Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Premier and Credit One

tag
ronstar7
Established Contributor

First Premier and Credit One

Hello my lovelies,

So these card will be getting the ax soon for obvious reasons but not before I pay off a few more cards to balance out my ult. Currently at 25%. The cards have a combined limit of 1650, when I close it will make my utl higher if my other cards are not paid down more. My question is right now both FP and Credit One have 0 balances but everytime the statements cuts its shows that annoying monthly fee $6 or so. How can I keep that from showing on the statement? I want it to show a 0 balance as thats what it is becasue I am not using them. Can this be done or am I just hopeful?

Starting scores 12/1/15 EQ 601, TU 626, EX 601

Current Scores 9/17/17 EQ 686 TU 702 EX 655 Goal 700+ across
UTL 7%
Last Inq: 9/20/17
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

Re: First Premier and Credit One

Its been a long time since I've had a First Premier...  Will they allow you to make a payment larger than the balance online?

You can always send them a paper check in the mail for double or triple the amount due.  They will cash it.

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 2 of 8
ronstar7
Established Contributor

@Dalmus wrote:

Its been a long time since I've had a First Premier...  Will they allow you to make a payment larger than the balance online?

You can always send them a paper check in the mail for double or triple the amount due.  They will cash it.

I think I tried to do that once online and the system wouldnt let me do it. Maybe I will try the paper method. Now I just have to order checks lol as I dont use them so I have none. The balances are 0 technically speaking, today the statement cut and it says 6.25 is what is owed (monthly fee).

UTL 7%
Message 3 of 8
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

You could try "pushing" a payment using your bank's bill pay system for the amount of the monthly fee.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 4 of 8
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

Yes, canceling the sub-prime cards will hurt your overall utilization a little bit.    However, with a monthly fee, I would cancel it anyway.   Put the monthly fees to paying off your other cards.  The slightly lower credit score in the short term will not hurt you if you aren't applying for anything.  Utilization does not have a memory.

Message 5 of 8
ronstar7
Established Contributor

@CreditDunce wrote:

Yes, canceling the sub-prime cards will hurt your overall utilization a little bit.    However, with a monthly fee, I would cancel it anyway.   Put the monthly fees to paying off your other cards.  The slightly lower credit score in the short term will not hurt you if you aren't applying for anything.  Utilization does not have a memory.

Thank you for your response, no I dont plan to app for anything right now. I just made a year in the garden, although I know it has no memory I just hate to see from personal standpoint my utl go up lol becuase Ive worked so hard to get it down. I was in the 50's in terms of utl and once what Ive paid hits this month I'll be down to 19% and since Im not due for any more increases at least until May to pad it I have to do it the old fashioned way and pay down lol. Maybe I'll close one at time instead of all together at once. 

UTL 7%
Message 6 of 8
ronstar7
Established Contributor

@OmarGB9 wrote:
You could try "pushing" a payment using your bank's bill pay system for the amount of the monthly fee.

Yeah I'm thinking that is my only option at this point. I hate the sub prime companies although I love them for giving me a chance when no one else would. But I wont miss em lol!

UTL 7%
Message 7 of 8
Creditdreamer
Established Contributor

I don't know about First Premier, but I have Credit One. Just call them and ask them to take away your fees. They told me they couldn't do it so i told them I wanted to cancel the card because the fees were too high. They transferred me to retention, took away my fees, and gave me a CLI. Maybe try the same with First Premier? I'm not sure though.

Starting: EQ 498 TU 501 EX 485 (9/23/11)
As of 5/12: EQ 552 TU 591 EX 572
Credit Repair Journey Bump in the Road
As of 10/15: EQ 511 TU 588 EX 601
Discover TU Fico- 12/31/18: 694; CK EQ- 1/16/19: 634
Goal: All 3 above 700

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.