Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Month about to Cut, Is Util going to hurt me

tag
tornadoguy
Regular Contributor

First Month about to Cut, Is Util going to hurt me

I know its probably ridiculous to ask, but don't want to screw up here. For various reasons, I've got a charge I want to make in the pre-statement danger zone (closes the 20th). Is a reasonably high utilization reporting (290 out of 500) for the first month of a card going to upset my reports and potential for an auto CLI? Usage history for the month has been pretty much charge, post, paid off to keep util down (~1k through if I get this charge on). Now its possible the charge will post, and Ill be able to pay before the statement closes, but if not is this really a bad thing?

How long is util retained on your report?

CK TU FAKO - 762, TU FICO - 781, EX Fako 734, EX FICO 764 - 3/29/2014
INQ: TU 4, EX 8, EQ 1 |
AMEX PRG (01/11), AMEX BCE (01/11): $2.5k, AMEX EDP (3/11): $6k Chase Freedom(07/13): $2k,
Barclay Arrival+ WMC (3/14): $6.3k, Barclays US Air MC (9/14): $2.5k, CSP (9/14): 12k
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: First Month about to Cut, Is Util going to hurt me

@tornadoguy wrote:

I know its probably ridiculous to ask, but don't want to screw up here. For various reasons, I've got a charge I want to make in the pre-statement danger zone (closes the 20th). Is a reasonably high utilization reporting (290 out of 500) for the first month of a card going to upset my reports and potential for an auto CLI? Usage history for the month has been pretty much charge, post, paid off to keep util down (~1k through if I get this charge on). Now its possible the charge will post, and Ill be able to pay before the statement closes, but if not is this really a bad thing?

Utilization is just a snapshot, so for score purposes, previous high utilizations don't impact future scores.  Hence micro-managing util only matters if you are about to app, or think a creditor might give you a score-based auto-CLI.  This is unlikely in the first month, so I wouldn't worry at all.

Message 2 of 4
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@tornadoguy wrote:

It's not.  As stated above, utlization is a snapshot.  "Current" is implied in utilization.

Message 3 of 4
myjourney
Super Contributor

For Fico scoring UTL has no memory ....

So last months UTL has no effect on this months scoring

Only this month UTL has an effect on this months scoring

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.