cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Amex CLI…60 Days or 6 months?

tag

First Amex CLI…60 Days or 6 months?

Hello everyone,

I was looking for some advice. I recently was approved for a Blue Cash Preferred, which I was VERY excited about. However, Amex gave me a limit of only $1,000. Earlier in the year I got limits of $4,000 and $5,000 from Chase and Discover. I already have a PR Gold Amex as well.

In doing some research, it seems like the established procedure is to request a CLI of three times the current limit ($3,000 for me). There is some conflicting info on whether this should occur at 60 days or after 6 months. Any thoughts? I'm at about 30% utilization and scores are about 710.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: First Amex CLI…60 Days or 6 months?

@119574 wrote:

Hello everyone,

I was looking for some advice. I recently was approved for a Blue Cash Preferred, which I was VERY excited about. However, Amex gave me a limit of only $1,000. Earlier in the year I got limits of $4,000 and $5,000 from Chase and Discover. I already have a PR Gold Amex as well.

In doing some research, it seems like the established procedure is to request a CLI of three times the current limit ($3,000 for me). There is some conflicting info on whether this should occur at 60 days or after 6 months. Any thoughts? I'm at about 30% utilization and scores are about 710.

Thank you.

I think it's on day 61 then every 6 months.

Message 2 of 7
crackiein
Valued Member

Day 61 is correct and you should reduce your utilization if at all possible.

IMHO, Amex doesn't like to see balances carried over which may have contributed to the CL you initially received.

Message 3 of 7
stone
Regular Contributor

three times?

I got CITI CC with 3000 CL, i request 6000 denied, then 3000 deined. then 1000 passed.

Message 4 of 7
SevenNEW
Established Contributor

@stone wrote:

three times?

I got CITI CC with 3000 CL, i request 6000 denied, then 3000 deined. then 1000 passed.

Three times applies to the first CLI with Amex. (Not sure how City works). For Amex, it also depends on other factors, like debt / income ratio and existing CL -- the automatic system will not go above 25k.

SevenNEW, Garden Nerd - In the Garden until 2015!
4.2K 10K 24.6K
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@119574 wrote:

Hello everyone,

Thank you.

I had my Blue Cash 61 days 2K CL, on the 61st day I called and asked for 3X my current CL (6K total CL) and was instantly approved, I made sure that I had only one CC reporting a small bal (1% util) at the time I requested the CLI.

I'm not exactly sure if having only the one CC and 1% util helped, but I think it didn't hurt, so if I were you, I would try to have the least amount of CC's with balances and make sure your util is not real high when you make your CLI request. YMMV.

Message 6 of 7

Great! Thanks for the advice, everyone.

Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.