Did you mean: 

First Credit Card for an 18 year old

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

First Credit Card for an 18 year old

Hi:

I new to this forums......

My daughter just turned 18 years old and advise her to get a credit card so she can start building her credit history.

She will graduate from high school in May 2009, she is an excellent student with a 3.9 GPA. Very responsible girl, works 2 days a week at the Mall in a store, sometimes she works total of 8 hrs. In a weekend and sometimes less or none depending on her schedule. She baby-sit and makes extra money.

I was wondering where will be the best place for her to apply for a credit card that doesn't have high fees.

Thanks

Mom in GA

Message Edited by CEV on 01-22-2009 07:24 PM
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
oracles
Valued Contributor

Re: First Credit Card for an 18 year old

There are alot of credit card companies that have student cards. Do a search on here for student credit cards and read some post for the best cards.

Hope this helps

Message 2 of 15
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

just one question, is it a boy or a girl?! just kidding, you changed a couple times though, I got a kick out of it.

I personally would go with a student card from Bank of America

Also maybe a local credit union in your town is a good option 

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oracles:

Thanks I will do a search.

Message 4 of 15
oracles
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Oracles:

Oh and BTW, welcome to the forums.

You will definitely learn alot here. Please ask all the questions you want.

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Creditaddict:

Thanks for the observation, as you may know English is not my first language and after working all day and taking care of all my four little ones, by 10:00 PM my head is not where it suppose to be. By the way IT'S A GIRL

Message Edited by CEV on 01-22-2009 07:28 PM
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@oracles wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Oracles:

Oh and BTW, welcome to the forums.

You will definitely learn alot here. Please ask all the questions you want.

Thanks for the Welcome

Message 7 of 15
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Creditaddict:

Thanks for the observation, as you may know English is not my first language and after working all day and taking care of all my four little ones, by 10:00 PM my head is not where it suppose to be. By the way IT'S A GIRL

Message Edited by CEV on 01-22-2009 07:28 PM

No problem, and welcome to the board, great people here with a wealth of knowledge.

Message 8 of 15
Chopbrocoli
Established Contributor

She should be able to get a student CC with her current bank with no problems. My first CC (student edition) was with Wells Fargo. All I needed to do was provide proof of my enrollment in college and state my income and parents income. No fees whatsoever but just a high interest rate of 19.99% after 5 months. After a year, I got my APR reduced to 9.99%
AMEX Gold Premier Rewards | SPG AMEX | Bank of America Power Rewards | Merrill Plus | United Presidential Plus | Saks World Elite
Message 9 of 15
WannaHouse
Valued Contributor

Check with your bank and see what they may have. Also, if you have any credit cards that she can be an authorized user on, it would really help her as well. Your credit card needs to have a long history and be in great standing (low use on it). The higher the limit, the better. It will give her a great boost. Add that with her own student card, and she will be on her way to excellent credit.

Good job mom for looking out for her future.  Smiley Happy

Kathy

We are finally homeowners!!

Closed May 5th-30 yr fixed at 5.25%.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.