Established Contributor
UFGuy2006

Re: First Credit Card App - Citi - SSA-89 form?

thatguyyoulove wrote:

I filled out the form and sent everything in (including a copy of my most recent paystub just in case). Got approved for a $2,000 CL 3 days later. Woohoo, my first card! :smileyvery-happy:

Now I just need to get everything setup correctly and figure out how to pay the card off pre-statement to keep the utilization down. I have put about $85 on it and would like to pay that off before spending any more (to keep my utilization <5% , unless that is TOO conservative of a utilization?). It says in the little help icon on the page:

"Be sure to pay at least the minimum payment due by your due date but not more than your Current Balance."

I am trying to pay exactly my current balance but get the error:

"You have entered an amount greater than your statement balance. Please re-enter an amount less than or equal to your statement balance. "

My statement balance is obviously $0 as I just got the card. It says that the payment for this $0.00 minimum balance was June 7th.

Can I not pay before my statement comes out? I may be interpreting things incorrectly on paying off chunks to keep utilization low. I would ideally like to pay everything off every week or so. I was under the impression that you want to pay it all off (most of the time) before the statement is even cut. Is this wrong?

Here is a screenshot, with sensitive information blanked out, of the payment page.

Congrats! Citi will definitely grow with you in time!

FICO: EX: 735 (5/14); TU: 776 (5/14); EQ 711 (5/14)

In My Wallet: Amex X 5 | Barclays X 2 | BOA X 1 | CapOne X 3 | Chase X 3 | Citi X 5 | DCU X 1 | Discover X 1| Fidelity X 1 | Fifth Third X 1 | PenFed X 1 | PSECU X 1 | USAA X 2 | US Bank X 1 | Walmart X 1 | Wells Fargo X 1

Holding off apps for the next 6 months! Last inq 5/27/2014.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+