cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Premier Auth User? Cap 1 reconsideration letter?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

First Premier Auth User? Cap 1 reconsideration letter?

Does anyone know if FP does authorized users? I have had the card for nearly 4 months now. I am currently working on hubby's credit (5 accounts removed!) at this time he only has 3 unpaid collections, late payments that are over 3 years old on a Cap 1 card and an old auto loan. But he doesn't have any current installment loans so we haven't been able to get him approved for anything! I know not have a CC is hurting his score. I know FP is a cr*p card and I plan on dumping it as soon as I qualify for something better but he wasn't even approved for a Credit One card!!!

(I don't have any complaints about the FP card at this time (minus the expensive fees and interest rate) it started reporting on all three bureaus within 30 days. I always pay it as soon as I get the statement, I've heard a lot of people say to steer clear of them but its help boost my score from 570 to 616!)

Any suggestions? I thought it would be easier for him to get a card because my credit report has a lot more junk or it but I have current installment loans in good standing which I think helped.

He did have an old Cap 1 card that went to collections and he paid it off years ago, I've read many times that Cap 1 is forgiving so we reapplied but was denied. Should we send a reconsideration letter? Anyone have luck with Cap 1 on that??

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Re: First Premier Auth User? Cap 1 reconsideration letter?

I would ask why he was denied first depending on that answer then ask for a reconsideration.?    You may want to investigate a secured credit card from your bank or credit union.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 2 of 6
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Does anyone know if FP does authorized users? I have had the card for nearly 4 months now. I am currently working on hubby's credit (5 accounts removed!) at this time he only has 3 unpaid collections, late payments that are over 3 years old on a Cap 1 card and an old auto loan. But he doesn't have any current installment loans so we haven't been able to get him approved for anything! I know not have a CC is hurting his score. I know FP is a cr*p card and I plan on dumping it as soon as I qualify for something better but he wasn't even approved for a Credit One card!!!

(I don't have any complaints about the FP card at this time (minus the expensive fees and interest rate) it started reporting on all three bureaus within 30 days. I always pay it as soon as I get the statement, I've heard a lot of people say to steer clear of them but its help boost my score from 570 to 616!)

Any suggestions? I thought it would be easier for him to get a card because my credit report has a lot more junk or it but I have current installment loans in good standing which I think helped.

He did have an old Cap 1 card that went to collections and he paid it off years ago, I've read many times that Cap 1 is forgiving so we reapplied but was denied. Should we send a reconsideration letter? Anyone have luck with Cap 1 on that??

Short answer -- yes. My DH was an AU on my FP card until we both moved on to better options. Best wishes with the rebuild.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 3 of 6
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

He'd be better off getting a FP card of his own; AU's don't count for anything above auto-approvals, which low subprime approvals often aren't.  Also any creditor in that strata will unilaterally ignore them in their internal algorithms / underwriting criteria. 

Did he get denied for a Cap One unsecured or secured?  I'd second the opinion of going with a baby secured card, and the Cap One partially secured one is a decent product.

        
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tinuviel, on his credit report was FP just reporting or did it say he was an auth user? I hear some cards just report and don't state they are just AU.

Yeah I was thinking we may just have to get him his own FP card Smiley Sadthe didn't want to fork over $300. Im just worried about applying to a million places and adding on alot of inquiries.

Cap1 didn't give us a denial reason online. It just said unapproved and gave us info for a secured card and said we'd get a letter.
Message 5 of 6
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

The cap one partially secured card (which is probably the one they're sending the mail to you about along with your denial reasons) is likely cheaper than the FP outright.  Their minimums are incredibly low... if it's offered, take it.

        
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.