cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Credit Card

tag
rstpr

First Credit Card

I'm considering applying a credit card to buy photography equipment valued at 1400 dollars for this Christmas season ... my interest is to buy my equipment after christmas, pay everything in full for the month of January 2014 is a good idea? My credit score is about 660 and i want to improve ...any advice
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
zerobacan
Established Contributor

Re: First Credit Card

Discover IT you can buy it on the online mall and get good cash back
Amex PRG NPSL, Amex Delta 2k (AU) Discover iT 5k, BOFA Siggy $5k, BOFA AlaskaAir Siggy 5k, BBVA Compass $5k! Macy's $4.5k, C1 $2.5, SFCU $2.5k, SFCU LOC $2k, Paypal SmartC $4k, Sam's 5.5k Victoria Secret $2k, Kay's $1.7k.,76/Citi $1.5k Amazon $5k, Walmart Disco $3k JC Penny $4k, C1 $2.5, BBRZ 700.
Starting:TU:536 EXP:561 : EQ:552 Current:TU:680 Walmart (2-15-14)EXP:712 FICO!! (12-4-13):EQ:622 (FICO 2-6-14) Uti 27% Goal: 720 By 12-13.
Message 2 of 11
jenn_bar
Frequent Contributor

Where are you planning on buying it?

But yes, seems like Chase Freedom or Discover IT are going to be your best options!
Message 3 of 11
mlj01
Established Member

Discover It may be your best choice, with the Shop Discover program, as well as if you buy online during this quarter it is atleast 5% back.

Are you a student perhaps? They do have different offers for regular and student. I was approved for the student card with no prior credit card, and only prior credit besides my federal loans, is a car loan I got last November. If approved for the student card you can get $50 after one purchase within 3 months of approval. Nice little bonus, and you may get lucky, and get 0% apr for 12 months!

SALLIE MAE WORLD MASTERCARD: $5000 | AMEX BCE: $3000 | DISCOVER IT STUDENT: $3000| CHASE FREEDOM: $2500

Discover FICO: 746
Message 4 of 11
Networth
Frequent Contributor

If your planning to pay it over time just wanted to throw in Chase Slate as an option. 

Chase Sapphire Reserve - American Express Blue Sky - Chase Freedom - - Chase Freedom Unlimited - BankAmericard Travel Rewards -

TU 813 EX 809 EQ 812
Message 5 of 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

First ever credit card?
Message 6 of 11
FaaastCash
Established Member

Credit cards can be a valuable resource when choosen carefully. You want something affordable, reliable, and with the capability to get you where you want to go. First-timers might do better by applying for a credit card through the bank where they hold a checking or savings account. Interest rate is an unfortunate reality of credit card payments. Know the rates before taking a decision.

Message 7 of 11
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@rstpr wrote:
my interest is to buy my equipment after christmas, pay everything in full for the month of January 2014 is a good idea?

It's really neither good nor bad.  Some would argue that one shouldn't finance any items in this price range.  I don't see a problem based on the timeframe you've posted.  If you stick with it then it can help you in building your credit.

@rstpr wrote:
any advice

I'm not sure we can really offer any advice other than the usual for builders and rebuilders.  If you can't get unsecured then secured may be your best bet.  Don't overlook credit unions and financial institutions that you already have a relationship with as some of them are a bit more lenient and offer better limits and terms.  Definitely look into cards that will maximize rewards on what and where you're buying if you qualify for them.  Discover and the Freedom have already been suggested above and I'd +1 them.

Message 8 of 11
rstpr

thansk for all replys..... is will be my first credit card. .... to suggest buy online, i cant , because i need the money asap because is a used kit of lights , and lens, i will buy to photographer in my country... is great offer, but i dont want to do a loan, because the minimun is 2,000 and dont need so much.... i want to buy with the cash of the credit card, and pay all in january..... and i want to keep for emergency later.  i need more o less 1,400 and the asap !!

Message 9 of 11
parakleet
Valued Contributor

@rstpr wrote:

thansk for all replys..... is will be my first credit card. .... to suggest buy online, i cant , because i need the money asap because is a used kit of lights , and lens, i will buy to photographer in my country... is great offer, but i dont want to do a loan, because the minimun is 2,000 and dont need so much.... i want to buy with the cash of the credit card, and pay all in january..... and i want to keep for emergency later.  i need more o less 1,400 and the asap !!

Dude, you haven't given enough information for anyone to know what you're asking for? I assume you're asking what CC we would recommend based on what you want to do, which is to buy some stuff next month but you say that you want to buy with cash. Cash advances on CCs are terrible options with outrageous rates - not worth it IMO. What's your current credit profile? Since you say you have no CCs, do you have any other TLs? AAoA? Baddies? Income?

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.