Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Premier Credit Card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

First Premier Credit Card?

My husband has one with a $300. We are planning on paying it off and closing it because I hear that it's a horrible card. It is really helping boost our credit though. Can someone tell me why exactly it's a horrible card and which one we should trade it in for? My husband has that one and an Orchard Bank card. His score is 611 last time we checked. His new score will be showing up at the end of this month. Thank you so much.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Re: First Premier Credit Card?

@Anonymous wrote:

My husband has one with a $300. We are planning on paying it off and closing it because I hear that it's a horrible card. It is really helping boost our credit though. Can someone tell me why exactly it's a horrible card and which one we should trade it in for? My husband has that one and an Orchard Bank card. His score is 611 last time we checked. His new score will be showing up at the end of this month. Thank you so much.

I am one of the big critics of First Premier.

The bad thing about First Premier is the cost.   The fees are very high, they even have a fee for increasing the Credit Limit. 

Since it reports to all 3 CB, it will help build your credit history just like any onther card, no better, no worse.   

Now that your husband has it, and has already paid the startup fees, it may not be good to cancel right away.   How old is each card? and what are limits?   He may want to get another card before cancelling this one.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

We've only had them for 3-4 months. Do you know another good card he can get with is credit score?

Message 3 of 6
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Are either one of these secured cards?

Message 4 of 6
vish1
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

We've only had them for 3-4 months. Do you know another good card he can get with is credit score?

I will say secured card with a CU or BofA. Try BofA only if you have no recent baddies.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 5 of 6
Chaos122
Regular Contributor

I agree with the other folks, since youve allready payed all the start up fees plus the first anual fee, you should go ahead and keep the card at least untill the 11th month, then cancel it before the next annual fee.  I had premier for 2 years and i finnaly got rid of it in december, yay me!

Starting Score: TU 608, Eq 618
Current Score: TU 797 Eq 792, Ex 805 (psecu)
Goal Score: 840 across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.