Did you mean: 

First CC for someone with high credit from loans

tag
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Re: First CC for someone with high credit from loans

@slweal87 wrote:

@KennyS2006 wrote:
I have a question that's related to this OP's post... would people like this be approved for the Quicksilver do you think? Sure, it might be a triple pull but for people with no credit and looking to start would you think Cap1 would approve them?

With no credit history probably not. I was asking about someone with credit history from student and auto loans but no revolving credit history.

For no history I would try a secured or student credit card or maybe use the shopping cart trick and get a store card.

They're in the same situation as the OP... has had student loans and auto loan on her profile as well.

Message 11 of 13
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

+1

Hey All!  I've seen some success with Discover by individuals with the same situation. 

I'm sure some of the approval amounts $1K - $2K was due to income.  I suspect with a higher income- you might gleen a higher starting limit if approved.  It's iffy.

However- my recommendation is starting at a CU.  Being able to speak with a loan officer has it's merits and with a nice starting limit- it will set you up for other lenders in 4-6 months time.  Just my recommendation. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 12 of 13
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Your friend is in a similar situation to where I was back in 2012. I had tons of student loans with positive history, a car loan, but no revolving credit. My first application in 2010 was with Citi and I was denied. So I got discouraged from applying for quite some time. Finally, in 2012 I found these forums and did lots of research on the type of rewards I wanted and my chances for approval. In the end, I chose to apply for the Capital One Cash Rewards (predecessor to the Quicksilver) with NO annual feecosts was a great decision - $3,000 CL approval. 

If your co-worker doesn't have any baddies, there is no reason to go back to a rebuilder stage, but there is reason to take the process slowly. Not all cards/companies are within his/her reach. But, plenty of good rewards are available with companies willing to give newbies a shot. A friend of mine had success earlier this year getting a discover under these circumstances (student loans, car loan, no baddies, no revolving credit) and now has a credit limit of $7,500+. As you can tell from this post and many others, Capital One has a history of taking a chance on those of us without existing cards. So do Some research to help. For example, how many posts can you find on this forum with people in similar positions (no revolving credit) who got approved for the Freedom? 25 minutes using the search function goes a long way. Here's my friend's stats:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-App-Approvals/Unique-Discover-IT-Approval-Story-No-Previ...

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.