Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Premier Card

tag
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: First Premier Card

Thank you for sorting things out, Uniqua and Gigi. 

Message 11 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I appreciate your feedback but do not understand the hostile tone. While this is not the perfect card, I did list the negatives along with the positives for me. I was blacklisted on HSBC until I paid off an 07 joint collection, therfore; my options of rebuilding credit cards were few and far between. Also, I have had to pay 0 fees thusfar, I have paid in full monthly, before bill hits, my card has no AF and I was not hit with instant fees on the 300 limit, The full 300 limit was available right away. I have had the card since 10/09 it reports to all 3 monthly same time, because of this payment history, I got a Capital one platinum mastercard with 0% interst for the first year for initial 300 limit in the credit steps program, every 90 days 04/2010, I get increase, this month goes to 500. The Capital One card was 6 months after my First premier card and in May, I just got an instant approval for JcPenney card, 200, while I still have an old debt for an old JcPenney card almost 7 years ago in college. I believe it is because of the First Premier Card that I got the Capital one pre approved and JcPenney. Now it sits in sock drawer. If you have few other choices, and can handle responsibly, this is the rebuilder option, if not, then I would not recommend. I have not had to pay one dollar in AF or interest but that is because I have been smart about rebuilding my credit this time. I used the First Premier for what I needed, now it will sit in my drawer until it is old enough to close. I just felt that the response was a bit hostile, considering I did list the negatives. Also, please consider that not every person (me) qualifies for the other rebuilders ....

Message 12 of 22
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I appreciate your feedback but do not understand the hostile tone. While this is not the perfect card, I did list the negatives along with the positives for me. I was blacklisted on HSBC until I paid off an 07 joint collection, therfore; my options of rebuilding credit cards were few and far between. Also, I have had to pay 0 fees thusfar, I have paid in full monthly, before bill hits, my card has no AF and I was not hit with instant fees on the 300 limit, The full 300 limit was available right away. I have had the card since 10/09 it reports to all 3 monthly same time, because of this payment history, I got a Capital one platinum mastercard with 0% interst for the first year for initial 300 limit in the credit steps program, every 90 days 04/2010, I get increase, this month goes to 500. The Capital One card was 6 months after my First premier card and in May, I just got an instant approval for JcPenney card, 200, while I still have an old debt for an old JcPenney card almost 7 years ago in college. I believe it is because of the First Premier Card that I got the Capital one pre approved and JcPenney. Now it sits in sock drawer. If you have few other choices, and can handle responsibly, this is the rebuilder option, if not, then I would not recommend. I have not had to pay one dollar in AF or interest but that is because I have been smart about rebuilding my credit this time. I used the First Premier for what I needed, now it will sit in my drawer until it is old enough to close. I just felt that the response was a bit hostile, considering I did list the negatives. Also, please consider that not every person (me) qualifies for the other rebuilders ....

This is very interesting. 

The current T&C on their web site shows a $95 processing fee,  $75 annual fee, continuing $75 annual fee, and and 50% Credit Limit Increase finance charge.  This is actually an improvement in fees, due to new law.   This is the deal which I challenge the recommendation on.  

Please explain how you got the First Premiere Platinum with no fees.   Any card that reports to all 3 and you can use with no fees of any kind is a good rebuilder card.  

Tell us more. 

Message 13 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

My rebuilder cards were:

Net 1st   (taken over by FDIC)

Cross Country (now Applied Bank)  Paid wicked fees.

1st Premier (cancelled upon seeing 300CL and 278 in fees)

Tribute  ( Also cancelled immediately) 

Cap One (Still have this one)  Now a rewards cash back.

From BK to 802.

They all served their purposeSmiley Happy

Message 14 of 22
blacklotus
Regular Contributor

Just my humble opinion. Like OP I went for years without using credit and when my Fico scores were in the dumps I never apped for first premiere because I thought that it would only make my credit worse having a subprime card. But I have read posts that responsible use of cards like first premier can improve your score. I didn't take that route And basically paid for everything with either cash or my debit card. That worked for me but a subprime CC might work in OP's situation. IMHO.

TU Fico 736 EQ Fico 730 (December 2012)
Message 15 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

There are so many fees with 1st premier

you might be better off putting the money up

for a secured card.

Message 16 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have it, that's fine but if you don't???????    If it doesn't work for you oh well, if it something you can manage by paying in full and always using your bill paying service via your checking account it could work.  I got my card before this new 79%  came to play but, I have still manage to not pay fees and got my AF sliced twice.  Most cards have an annual fee now any way. 

If you have the money for a secured card go for it.  If you don't (like I didn't) It can work you have to be smart about it.

Continue to have a great day.

Message 17 of 22
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

I think most agree you should start rebuilding with a least 1 card as soon as you can.   This thread is about whether the First Premiere card is recommended for that purpose.  

IMO, First Premiere is not a good recommendation at this time, might have been in the past.   The fees on this card will cost you about the same as  a secured card maybe more and you don't get it back later.  

Op says in original post that fees were very high, but in later post claims that there were no fees at all.   Sitll wondering about that?

Message 18 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh my gosh, this has gotten ridiculous. I said before and will say again, I was not charged one fee with my First Premier card, I was sent a pre-approval in the mail with a 300 limit, no fees, including no AF for me. The catch, a 79% apr, only if you abuse and do not pay in full. This preapproval was obviously based upon my credit profile and was a card targeted for my score at the time. When I got the first premier card, no fees were taken out, the full 300 was available, still is, there are no Af charges on my First Premier card, only fall back is Apr which is 79% annual, however, this hits if you do not PIF monthly, which I have done since 10/2009. Therefore; I will say again, I have paid no fees, interest, Af, of any kind to First Premier. This card, once again, is sitting in my sock drawer, not being used, waiting for the date that it will be useful and beneficial to my credit report to close. I am aware of the cards you speak of and have been sent offers for those cards, Tribute, even various Premier offers, etc, where there is a 200, 300 limit, but a bunch of fees are charged up front on card. This offer wasnt like that, which is why I finally accepted my first rebuilder card after 6 years of denying requests and reading between the lines of fees that would be auto charged on first statement. First premier may not offer this to everyone, but this was offered to me and again, 6 months later, I received 0% 12 month no interest Capital one pre approval and Jcpenney instant approval last month from the good history of this card. I will say this one last time and then move on to more beneficial topics, I have yet  to pay one penny in interest, fees, or Af to First Premier, my card sits alone in the sock drawer with the full balance, untouched.... Once again, good luck, I choose not to argue points over and over again, what works for some, doesnt work for others....

Message 19 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

And Wolf, I said Annual fees were high, Annual fees, I have paid no other fees, obviously I am a lucky one but it sounds like other poster paid no fees either  other then AF.

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.