Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First CC, Discover More Student

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

First CC, Discover More Student

Just thought I'd share I've been very recently (instantly) approved for a Discover More Student Card (which is the same as the regular except the intro APR is for nine months vs the regular 15.

I was approved for a 1k CL, which is fine by me and the interest is at the top of the 3 tiers of 18.99%.

Needless to say I'm excited that my first card is one with a great rewards program, and I didn't have to trudge through secured cards and such.

I'm 19, have some student loans that I'm already paying which definately could have helped...

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

Re: First CC, Discover More Student

Congratulations!! I got approved for the More card as well when I was 18. When you call and they ask you if your credit limit is ok, please tell them no and try to see if they can increase it. lol

Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 2 of 7
MsLadyRover
Valued Contributor

Congratulations!

Starting Score: 639 (Walmart TU)
Current Score: TU 715 (Barclay) EX 685 (myFICO) EQ 697 (myFICO)
Goal Score: 700 Across the Board (Mortgage Goal Achieved 1/31/2012!)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 7
jsucool76
Super Contributor

My sister just got approved for this card today as her first credit card, except she got the 15 month into APR (though she is a student) she got a 2.5k CL which I was really surprised about. She got a mail pre-approval offer and was very hesitant to apply, but I talked her into it since she had no inquiries on her report ever. 

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lucky! Haha. I never got a pre-approval thing in the mail, just randomly applied online. I had a couple of inquiries (one from a Visa Card through my bank, and another for the Amazon Rewards card). For now, especially for this quarter, I'll use it for gas to reap the rewards, I'm also just gonna throw my phone bill on autopay right to the discover as well. Hopefully in 6 months or so I can get a CLI.

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Message 5 of 7
jsucool76
Super Contributor

I applied through a pre-approval for it a couple months back and got denied. I was showing my sister the shop discover thing, there is TONS of bonus cash back offers for online purchases there, make sure you check it out. 

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ya, I was checking it out earlier. They have some great deals (some stores up to 20% Cash Back!). I also like that you can redeem the cash back for gift cards over the amount.. ie.. $20 cashback get's you a $25 gift card. They seem really nice and friendly on the phone as well. (I had already spoke to them before I saw that I should ask for a higher limit but, meh.).

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.