never meant to mean that everyone that gets it is ignorant. I really meant the people who get it and complain about it, much like everything else where people do not read.

@nyancat wrote:

Thank you, I'm glad I sound like your mom. I couldn't find the APR info in a quick 2 minute comparison shopping trip to their site. Didn't say it wasn't there, just that it wasn't clear. Just... there are better options. Much better options. I will be fair and say it's not Rent-A-Center level bad. But still, it's bad.

And I never said anyone was ignorant... just that they're targeting people who are by making it hard to understand their pricing, not clearly listing MODEL NUMBERS (essential to comparison shopping), etc.

True, you never said anyone was inept, that was me. I know there are multiple better options than them. A well known store card is a better place to start, which is what I did. I have no experience with Rent-A-Center either, but I was told by other people that if you actually buy the stuff you rent on their plan, it costs a lot more than just buying it. Really, I was just saying that people should not just jump to the first place they see that gives credit. If I did that, I would have a Horizon credit card, First Premier, Credit One, and a few others. I have never had to rebuild, but it's the same when you are young and have limited/no credit. Up until last year I was constantly denied credit by banks, except Macys and Amazon store card. It may have had something to do with me turning 21, because nothing else changed, but still, I was in that position once.

Message 12 of 18
nyancat
Established Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

True, you never said anyone was inept, that was me. I know there are multiple better options than them. A well known store card is a better place to start, which is what I did. I have no experience with Rent-A-Center either, but I was told by other people that if you actually buy the stuff you rent on their plan, it costs a lot more than just buying it. Really, I was just saying that people should not just jump to the first place they see that gives credit. If I did that, I would have a Horizon credit card, First Premier, Credit One, and a few others. I have never had to rebuild, but it's the same when you are young and have limited/no credit. Up until last year I was constantly denied credit by banks, except Macys and Amazon store card. It may have had something to do with me turning 21, because nothing else changed, but still, I was in that position once.

Turning 21 would've made a big difference due to the CARD Act, yes. I never had any trouble getting credit since I'd been an authorized user on my parents' accounts since 15, so I'll be fair - I don't know what it's like. I've *knock on wood* never been denied an application for credit.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 13 of 18
Give_Me_Credit_Please
Regular Contributor

I agree with you. Fingerhut is not for everyone but is for someone who istrying to rebuild credit, that is what Fingerhut is design to do. Is their price over charged? Absolutely!! but I believe that's the price you have to pay for the risk they have to take. It's easy for someone who has good credit and have noe need for Fingerhut but for someone trying to re-build or establish credibility is excellent for that. I know when I started to re-build, Fingerhut gave me cl for $400 where no one else would.

I had this account for 3 years now and purchase a few items. Fingerhut would not be the first place to purchase anything because of the over charge but it did it's purpose. The other great thing about Fingerhut is sometimes they email me offers for 20-30% off an item, with this discount, the item would cost the same as any other store and then I'll take advantage of that.

Message 14 of 18
QAMngrGirl
Frequent Contributor

@Give_Me_Credit_Please wrote:

I had this account for 3 years now and purchase a few items. Fingerhut would not be the first place to purchase anything because of the over charge but it did it's purpose. The other great thing about Fingerhut is sometimes they email me offers for 20-30% off an item, with this discount, the item would cost the same as any other store and then I'll take advantage of that.

Percentage off & Free Shipping = the only purchases I made Smiley LOL

Message 15 of 18
Unique620
Frequent Contributor

I personally only have issues with there prices. They are not the only ones over priced. I shop on QVC and HSN and they sale items that I can get cheaper locally. I guess that how they stay profitable.

Mcu_platinum_cardDiscoverQuicksilverAmazonFreedomSapphirePenFed_Credit_Union_Power_Cash_CardAMEX_BCPDeltaHhiltonAmex_platinumAppleNavy PlatinumCash rewardsNavy Platinum

Message 16 of 18
Give_Me_Credit_Please
Regular Contributor

YUP!!!  Gotta love those percentage off and free shipping!!! HSN & QVC are priced higher than most local retailer. I guess people shop there because of the convenience and actually see the host test out the product in front of you. Also "flex pay" helps too.

Message 17 of 18
boobear720

Was approved for $ 400 line of credit on march 3/6 after calling the Credit Dept to answer some security questions to make sure who I am placed an order on the same day for $ 147.98 then placed a other order on 3/10 $113 then used finger hut's bill pay on 3/22 $162.00 using my checking account a couple of days later on 3/27 got a statement for min due of $ 9.99 due on 4/15 used the bill pay again using a diff checking account to show good payment history for $ 15.00 got an email saying I was approved for $ 500 more so total of $ 900 line of credit within 30 days or so good luck . Just ordered $209 will pay at least $175 and see if they up my line of credit again .

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.