Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Post! Capital One issue

tag
Fresh-Start
Frequent Contributor

First Post! Capital One issue

Hi Everyone! I'm new to the MyFICO forums, although I've been lurking for a few weeks now.  Glad to be here!

Hoping I can get some feedback on an issue I had with Capital One last night.  I signed on to their website and discovered that one of my accounts was "Restricted" and they had a message for me to call in.  So I did.  Once I called in, the Customer Service rep told me that they had received a payment of $20 that I made through my bank like I always do, but that they needed to confirm if it was MY account that it was paid through.  Well, I was completely confused because this is my "Secured" account that I've had with them for almost two years now and have always used the same account to make a payment through my Banks' Bil Payer. 

They wanted to do a 3rd Party call with my bank to confirm that the account was mine.  Well my bank (Bank of America) would not do that.  They tried for almost 45 minutes.  It was crazy!  FINALLY, after being passed around to various Cust. Serv. Rep's, I told them ENOUGH.  I would not go through this over a $20 payment that was made directly from my bank.  Eventually, they lifted the Restriction. But I could not believe out of no where they put me through all this drama over a $20 payment when I've made all of my payments in the last two years from the exact same bank account for various amounts and never had a problem..  Has anyone had this happen before with a payment made through their Bill Payer?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

Re: First Post! Capital One issue

It's a crap shoot, basically.

It hasn't actually happened to me, though...and I've been paying through my bank's bill pay service every two weeks on the nose for seven months now.

When they do flag accounts though, it's usually for "new accounts" and on "unusually large payments"..or some other BS...

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 2 of 15
Fresh-Start
Frequent Contributor

@injustifiiable wrote:

It's a crap shoot, basically.

It hasn't actually happened to me, though...and I've been paying through my bank's bill pay service every two weeks on the nose for seven months now.

When they do flag accounts though, it's usually for "new accounts" and on "unusually large payments"..or some other BS...

Yeah they really seem to be sloppy and all over the place.  I've made payments for small amounts such as $20 and as high as $500 etc.. and have never had a problem until now.  It's wierd. 

I'm thinking of closing both of my Capital One accounts down in January anyway when when the Annual Fee's will be due.  I think it's time to move on.  They will continue to report though right? Because my Secured card is my oldest account.  It will be two years in Jan. 

Message 3 of 15
john398
Senior Contributor

Unbelievable, for $20 they want to ensure the payments come from your account? I am confused what difference does it make?

Message 4 of 15
Fresh-Start
Frequent Contributor

@john398 wrote:

Unbelievable, for $20 they want to ensure the payments come from your account? I am confused what difference does it make?

Yes! Can you believe that mess?! Talk about fustrating!!! Especially the fact that it was a $20 payment!!!  And I kept asking her why they needed to "verify" my account when the payment came directly from my bank?!?!  It's not like I made the payment Capital One's website or over the phone etc...  It was sent in by the bank via the Bill Payer.  How much more validation do you need?!  Not to mention I actually had to speak to three different Customer Service Reps before it was resolved.   Capital One's Customer Serivce is a freakin' nightmare! Smiley Mad

Message 5 of 15
wallyworld123
Frequent Contributor

good for you for telling them enough. They have some nerve!

Message 6 of 15
Fresh-Start
Frequent Contributor

@wallyworld123 wrote:

good for you for telling them enough. They have some nerve!

Thanks!  Smiley Happy Yes, while I am appreciative of them giving me a chance enough is enough of the poor Customer Service!  

Message 7 of 15
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Wow.... They just hit a new low... Check your email, I noticed after my last conversation with them, I got a customer service survey in my email, and boyyyyy did I rate them accurately and detailed ;-)
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 8 of 15
toppers555
Established Contributor

Speaking of Crapone. I just got done  raging them last night about a payment they held for 10+ days.

TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!

Message 9 of 15
Fresh-Start
Frequent Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
Wow.... They just hit a new low... Check your email, I noticed after my last conversation with them, I got a customer service survey in my email, and boyyyyy did I rate them accurately and detailed ;-)

Aww snap!! Gonna go check now!!!  And good for you!!!

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.